Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
river
river began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Any New Hardware for the UK?

Hey all,

I'm looking to purchase a reader in the next couple of months, and wondered if any knows if any new readers are planned be released in the UK this year...

I'm particularly interested in the Sony line, but would like to hear about any scheduled roll-out's this year..

Many thanks....
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Sony usually releases new devices in October. In the past these have been US-only. It is certainly possible that they will release early, and simultaneously in more countries, this year.

A brand new option is the COOL-ER Reader. It has not been released yet, and early indications are that this won't be a very exciting device. It does support Adobe ePub though, which is important for new releases in the UK. This is the only UK-based EInk device so far as I know.

I like the BeBook line, which will soon include a 5" device (BeBook Mini) and a high-end device (BeBook2). Currently the original BeBook supports MOBI DRM (encryption), but there will soon be firmware that instead supports Adobe ePub DRM and the high end device may be ePub-only. BeBook says they will be in UK retail stores soon.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
river

Thankyou so much for your reply.

So my assesment of the UK dedicated ebook reader market right now (and please let me know what I'm missing/misunderstanding), is...

Sony PRS-505 - available now for £180
PRO's: Great basic device, good screen/battery life, great design/casing
CON's: Can't handle large collections easily, slow refresh, no internet.

COOL-ER Reader - available now for £180
PRO's: Same tech as 505, but faster
CON's: Casing is plastic/may be a bit flimsy, unproven company.

BeBook Mini (5" screen) - Coming Soon
BeBook2 (6" screen, 3g, touch) - Coming Soon

Does that cover everything new available direct from the UK right now? and does anyone have any anticipated release dates/price points for the coming soon's.

Given the choices, what's everyone's general opinion... buy sony/cool-er now or wait for the BeBooks.

Last edited by river; 06-22-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:29 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post

So my assesment of the UK dedicated ebook reader market right now (and please let me know what I'm missing/misunderstanding), is...

Sony PRS-505 is available new between £180-£200.
PRO's: Great basic device, good screen/battery life

COOL-ER Reader - Coming soon
BeBook Mini (5" screen) - Coming Soon
BeBook2 (6" screen, 3g, touch) - Coming Soon

Does that cover everything new available direct from the UK right now? and does anyone have any anticipated release dates/price points for the coming soon's.

The BeBook and CyBook should be available too (at least by way of internet orders).

I've heard a date of August for the Mini (way too late, I want it now!)
The BeBook2: after the summer (which can be from september till the sun blows up)
The Txtr also this fall (it being a European product, I assume it'll also be available in the UK)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:59 AM   #5
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post

Sony PRS-505 - available now for £180
PRO's: Great basic device, good screen/battery life, great design/casing

or wait for the BeBooks.
Argos are now selling them £169.99, another reason to buy .
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 04:23 AM   #6
river

Thankyou Wario.... I've just reserved it, that's a really really good price!

Plus Argos are a good retailer, no messing around with returns or issues, and it's available to pick up today!!

Last edited by river; 06-22-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
River,

I live in the UK and have a CyBook, which I am extremely happy with. The CyBook has the best MobiPocket support of any device on the market, which is very useful when buying from US bookstores.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Gigi
Gigi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi,

I was in Waterstones a few days ago made my mind up to buy the sony 505. The girl there told me they'll get a new model in september, and the 505 might be getting cheaper. I'm in Ireland.
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I guess there's a chance that the 700 might make it over to the UK...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote