Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Eccles
Eccles began at the beginning.

Device: none
PDB to PDF problem with margins

I've run into a problem with the "margins" option in Caliber.

I'm converting some PDB files to PDF. Everything works fine with the exception of the "margins" option. Left and right margins work as requested, but top and bottom margins are not responding. I end up getting 0 margin at the top and bottom of each page. I've even tried the maximum value which is 200px, but still no luck.

I've revised all other options, but can't find anything that might be causing this silly problem.

Has anyone encountered this issue?
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
PDF output doesn't support setting top and bottom margins, it's a limitation of the pdf rendering library calibre uses.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
Eccles

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Is there any workaround I could use? e.g. converting from PDB to another (intermediate) format, and then to PDF?

I have several unrestricted PDB files (no DRM). My final goal is to convert from PDB to DOCX, but as this last format is not available in Calibre, I've been doing PDB >Calibre convert to> PDF >copy-paste to> DOCX.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Why not convert to something like RTF which can be directly loaded and would retain formatting. Converting to HTML would also work.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Eccles

Thanks for the advice. I've just followed your suggestion and the resulting document was very good. It was not quite 100%, but the work entailed was mild. This is the solution for me.

Thanks a lot.
Advert