Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Anyone who wants to do "immersion" reading while reading on eink has to make a similar accommodation, which is why I don't see the point of audiobook capability on Kindles. ...
I don't quite the point of "immersion" reading. If you're going to read anyhow, you might as well just read. But I'm not much for audio books, so I'm probably missing something about the feature.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:48 PM   #62
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't quite the point of "immersion" reading. If you're going to read anyhow, you might as well just read. But I'm not much for audio books, so I'm probably missing something about the feature.
I don't listen to audiobooks either. I'm guessing listening and reading at the same time could be useful if you were learning a language. Maybe if you could read the written language pretty well but needed practice understanding the spoken language (or vice versa) having both at the same time would help.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:56 PM   #63
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
I like the text to speech feature on my kindle keyboard, it doesn't drain the battery much and I sometimes use it as an automatic page turner.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #64
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I like the text to speech feature on my kindle keyboard, it doesn't drain the battery much and I sometimes use it as an automatic page turner.
why the new kindle don't have text to speech feature
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #65
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
I don't see why immersion reading must be done using the same device. What's wrong with playing the audiobook on your smartphone while reading along on an e-reader?
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #66
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I don't see why immersion reading must be done using the same device. What's wrong with playing the audiobook on your smartphone while reading along on an e-reader?
I agree. When you start adding mp3 players, text to speech conversions, games, etc., then the ereader starts getting bigger, heavier, and fast battery drains. Which entirely defeats the purpose of why most of us purchased ereaders to begin with.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #67
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I agree. When you start adding mp3 players, text to speech conversions, games, etc., then the ereader starts getting bigger, heavier, and fast battery drains. Which entirely defeats the purpose of why most of us purchased ereaders to begin with.
I really don't buy into that. Sony PRS-T1 (with MP3 player and audio jack), 168 grams (5.92 ounces). Sony PRS-T2 (without MP3 player and audio jack), 164 grams (5.78 ounces). Length, height and depth are the same for both.

Last edited by rcentros; 04-23-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #68
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
why the new kindle don't have text to speech feature
Newer Kindles (7th gen and later) all have built-in screen readers (for English), which will do ‘continuous reading’ (via audio adapter for 7th gen and Bluetooth for 8th and later). It is not the same as text-to-speech, but can serve as such if one is willing to learn some of the touch gestures that are required to operate the screen reader.

I’m usually too lazy to plug in the audio adapter (or pair Bluetooth) to use it with my Kindles, especially since Speak Screen is available on my iOS devices, it is super easy to use, and the Kindle app has decent support for it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #69
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Newer Kindles (7th gen and later) all have built-in screen readers (for English), which will do ‘continuous reading’ (via audio adapter for 7th gen and Bluetooth for 8th and later). It is not the same as text-to-speech, but can serve as such if one is willing to learn some of the touch gestures that are required to operate the screen reader.

I’m usually too lazy to plug in the audio adapter (or pair Bluetooth) to use it with my Kindles, especially since Speak Screen is available on my iOS devices, it is super easy to use, and the Kindle app has decent support for it.
didn't know have this now...

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-OA38NP.../dp/B00ZGVVG92
Old 04-23-2018, 10:39 PM   #70
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I'm guessing the newest Paperwhite (when it comes out) will have Bluetooth built in (like it is in the 8th Generation "cheapo" Kindle).
Old 04-23-2018, 10:47 PM   #71
steven168
Zealot

Quote:
I'm guessing the newest Paperwhite (when it comes out) will have Bluetooth built in (like it is in the 8th Generation "cheapo" Kindle).
i just purchase paperwhite 3 did not know have this so i never order it
Old 04-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #72
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
i just purchase paperwhite 3 did not know have this so i never order it
The Paperwhite 3 doesn't have this feature. I was just guessing that 1) There will be a new Paperwhite (soon) and, 2) When it comes out it will have Bluetooth built in.

But both are guesses. I have no hard evidence that either will happen.

Last edited by rcentros; 04-24-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #73
steven168
Zealot

Quote:
The Paperwhite 3 doesn't have this feature. I just guessing that 1) There will be a new Paperwhite (soon) and, 2) When it comes out it will have Bluetooth built in.

But both are guesses. I have no hard evidence that either will happen.
PW3 good enough for me