Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #661
romanrdgz
romanrdgz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.romanrdgz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.romanrdgz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.romanrdgz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.romanrdgz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.romanrdgz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.romanrdgz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.romanrdgz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.romanrdgz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.romanrdgz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.romanrdgz is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle PW 5.3.5
I am quite used to UNIX, and there is a limitation for kterm at my Kindle as I described.

When just opened kterm, ls command throws the content of /extensions/kterm/. If I go to parent directory with cd command, ls throws nothing. I am not able to see anything else from there, su I must type exit and start again.

I also noticed that there is no sudo command. Is it disabled? Am I the SU all the time when the Kindle is jailbroken?

Any idea? Kterm is not very useful like this, and I am not able to set the python path since I can't search it first.
romanrdgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:14 AM   #662
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanrdgz View Post
I am quite used to UNIX, and there is a limitation for kterm at my Kindle as I described.

When just opened kterm, ls command throws the content of /extensions/kterm/. If I go to parent directory with cd command, ls throws nothing. I am not able to see anything else from there, su I must type exit and start again.

I also noticed that there is no sudo command. Is it disabled? Am I the SU all the time when the Kindle is jailbroken?

Any idea? Kterm is not very useful like this, and I am not able to set the python path since I can't search it first.
There is no sudo because pretty much EVERYTHING on the Kindle runs as root... this has nothing to do with the jailbreak.

If kterm isn't working properly for you, try connecting via SSH.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #663
gypearce
gypearce began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Using Book Covers as Screensavers

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. Every book that I buy for my Kindle has a cover graphic that I can see when I start reading the book. Is there any way to to have the Kindle use this as a screen saver so long as I am reading the book and and change to a different cover-as-screensaver when I start reading a new book? I hope I have asked this question in the right place; please forgive if I have not. Thanks for any answers.
gypearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #664
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@gypearce: Provided your device isn't subscribed to the Special Offers program, then, yeah, that's exactly what this hack can do .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #665
gypearce

NiJuJe, thanks for the reply. No, my Kindle PW is not subscribed to SO program. It is not currently jailbroken and it is running FW 5.3.6. Can you suggest where to start and what order to proceed? Thanks again...
Advert
Old 07-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #666
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
Hello gypearce, first you need to Jailbreak your Paperwhite, then install the screensaver hack. Both have their respective threads in this forum with simple instructions and are easy to find.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #667
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypearce View Post
NiJuJe, thanks for the reply. No, my Kindle PW is not subscribed to SO program. It is not currently jailbroken and it is running FW 5.3.6. Can you suggest where to start and what order to proceed? Thanks again...
Well, you are in "well known territory", so let me give it a shot -

0) Put the device in "Airplane Mode" **NOW**

1) Our Device Jailbreak does not handle the FW 5.3.6, so . . .

In the PW jailbreak thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198446
See the section headed "Firmware 5.3.3 and 5.3.6" -
There you will find a link to an off-site archive of Amazon image file releases, I suggest getting the FW 5.3.4 image.

Follow the usual Amazon "update" procedure to "update" to the earlier firmware release.

2) Still in the PW jailbreak thread:
Now follow the directions to install the Device Jailbreak (and all of the extras that are included in a default install).

3) (Optional) You will probably want other additions to your Kindle before you are done with it, so

Go to the KUAL thread -
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203326

Follow the directions -
(and get prerequisites bundle of installers and the KUAL application itself, plus the "helper" package).

The "prerequisites" installer will install the things needed not only by KUAL, but everything needed for any of our other add-in packages.

4) Return to this thread to install the screensaver hack

5) Now decide if you want to remain in "Airplane Mode" forever (to prevent Amazon from breaking your customized Kindle with a forced update to 5.3.6)

There are KUAL buttons that you can add-in that help manage the forced updates, like the BackdoorLock and the BBB-Firewall (Block Big Brother).
You may want those also.

Last edited by knc1; 07-25-2013 at 08:34 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #668
gypearce

Got R Done! Thank you knc1, Akirainblack and NiLuJe for the advice and directions (and programming)! I now have a PaperWhite that displays the book cover of my current book as a screensaver! Not too difficult, just had to read CAREFULLY! I have KUAL installed but I am not too sure what to do with it yet; more reading I guess. I have downgraded my FV to 5.3.4; is there any real need to upgrade back to 5.3.6? Again, thanks for all the assistance!
Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #669
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Smile 10 PW wallpapers

I'm sharing the Kindle Paperwhite wallpapers I've done, tested and working. All of them are designed from open pictures avaiable on the web, some of them are from here.

The zip file contains the following ready-to-use-in-PW 10 wallpapers.

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard.jpg
Views:	2207
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	108569  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Paperwhite Screensavers.zip (1.42 MB, 216 views)

Last edited by Antoinekamel; 07-25-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:18 PM   #670
J_im
J_im began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
much appreciated,thnx
J_im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #671
NaRuSgAu
NaRuSgAu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch 5.3.7 and ScreenSavers not working

Hi, I'm new to this forum too and want to thank for the useful work around screensaving ...
I'd used it since last year without any problems including an update to the previous Kindle version 5.3.2.1. But with the latest update to 5.3.7 I'm not more able to activate your screensavers hack. Any idea to help with logs?

Kubricking my Kindle Touch and updating to Kindle 5.3.2.1, installing SS v0.11.N brings back the functions. They went after updating to Kindle 5.3.7 and cannot reactivated by reinstalling SS v0.11.N.

Some hints for supporting developers with logs will be useful, anyway I will do my very best to test whatever may help.

Yours
NaRuSgAu

Last edited by NaRuSgAu; 08-05-2013 at 05:53 PM.
NaRuSgAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #672
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@NaRuSgAu: I'm assuming you reinstalled the hack after the 5.3.7 update, and that the update process itself was successful (keeping in mind that the 5.3.7 update behaves like the 5.3.x PW updates: it wipes everything, and you need the JailBreak bridge installed *before* the update in order to avoid losing the jailbreak).

If these assumptions hold, where do you fall on this bullet point list: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=625

And, yeah, logs always help . Type ;dm in the search bar (from the Home screen), and atttach/PM me the log file (it should pop up in the documents folder, named something like all_logs_<blahblah>)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-05-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #673
NaRuSgAu

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@NaRuSgAu: I'm assuming you reinstalled the hack after the 5.3.7 update, and that the update process itself was successful (keeping in mind that the 5.3.7 update behaves like the 5.3.x PW updates: it wipes everything, and you need the JailBreak bridge installed *before* the update in order to avoid losing the jailbreak).
First, kudos to you
Yes, my way was to kubrick my device, update to 5.3.2.1, install your SS v0.11.N, look, if that works and update afterwards to Kindle 5.3.7, reinstall your SS v0.11.N, but it won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If these assumptions hold, where do you fall on this bullet point list: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=625

And, yeah, logs always help . Type ;dm in the search bar (from the Home screen), and atttach/PM me the log file (it should pop up in the documents folder, named something like all_logs_<blahblah>)
I'll repeat all the steps today ;-) once again and send you the logs ...

Thanks a lot,
NaRuSgAu
Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #674
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It looks like you simply forgot the bridge before the 5.3.7 update, but that imply that the SS install process failed, which is pretty easy to catch, the update process fails and shouts at you instead of showing a nice checkmark.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #675
NaRuSgAu

Okay, give me a try, I'm kubricking my Kindle now to version 5.2.1 ...

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch