Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
News4Me to begin trial, but not with E Ink (yet)

Remember News4Me? It's a project launched by Deutsche Telekom aimed at creating individual electronic newspapers where a user can subscribe to complete issues or to individual sections from differing newspapers. According to latest news (German article), they are about to launch the first trial involving thirty participants from Bonn and Berlin who will be able to read news on a device that is "already on the market." So I guess that excludes the Polymer Vision Readius, which I thought would be an excellent candidate for this project. Instead, it's rumored that Apple's iPhone will be used during the trial. Apparently, Telekom's researchers are still looking for the optimal device. Which the Kindle isn't, they're claimed to have said, due to its "closed operation system" (uhm, Linux, closed?) and inability to deal with UMTS/HSDPA connectivity.

Shaking my head in disbelief, I checked some more, and indeed stumbled over this very recent and revealing interview (German), where Deutsche Telekom project leader Peter Möckel explains that the ideal device would have to have a display comparable to paper size A5, offer very good readability in day light, with long battery life, and cell phone connectivity. Neither the Amazon Kindle nor the Sony Reader would offer the platform architecture they require. Mr. Möckel had little negative to say about the Readius (fueling my hope yet again), but he'd wish for a bigger screen. In the interview, Möckel referred to the iPhone as being too small, though he also said that in the first trials the iPhone would be used to test the aspects of individualized newspaper delivery. If he is right, News4Me will officially launch in Germany next year.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
it could be really interesting to launch a service like that with 2 subscription models : one, just the articles, and you read on the device of your choice. or 2, articles plus a device (readius ???), and the cost of the device could be subsidised by ads in the subscription... like the cellphone model.

hmm, definitely must keep an eye on the german newspapers !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2008, 04:37 AM   #3
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Mainstream news is useless anyway...
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #4
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
Mainstream news is useless anyway...
that's a very bleak view. I agree you should always find a second source for news there are a lot of good articles and stories written in mainstream news papers.

I really like this idea as i never really read the finance sections in papers.
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
nesagwa
Connoisseur
nesagwa began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook360
Does the title of these threads make anyone else think that News4Me is getting sued or brought up on some charges when they read it the first time?
nesagwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
yup - sure did

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesagwa View Post
Does the title of these threads make anyone else think that News4Me is getting sued or brought up on some charges when they read it the first time?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:05 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesagwa View Post
Heh, right. I apologize.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Whatever device they feel is "optimal," they'd probably be better served working out a multiple-device approach... let anyone get a subscription, and use whatever device they'd like (or at least a good range of choices between large and small readers).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote