Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #27016
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
Dngrsone wrote the following as part of a post:

Your post reminded me of a book I recently read, also by Shannon Hale: Ever After High - The Storybook Of Legends. A novelization of the first story arc of the animated series, it is an excellent read, and adds depth to the story. I will give another read along with her other books in the series (she has written three total).

BTW, I just checked Wikipedia and she has written a sequel to the Squirrel Girl novel you mentioned above: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: 2 Fuzzy, 2 Furious.
I may have to pick that one up. Meanwhile, I finished Whiskey Sour and am almost through with Chains of Command, the next Frontlines book.

I liked Whiskey Sour... I may get some more books in the series, I am pretty picky when it comes to that genre.

Last edited by Dngrsone; 03-23-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #27017
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I finished Ragnarök this morning and also listened to Jhumpa Lahiri read her short story "The Boundary" from the New Yorker Writer's Voice podcast.

Embarking on the audio of Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh now.

I expect to make a big dent in the Yang novellas this evening as it is a reading night with my wife.
Well... I've been battling a viral infection (not the flu, but feels just like it) for 6 days now. Our fevers broke last night, so I am now upright and ready to update all the reading I did while bedridden:

Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh [3/5]
The Black Tides of Heaven by J.Y. Yang [4/5]
The Red Threads of Fortune by J.Y. Yang [3.5/5]
"The Proprietess" Yinyun Li
"Sanctuary" by Allen Steele
Making History by Stephen Fry [3/5]
American Fire by Monica Hesse [4.5/5]
"The Shot" Pushkin, Alexander
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress Dai Sijie [5/5]
Landed Gently by Alan Hunter [3/5]
Dark Fire by C.J. Sansom [4/5]
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:38 AM   #27018
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished Chains of Command by Marko Kloos.

My library has that second Squirrel Girl title, thanks Solitaire.

Unfortunately, those Jack Daniels books are on the expensive side for me, so I will have to hope for a sale sometime.

Meanwhile, I think I will try Zeus is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure by Michael G. Munz.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:48 AM   #27019
movingthinker
movingthinker began at the beginning.

Device: none
I get a long list for this year and I will try to cut it a bit shorter... :-)
movingthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #27020
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now for "The Clocks" by Agatha Christie.
Which was splendid. A most enjoyable mystery, even if I only got half the solution. Some great descriptions too. I loved the bookshop.

I also started reading A Tale of Time City by Diana Wynne Jones a few days ago. Good stuff so far.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:32 PM   #27021
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Future of Humanity by Michio Kaku and it was excellent. Typically, Michio does a great job explaining very complex issues and factors.

The book focuses mainly on the possibility and necessity of humans migrating to Mars and other planets in the galaxy.

Last edited by MickeyC; 03-24-2018 at 04:35 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #27022
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton. I really like Kinsey Millhone! I just started The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:17 PM   #27023
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Just finished Rule Zero which I got from KU (having signed up for 3 months for 99p). It was a bit all over the place, lots going on, lots of characters, humour reminiscent of Hitchhiker's Guide. It grew on me toward the end, in the middle it all felt a bit much.

Next up is a re-read Bridge of Birds. First read it nearly 5 years ago and loved it, this time I intend to read the rest of the trilogy.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:22 AM   #27024
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I also started reading A Tale of Time City by Diana Wynne Jones a few days ago. Good stuff so far.
And I enjoyed it. But it did leave an enormous number of questions unanswered, more than I like.

Next up: Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #27025
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Even Money", by Dick Francis and Felix Francis. Another enjoyable romp, this time about a bookmaker whose long-lost father turns up unexpectedly, only to be immediately murdered (a situation I'm sure we've all found ourselves in!). Rather implausible, but nonetheless entertaining.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:47 AM   #27026
Dngrsone
Almost legible

So I gave up on Zeus is Dead... it was tedious right from the start. Yes, I know it's supposed to funny, but it wasn't the right kind of funny I guess.

Anyhow, I started reading Stephen King.s anthology Different Seasons, and after the first short story I read Fields of Fire by Marko Kloos. One more in the series, I think. Currently the second short in the King anthology, then I will try something different.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:22 PM   #27027
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next is another library book, The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde.
Loved the world Fforde created and the whimsical comedy that goes with it. The plot was on the light side with not a lot of action. Still, this was typical Fforde where his worlds and citizens are the best part. Rated B [4 stars].

Next, a recent impulse buy, Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence. My first with this author.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:34 PM   #27028
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I succumbed to a "bargain" bundle, and ended up with 7 books for a reasonable price if I like and read all of them. Bad decision, but there it is. The first I'm reading from this bundle is Spots the Space Marine: Defense of the Fiddler, by M.C.A. Hogarth. OK, not great. The writing style definitely put me off at the beginning, but I've gotten past that and am enjoying it. This will be a 3 star read. OK, but not compelling. And not at all challenging or enlightening.
A second book from this "bargain" bundle, Happy Snak, by Nicole Kimblerlin. Sadly, not even as good as Spots. Sigh. The one book I'm sure is superb in this bundle? I already owned -- The Steerswoman, by Rosemary Kirstein. I'm getting a bit gunshy about trying any more of the rest of them, however.

Currently reading Latter End, the 11th Miss Silver from Patricia Highsmith. I know this will be another comfortable cozy, as they all are.

(Also listening to a PD James Dalgliesh book, Original Sin, read by David Weyman. Another sure fire winner.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:38 AM   #27029
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer.
Which was delightful.

Next up: A Caribbean Mystery by Agatha Christie

Last edited by pdurrant; 03-29-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:28 AM   #27030
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I am also reading Desperation by Stephen King. I only read one chapter so far and I am creeped out
I recommend also picking up The Regulators, by King as "Richard Bachman." The two books were released simultaneously, and the original covers were linked to emphasize the connection. (As I recall, the back cover of one was a wooden fence, with a knothole through which part of the other cover was visible.)

Basically, King decided to take one concept and execute it two different ways - one in his usual style, and the other in his pseudonym's. It's a neat exercise.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote