Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2008, 03:03 AM   #1
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not a real touch-screen

It doesn't look like it is possible to just write in annotations like on the iRex Iliad. The touch-screen simply does not seem to be able to support the precision required. That's really too bad. Cause typing on an e-ink is a painful process. They should then at least provide an external Bluetooth or USB foldable keyboard to enter text.

Swiping your finger on the screen to turn pages I think is only a gimmick and I think it would quickly become old. Having large next page and previous page buttons on the side is I think more usable.

Another thing I think is too bad is that it has no WiFi, no HSDPA, thus not usable for easilly getting content from the Internet on the device like with the Kindle.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbax View Post
It doesn't look like it is possible to just write in annotations like on the iRex Iliad. The touch-screen simply does not seem to be able to support the precision required. That's really too bad. Cause typing on an e-ink is a painful process. They should then at least provide an external Bluetooth or USB foldable keyboard to enter text.
Yes, we know this. That's because it uses a capacitive touch screen, not an inductive one like the iLiad uses. The advantage of a capacitive screen is that it can be used with the finger, whereas with the iLiad you have to use the special stylus. It also uses no power, whereas, as you know if you've used an iLiad, the touch screen on that is a real "battery hog" - use the annotation feature continually and you halve the battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2008, 04:12 AM   #3
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup, I guess they should invent a Wacom that only uses power when the stylus is in contact with the surface, no need to be "ready" all the time or "activated" all the time waiting for the touch.. Perhaps I don't make sense.

But I would really like a 5" (pocketable) or 6.7" e-reader with a wacom or similar touch-screen for real and full annotations support.. and wireless..
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:28 AM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
The problem is that Wacoms have to generate a small static field to power the stylus. This is how they avoid the need for batteries in the stylus in similar technologies.

I wonder if that pressure sensor technology PVI announced awhile back uses much power while idle?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Yup, I guess they should invent a Wacom that only uses power when the stylus is in contact with the surface, no need to be "ready" all the time or "activated" all the time waiting for the touch.
I don't think that's possible -- I think it needs to use some power to be able to detect the touch. Even if you mounted pressure sensors under the display to turn on the main sensor, you'd have to power those somehow.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 08:35 AM   #6
mitchelln
Enthusiast
mitchelln began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Another thing I think is too bad is that it has no WiFi, no HSDPA, thus not usable for easilly getting content from the Internet on the device like with the Kindle.
Well, it's not that simple with a Kindle is it? In fact it is impossible outside the US At least you can just copy the file straight onto an SD or Memory stick with the Sony. Or copy via USB. No mucking about with emailing and downloading.

The touch screen seems like a good idea to me. You can search using the on screen keyboard now, which you couldn't do with the 505 which is a real pain when you have hundreds of books. Okay, the slow refresh rate makes typing interesting, but fine for searching.

The 700 is an eBook reader with huge battery life, not an Internet tablet. I think it performs admirably in this task. Expensive though.

Last edited by mitchelln; 10-15-2008 at 08:57 AM.
mitchelln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchelln View Post
Well, it's not that simple with a Kindle is it? In fact it is impossible outside the US At least you can just copy the file straight onto an SD or Memory stick with the Sony. Or copy via USB. No mucking about with emailing and downloading.
You do know you can do that with Kindle too, right?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Though perhaps not with Kindle 2 -- aren't they removing the card slot?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Though perhaps not with Kindle 2 -- aren't they removing the card slot?
No one knows anything about Kindle 2, what it will or will not have or look like. Even if they did remove the SD card I'm pretty sure it will retain USB connector. The rumors of the $700 MacBook were supposed to be pretty strong too... and that turned out wrong.

BOb
Old 10-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

So ... I'm guessing you're in the "these photos are fakes" camp then?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Strongly, yes.

BOb
Old 10-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Me too ... I don't give those photos any credence. I'll wait until something is actually announced formally or on the market before I form any opinions.

And .... really (?) the poster below doesn't know that you can copy files right on to the Kindle?? Seriously uninformed.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:52 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well, this is a good place to get informed, after all.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:35 AM   #14
mitchelln
Enthusiast
mitchelln began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1
and informed I am! Great site this

I went for the Sony 505 because there's still no sign of the Kindle (2) hitting the UK.
mitchelln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:15 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Good for you, mitchelln! I'm glad you found something that works for you.