Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #181
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I did not suggest that the detractors be prevented from posting, just that you have to
question their motivation, given the level of the attack from those who have no skin in
the game. They seem upset that someone else might buy a JBC.

Yes, the posting here would certainly argue against buying a JBC, at this time, (the
posting by those who own the device and found issues unrelated to how the new tech
works) for some uses. There is certainly a good value to the postings that provided details
that can help in a purchase decision, but those details did not come from the detractors
who did not have one.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-17-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #182
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
This time it will be JBC vs M92. And I expect that JBC will loose badly in this comparison from what I learned about M92 on this forum.
lady, you have said you read several posts about JBC before. You then have just saw the photos comparing eink 1 vs eink Pearl vs triton.
The results Are always celar: for b/w document Pearl is the best.

But what you don't realize is that "best" is mater of circumstances and conditions. I, for example, choose JBC and Triton because sometime I have some color document difficult to read with a b/w eReader.
I know tour pointer of vide but if you feel stressfull read on Triton, I don't (luckly). Then, I would say for me the best choice is JBC.... But is "for me".

P.s.: I've an PRS650 Pearl screen an iLiad too, I know what I was talking about

Ps2: Sorry for the syntax mistakes: I wrote this message with my wife's iPad2 and it want correct evey word using ITALIAN dictionary

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-18-2012 at 08:03 AM.
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #183
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
Colors in JBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
I, for example, choose JBC and Triton because sometime I have some color document difficult to read with a b/w eReader.
I know tour pointer of vide but if you feel stressfull read on Triton, I don't (luckly). Then, I would say for me the best choice is JBC.... But is "for me".
Do you remember my first post (# 110) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=170312&page=8
with the attached PDF file which has some reading material in cyan color?
Remember that we both couldn't read the cyan text from this PDF practically AT ALL on our JBCs?
You, my very respected opponent, yourself came to the conclusion that in case of this file, the way to make it readable (you said PERFECTLY readable, and I called it JUST SOMEHOW readable) is to convert it onto B/W first and then read it on your JBC. Your post # 116 states: "better I will convert into B/W document and read it on my JBC well".
So I even wouldn't discuss any further HOW JBC displays the colors. In my opinion, it is better not to display colors AT ALL (just keep everything in B/W) than displaying the colors the way JBC does it.
And again, the way my JBC (and it looks like yours, too) displays the colors with NORMAL (average) light condition is MUCH different from the picture of JBC from Ectaco's website http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color/

P.S. Lets just simply assume for now that COLOR eInk technology IN PRACTICE is still not available at the moment.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-17-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #184
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I just saw the Amazon Kindle and Nook Touch in the store, and the background is not very white neither! In fact, the background may be just as grey as the standard Jetbook/lite's!

So all this talk of grey JBC, but if you ask me, none of the e-ink screens look white!

I've done a sample from memory, on how e-ink compares to Jetbook. It's not 100% accurate, but from memory it looks pretty much like this:

That's how I saw it standard light;the brighter the outside light, the whiter the background white of the Jetbook becomes;the brighter the contrast becomes of the Jetbook.
On the Kindle, you're pretty close to a white background, the effect is less there.
In fact, you don't want to read the kindle under sunlight, as it'll burn your eyes.

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-17-2012 at 03:11 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #185
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The detractors aren't trying to set
the record straight. It is as if the device's existence is an affront, and that they just
have to attack any positive remark about it. Why?

It's as if they have to attack anything that might just possibly prove better than what
they have, or sell. They sure aren't talking from their own personal experience with the
This part is apparently directed at me , again, since I am the ONLY retailer(past tense now) posting about the device.

And I will tell you again that I find this OFFENSIVE. I have a very good track record of NOT being biased on this forum. I am talking from my personal experience with this device which includes from its time as a prototype in Hanvon's booth.

I am talking from my personal experience with more than a dozen different manufacturers devices over the years and from hands on personal experience with large screen devices from at least 6 - Irex, Samsung, Onyx, Hanvon, PocketBook, Ectaco, Hanlin, Plastic logic- actually thats 8 and I feel like Im missing a couple. Oh Right Amazon so there's at least 9.

I am most certainly trying to set the record straight. There is only one thing so far that this device does better than other devices and that is power usage. You never have to turn the thing off as it just "sleeps" without you knowing and lasts a week at least without turning it off.

Color is not one of the things it does better because it makes so little use of it currently. I cannot choose the color of the highlight, I can not choose the color of the pen stroke for example.

quit trying to cast people as trolls because they are of a different opinion than you.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #186
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
In fact, you don't want to read the kindle under sunlight, as it'll burn your eyes.
I am enjoying my Kindle DX under sunlight much more than JBC.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #187
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I am most certainly trying to set the record straight. There is only one thing so far that this device does better than other devices and that is power usage. You never have to turn the thing off as it just "sleeps" without you knowing and lasts a week at least without turning it off.
I also enjoy the book case JBC came with. It feels so good even to touch it. And it seems to protect JBC pretty well.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #188
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

True- the case is one of the better ones I have seen. the kickstand for portrait and grooves for landscape work well.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #189
Valentinka
Zealot

Talking about battery... My JBC just now got frozen while one of the book pages was displayed on it for couple days. This is the page which picture I took (my last posted here picture - with the text about gifted children) 2 days ago while comparing it with DX. Didn't touch JBC since then. Connected JBC to charge it now. The message displayed: "Device completely discharged and was shut down. Connect the power supply before next start". It is exactly 10 days since I received JBC and fully charged it overnight according JBC's Quick start guide. I didn't use my JBC A LOT during these 10 days. So I am not sure about JBC's battery life now. We have been reading on our Kindle DX much more during last 10 days since we enjoy DX much better. The battery on DX is still fine. So I am not sure about such a great JBC's battery life right now.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-17-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #190
Dulin's Books
Wizard

10 days is very good for no real sleep mode. the DX has a very deep sleep "suspend to ram" type sleep mode. the way JBC sleeps is more like "dozing" than sleeping but it does it very well.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #191
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
True- the case is one of the better ones I have seen. the kickstand for portrait and grooves for landscape work well.
Yes, I like the case too (it comes for free with jetBook Color).
I also like how my jetBook Color works after firmware upgrade. I downloaded the book with name "How to draw manga" and started to use stylus to draw it above the pictures - it works perfect! Kindle DX has no stylus for this practice

I really like SD card slot and option to keep all my books on SD card - Kindle DX has no SD card slot. I like jetBook Color because it has support for many different book formats.

I don't have any problem with colors and waiting April 1st upgrate to use Wi-Fi and browser. If somebody offer me to change my jetBook color to 2 Kindle DX units I will never do that. I think after 2-3 firmware upgrades jetBook Color will be the best 9.7" E ink ebook reader available on the market. I don't use TTS, dictionary and many other educational features but I think it is very helpful for students.

P.S. I used my jetBook Color for several weeks already and it was never freezed.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #192
Dulin's Books
Wizard

The Kindle DX is an incredibly inferior device. the only thing going for it is size. I too would not trade a JBC for one or two or more. well maybe more because then i could ebay them and then buy something else.

i like that idea of using the pen input for practicing in a "how to draw" book. thats a very interesting idea
Old 03-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #193
Valentinka
Zealot

Kindle DX - is for sure the device with very limited features. But its eInk screen is much more comfortable for my eyes than JBC's one and it is much faster as well. DX doesn't have many features in its specifications. But everything it has in its advertised product specifications is working PERFECTLY starting with the picture of the DX (http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wire...2026898&sr=8-1 ) where it looks exactly like in real life and ending with 3G radio which also works perfect and is a very convenient feature for our family. And $199.99 (the price I paid for my DX) is a fair price for it.
But I also wouldn't trade JBC for second DX because I want eInk 9.7" with more features than DX can offer - mainly more book formats, more languages, dictionaries and SD card can be useful, too with about the same quality of eInk screen as DX offers. Also this trade wouldn't be fair in $$ meaning $199.99 (DX) vs $499.99 (JBC).
I mentioned in my first post that the ideal Reader for me would be something like Sony T1 with addition of some community developped tools (which I found on this forum) , but with 9.7" eInk screen instead of 6". Unfortunately Sony doesn't make 9.7" eReader. So since I have to choose from what is currently available on the market, then I would trade JBC for Onyx M92.
So if somebody wants to trade his Onyx M92 for JBC I will be more than happy to do this. But I doubt if any M92's owner will be willing to do this.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-17-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #194
LeftyRight
LeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enoughLeftyRight will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
I collected other buyer's reports, put them together, compared it with my previous knowledge, and draw a provisional conclusion which is enough to decide that it's better to wait and see what will come from the next upgrades, instead of buying now.
This is exactly what I have done too.

I intend to wait and see if the 2 firmware updates make the JBC current operational status match it's original specifications.

Currently, and I think all would agree, the JBC will NOT do all that the original specifications said it would.

We all have different requirements for wanting a JBC - some want the color for comics/manga, some want a big screen to read technical documents, some want it for school so note taking is important, and some like myself want to use the JBC to learn another language, as well as, using it for reading large pdf files.

I try to be positive about any new device and to be honest if the JBC can meet it's original specifications there will be a lot of happy people who will own one.

However, currently it is nowhere near it's original specifications which is a real shame as it has so much potential.

Fingers crossed the firmware updates will make the device match the marketing spiel.

So, from my own point of view, it's just a waiting game and I am a patient person (most accountants are ).

cheers

LeftyRight

PS I value everyone's opinions on the topic (JBC) so hats off to all who have contributed.

As far as I am concerned there are no trolls here only people with differing opinions which everybody should respect.
LeftyRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:17 AM   #195
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
I am afraid that I might be able to prove you the OPPOSITE statement soon. I am still in need for eInk 9.7" eReader since I am not able to use JBC (with its dark, grey screen and annoying ghosting) for comfortable reading. I am thinking about getting M92 but I am looking for M92's black version at this point. It should be available to buy in about 2 weeks from now. If I will finally decide to get black M92 and will be able to place and receive my order with M92 before Ectaco will provide me with RMA# (which is very possible because Ectaco obviously doesn't want my JBC back) I promise to post here more pictures. This time it will be JBC vs M92. And I expect that JBC will loose badly in this comparison from what I learned about M92 on this forum.
Nice turn of events.
Your posts read like something produced by the competition of Ectaco.
Now at least the picture gets clearer.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote