Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
AlexM
AlexM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 (Have 2)
Sony PRS-505 battery replacement

I just got off the phone with Sony tech support, and was told that if the battery dies on a PRS-505, and it is out of warranty, the cost to replace it is $251.12 plus tax, shipping, etc. This appears to be a deal breaker, as the Kindle battery is user replaceable.

Has anyone come up with a way of replacing the PRS-505 battery?

Thanks in advance....Bruce
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Batteries tend to die quickly if they are faulty. In normal use, the type of Lithium Ion battery that the Sony uses should still retain perhaps 70% of its initial capacity even after 4 years. I honestly can't recall any reports of battery problems on this site that weren't covered by the warranty.

I really wouldn't worry about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
I just got off the phone with Sony tech support, and was told that if the battery dies on a PRS-505, and it is out of warranty, the cost to replace it is $251.12 plus tax, shipping, etc. This appears to be a deal breaker, as the Kindle battery is user replaceable.

Anybody got any idea
what the actual battery costs ?
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM View Post

$250 to replace the battery? I can get a brand new reader on on Amazon for $255 today. They must be high.

I was able to get a replacement battery for my iPod for $20 or so. But, then again, iPods are ubiquitios so there is some money to be made here.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
Anybody got any idea
what the actual battery costs ?
Guessing from the pictures of PRS-500 insides the battery for 500 (and very likely 505) is just generic Lithium-ion battery used in mobile phones. I find it highly unlikely that Sony uses some special, unique, custom-built battery. They are much more likely using some generic type.
I estimate the price of such generic battery to be somewhere around $5.

When the time comes and your battery dies, you will definitely not be the first person to have to replace it. By the time YOUR battery needs replacement this forum will contain many tips, tricks, recommendations and Do-It-Yourself step-by step instructions posted by resident serious hackers.
On PRS 500 (and very likely also on PRS 505) the battery is not soldered in but connected by a small connector. So all you will need to do is to take the Reader apart using Philips scredriwer size PH0 and perhaps a knife.

But such time is very likely some 5 years away.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I was able to get a replacement battery for my iPod for $20 or so. But, then again, iPods are ubiquitios so there is some money to be made here.
More likely, they just don't want to replace the things.

That would be less annoying if there was an unidentifiable part number on the battery to make ordering a new one from somewhere else and installing it yourself an easier possibility.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sony Direct Accessories & Parts Center has it for $69.78.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well butter my backside and call me a biscuit! Well spotted, igorsk.

Let's see ... that makes ~$70 for parts, and ... ~$180 for labor on a ~15 minute job -- nice work if you can get it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #9
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Sony Direct Accessories & Parts Center has it for $69.78.

that's still daylight robbery
maybe in 5 years
it'll be cheaper
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post

that's still daylight robbery
maybe in 5 years
it'll be cheaper
That doesn't seem desperately unreasonable to me. It's on a par with what video camera batteries cost, and a fraction of what a replacement battery for a laptop costs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:55 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
While searching for a battery for the 505 I did find the following...

Emergency AA Battery Extender for the Sony Reader PRS-505
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World
badspell68 doesn't litterbadspell68 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Will the AA batt charger work on the 500?
badspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sure will. The 500 and the 505 use the same exact AC charger.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #14
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
nice finds. subscribed
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I would guess that you can find a battery having the same size or slightly smaller for much less. Then it's just a matter of removing the case from the 505 (I've done it myself) and replacing the battery.

has anyone measured the size of the 505 battery, and checked the voltage (and capacity)? I'm betting there's a cell phone battery or similar that would fit. Maybe even with higher capacity.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote