Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Patrick O'Brian - 20 Aubrey/Maturin novels released Dec. 5

For fans who enjoy historical fiction, this series features British naval officer Jack Aubrey and his physician friend/spy Stephen Maturin, during the time of the Napoleonic Wars.

Here's a very good press release from the publisher, in PDF form:

http://www.patrickobrian.com/pobebookrelease.pdf

If you enjoy the Hornblower novels, you might enjoy these.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-13-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I want them but at $200.00 for all 20, it may take me awhile.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
For fans who enjoy historical fiction, this series features British naval officer Jack Aubrey and his physician friend/spy Stephen Maturin, during the time of the Napoleonic Wars.

Here's a very good press release from the publisher, in PDF form:

http://www.patrickobrian.com/pobebookrelease.pdf

If you enjoy the Hornblower novels, you might enjoy these.

Don
These are great books, and in many ways far better than the Hornblower novels. And I'm glad they are finally available as (legal) eBooks. But at nearly $10 each, when I already have the complete set of both pBooks and Audio books, I'm not sure if I'll be buying them any time soon.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
CWO4 Mustang
CWO4 Mustang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I am a huge fan of this series. In fact, I have started re-reading the series again (read the complete series about 4-5 years ago). I have read and enjoyed other 'sea-faring' series, but this by the best so far. I was thrilled when they finally opened the series in ebook format...I really enjoy my kindle.

This my is my first book forum, so I am anxious to get into some discussion with other fans of the books as I don't really know anyone personally that has read series.

CWO4
CWO4 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWO4 Mustang View Post
I am a huge fan of this series. In fact, I have started re-reading the series again (read the complete series about 4-5 years ago). I have read and enjoyed other 'sea-faring' series, but this by the best so far. I was thrilled when they finally opened the series in ebook format...I really enjoy my kindle.

This my is my first book forum, so I am anxious to get into some discussion with other fans of the books as I don't really know anyone personally that has read series.

CWO4

Welcome to MobileRead.

I'm sure some of our members will be happy to engage you in a conversation here in this thread.

HAVE FUN!

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-27-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWO4 Mustang View Post
This series is alway nice to come back to.

A couple of years ago I searched (in vain) for a similar experience by checking other nautical adventure (e.g. CS Forrester). Obviously I failed, I do not (just) love these novels for their setting and the action, but for the interaction of characters. Another important point for me is that there is happiness and wit found here.
cu andreas
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They're excellent books with astonishingly accurate historical details, except for the obvious fact that Stephen and Jack are fictional characters. I've read these several times over the years, and have both pBook and Audible versions of all of them. But I'm still holding off on buying the eBook versions, since I'm not really ready to re-read them again, and frankly $10 is a bit much for them.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
[...] But I'm still holding off on buying the eBook versions, since I'm not really ready to re-read them again, and frankly $10 is a bit much for them.
in .de/.at there are two Kindle editions available: Harper (EUR 5.55 ) and Norton (EUR 8.67). Compared to other e-books the Harper edition is actually on the cheap side. ;-)
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Ah, the Doctor and the Sea Dog......

I too love this series, but having bought all as p-books, I just can't justify buying for reader - they are far from "quick" reads, and I like to sink into them, in a very comfy chair, and concentrate a bit, aided by some malt perhaps, so it takes (me) quite a while to get through them, and enjoy them again.

And they are one of those works that somehow seem more at home on paper - Sorry to blaspheme here.................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Kerfuffle
Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.Kerfuffle is faster than slow light.

Device: Sony Prs-650 (mine) Sony PRS-T1 (wife's)
As others have said, they are a great series. I also have some of the companion books including A Sea Of Words (which is basically a dictionary kind of thing to help understand the nautical language and background) and Lobscouse (a cookbook which reproduces the recipes from the series).

I highly recommend checking some of the companion books as they make the series much more enjoyable.
Kerfuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post
in .de/.at there are two Kindle editions available: Harper (EUR 5.55 ) and Norton (EUR 8.67). Compared to other e-books the Harper edition is actually on the cheap side. ;-)
In the US, there is one edition, and it's $9.99 a book, agency fixed pricing. Plus tax. And since I know that the author is dead, that's above my gag limit. I'm not sure what I'll do about it, probably nothing. It'll be a couple of years before I'm ready to re-read the series, and I may buy the eBooks then, or simply listen to them on Audible. If the price stays at $10, however, I doubt I'll be willing to pay that.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I guess arcadata mentioned this in her thread, but Google Play has the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey series for $3.99 and Amazon has matched it (or vice versa).

Google

arcadata's mention of Amazon
14 of them.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Only in the US, it would seem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Was able to get 20 of them, all but The Ionian Mission (book 8), from Amazon for $3.99 each the other day. Heck of a deal.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote