Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Article: 7 reasons why e-book readers make lousy gifts

Controversial article by Mike Elgan in Computer World:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...?taxonomyId=75
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to say, that article is a load of rubbish (to be G-Rated).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I don't think most of the reasons are that bad. But they're mostly not really specific to e-readers.

It's just that any type of technology still in the midst of the "early adopter" phase, don't make the best of gifts in the general sense. He's right that prices are still high, the technology doesn't have all the kinks worked out--and as such there's probably better gadgets around the corner (especially for the casual reader who doesn't really need a dedicated device), the e-book format war isn't resolved (so you do risk tying someone to a format that loses).

I'd liken it to Blu Ray players. Great gifts now. Terrible gifts (IMO) a couple years ago when HD-DVD was still around (and it wasn't clear which format would when), prices where high, glitches were rampant etc.

New technology really isn't good gifts unless you have someone that really wants to be an early adopter and hasn't bought one on their own for some reason.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Issue #1 is silly. Don't by a reader because Apple might release a tablet. Yeah right.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
I think it is clear that there is only ONE reason in the author's mind why ebook readers make a bad gift... in HIS mind, they are no longer considered "THE hot new technology" -- what was the phrase he used over and over? "Old and Busted"...

Sorry -- I give more thought to what my gift recipients like and would appreciate rather than just trying to find the "IN-gift" of the year and foisting that off on them. Glad I'm not on his gift-giving list!
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Issue #1 is silly. Don't by a reader because Apple might release a tablet. Yeah right.
Yeah, but to be fair he said such a device would lead to a deluge of competing devices.

And I'd agree with that. For the non-avid reader it's probably best to keep waiting and see what happens in the tablet and netbook areas since such folks don't really need/want a device that's only purpose is reading.

Have avid readers you're trying to buy gifts for? Then sure, and e-reader can be a great gift if they don't already have one.

For the average person on your x-mas gift that you usually get tech gadgets for? Maybe not.

But it's a touchy topic here as you have groups of people who love e-ink devices and dedicated readers who are defensive as they worry about multifunction devices that they view as inferior to e-ink readers taking over the market. Then you have people very interested in tablets as they prefer multi function devices. Then you have people like me who see a place in the market for both types of devices.

And the back and forth over tablets on here has gotten pretty stale as it's just the same people making the same arguments over and over--myself included.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I totally agree that an ereader as a casual gift is probably not the best idea.

But if you know your recipient is strongly considering one, who cares if the price is higher than it "should be", or that it might be replaced in six months when something "better" hits the market (and I don't really put the nook in that category.)

It's YOUR money, and it will be easier for the recipient to move on to a "better" device if they don't have a monetarily emotional attachment to the choice, so you are doing your friend a favor.

But only if they are on the verge of buying one, anyway.

As for the silly notion that "better" devices with be multifaceted, including cell phone use -- who cares? As many folks have stated in this forum, I am getting an eReader device to read books. Period.

If you have a friend on the fence who is considering it for the same reason, there is no reason not to. If you are an uninformed person who hasn't been reading this forum for months and knows what he is looking at, then its a casual gift, and Mikey is probably right.

On the other hand, it may only be that his mother won't let him have one.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
But would anyone actually buy a dedicated reader device for someone who isn't an avid reader who hasn't already expressed an interest in such a device ? Most people ,I think,are pretty particular and ruminate at length over what to buy,especially since these things aren't cheap,by most conceptualizations of what cheap is. If I know someone who is an avid reader but has no interest,I'd give them a gift certificate to a bookstore,not a reader.What libraries are lending out ebook readers ????? Old and busted,hardly- how can you say something is old and busted,and in the same article speak of the evolution of the devices,and how many are out there.Yes,many people who WANT an ereader may already have one,just as many don't get the idea of it until they see others (like most of the MR members) with one,and then suddenly the curiosity increases....

I do plan to get some as gifts,and I have in the past-but I make that decision on a person by person basis.Some people will always prefer a ________ (insert book retailer of choice) card as a gift.

And...if we always waited for the next best greatest thing....well would anyone ever buy anything ?????
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
As for the silly notion that "better" devices with be multifaceted, including cell phone use -- who cares? As many folks have stated in this forum, I am getting an eReader device to read books. Period.
Again, that's just a too each, their own thing. I love my Kindle, but I can pretty much guarantee I'll move away from owning a dedicated reader down the road when there are nice tablet devices that are still comfy to read in bed like an e-reader, but also allow me to easily mark up academic articles and books, check my e-mail, surf the net, watch shows on Hulu etc.

But for avid readers who spend most of their free time reading, a dedicated reader makes more sense.

So again, when it comes to buying a gift, it's just a matter of the person in question. If they're an avid reader and already expressed some interest in an e-reader, then it's a great gift.

If they're a person that just loves tech gadgets, but don't necessarily read all that vigorously, then it's probably a silly purchase but some tablet device in a year or two would be an ideal gift for them. Especially if they need the functions for their work etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narbeauchamp View Post
But would anyone actually buy a dedicated reader device for someone who isn't an avid reader who hasn't already expressed an interest in such a device ?
I think these type of gift advice articles are tailored to those shopping for people that are hard to buy for. The dad that has everything and will never ask for anything etc. i.e. the type of person people are more likely to by one of the year's "hot" items for, just to get the damn gift buying out of the way.

I find these articles/gift guides stupid. I just end up getting such people gift cards and they can buy whatever the hell they want! I don't have the time or interest to put thought into buying gifts. Either tell me what you want, or you get a gift card to somewhere like Amazon or Target where you can buy most anything you want.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 11-29-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
RTownsend
RTownsend began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook; iRex; Kindle2; iPhone
I don't see this as a nagative article, it simply states the same things that we all know... the e-reader market is about to get seriously bigger (so perhaps you should wait a little before buying one). As an eReader addict and early adopter (always on the lookout for a better reader) I say 'bring it on'. I plan to wait until about mid year next year before buying another as I am eager to try some of the new ones we keep hearing about - dual screens, touch and colour at bottom etc. I just plan to let them settle for a few months first.
RTownsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
eBook readers are like any other technical device - by the time you paid for it and walk out of the store they are old technology. That doesn't make them old or tired. And if we wait for the latest model, no one would ever buy one as there are always rumours of a new improved model.

I would buy a reader for someone even if they haven't thought about buying one yet. Here in Oz there are still many people who don't know much about them and are surprised when I show them my Sony.

I would have to consider the person though: are they avid readers? Are they comfortable around computers? Are the books they are reading available for them here in Oz.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:42 PM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
He forgot to mention at the bottom -- this is a paid advertisement by Apple.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:53 PM   #13
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
eBook readers are like any other technical device - by the time you paid for it and walk out of the store they are old technology. That doesn't make them old or tired. And if we wait for the latest model, no one would ever buy one as there are always rumours of a new improved model.

I would buy a reader for someone even if they haven't thought about buying one yet. Here in Oz there are still many people who don't know much about them and are surprised when I show them my Sony.

I would have to consider the person though: are they avid readers? Are they comfortable around computers? Are the books they are reading available for them here in Oz.
Thankfully I feel differently about ereaders than I do about other gadgets. For my phones, TV's and computers I always feel the itch every time a tasty new device with improved speed or features comes out. But for the purpose of reading fiction the Sony 505 really doesn't need any improvements. I will get other, bigger devices in the future for different reading purposes --- newspapers, PDF, magazines, etc but I will continue to use the Sony for regular books.

With other gadgets the old ones rarely get used after I get a new one!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #14
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
Someone who has everything...well I'm known for giving gift cards or just asking what do you really want,any device of this sort is a sort of costly gamble-I'm not likely to buy one unless I know for sure its wanted,otherwise here's an amex gift card LOL. The people I have gotten readers for in the past,were typically on the fence-and probably would've never taken the step,but once they got their first device,only the start.
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:20 AM   #15
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
I really don't see how anyone can compare current e-ink based technology to an Apple tablet or reading on a computer: isn't NOT having a screen and getting the comfort of reading on paper the main reason the current generation of ereaders were released? Isn't it why there doing well? So why is that silly sod still ranting on the comparative advantages of an Apple tablet?

And I love the bit about integrating reading with everything else. I can see the one size fit all future now: a device the size of an Apple notebook, with dual screen LCD/e-ink, and when held with both hand close to the hears, will be a very acceptable phone...
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote