Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #136
ereaderbug
ereaderbug began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Touch
Help! Sideloaded books are not visible anymore

After the firmware update, my sideloaded books do not appear in the Library anymore. I sideloaded t hem with Calibre 08.3.0 and they are epub books. I could see them using windows explorer and with ADE.

So, I did a factory reset, which took me back to 1.9.9 and did the update again. sTill can't see the new sidedloaded books in the KT library.

Is it true that I cannot sideload books without registering Kobo Touch? Could the Kobo developers please confirm this? If this is true, I do intend to return it. I am happy with Nook STR.
Thanks as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderbug View Post
This is my first day with the Kobo Touch and it had a horrible bug, where the page number footer would "swallow" the last line of the screen. Almost returned the device because of this bug. But,

I just updated the firmware to 16, and I noticed that the horrible bug disappeared. For the record, I do not like the new home screen.

I am glad I joined this group. Happy holidays to everyone.
ereaderbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #137
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
After the firmware update, my sideloaded books do not appear in the Library anymore. I sideloaded t hem with Calibre 08.3.0 and they are epub books. I could see them using windows explorer and with ADE.

So, I did a factory reset, which took me back to 1.9.9 and did the update again. sTill can't see the new sidedloaded books in the KT library.

Is it true that I cannot sideload books without registering Kobo Touch? Could the Kobo developers please confirm this? If this is true, I do intend to return it. I am happy with Nook STR.
Thanks as always.
There are ways to "register" the Kobo Touch without actually registering it through the desktop app. Look up the Linux desktop app thread in this forum.
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #138
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Thanks as always.
If you're that adamant why not just make up a fake eMail address, register with that and never use that eMail address for anything else?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:23 PM   #139
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
I will take a look soon and a fix will be in next weeks calibre. Between Christmas and everything else I really have not gotten around to testing calibre with this release.

Calibre support is not kobo's issue.

Tim
I have pushed a fix to the main Calibre branch and it will likely be in next Friday's release. The change hids both Previews and Recommendations by default and includes options under the Plugin preferences to show one or both.

My thought is that there is no real reason to see either when you are connected to Calibre. I probably will not fix the "File Missing" that shows up for some recommendations when Recommendations are being shown. The file is actually missing (but probably should not be there for recommendations). Simply leave the default options and you never need to see them.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #140
HubbaDubbaDubba
HubbaDubbaDubba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
I haven't seen this before, we will look into this one.
Such problem is easily replicated. Select a word by long-pressing it but instead of immediately clicking on the dictionary menu, wait 5 seconds and then click. The menu won't render properly.

I've also noticed another error: When selecting to post something on Facebook with Airport Mode on, a dialog will appear to let you turn it off. If such dialog is closed by selecting "cancel", the text which is not beneath this dialog becomes less clear then the text which was beneath the dialog. I guess this is probably due to the fact that the text which is not beneath the dialog gets "shaded" when the dialog appears, but no full screen refresh is triggered after the dialog is cleared.

EDIT: Just rolled back my Kobo Touch to 1.9.14 and the problem when opening the dictionary menu is not present on 1.9.14 (definitely introduced in 1.9.16). The problem regarding the Airplane mode dialog and the lack of full screen refresh after it is present on 1.9.14 with the exact same behaviour.

Last edited by HubbaDubbaDubba; 12-26-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Added info
HubbaDubbaDubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #141
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbaDubbaDubba
Such problem is easily replicated. Select a word by long-pressing it but instead of immediately clicking on the dictionary menu, wait 5 seconds and then click. The menu won't render properly.
You're absolutely correct. Repeatable every time. Good catch.

Also notice when you select a word by long-pressing it, the text on that page changes once the selection is enabled and gets weak because no refresh is done at that time. Once in a while it works correcly and does refresh the text and it looks fine.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #142
ajatt
ajatt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
After going through this thread and resetting my device to factory defaults updating to 1.9.14 and 1.9.16 several times trying to resolve the issue I think I have found a solution updating the device to 1.9.16 through the desktop software produces the bug which you need to double tap to enter menus and so forth I have found that after doing a factory reset connect the device to set it up but before ejecting delete all the update software that has just been loaded, after that boot up your device and try to sync it and it will require a wi-fi connection and will download the 1.9.16 update apply the update after this go ahead and add your epubs and other books the double tap issues seems to be gone this worked for me though I am not sure if it will work for everyone cheer!
ajatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #143
DJMOON
DJMOON began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
FWIW, if you go into the recommendations scrubber on the kobobooks.com website, you can vote recommendations up or down (already own, not interested). You can actually remove all of the books in recommended that way, though I am sure they will repopulate, hopefully taking into account what you said as you did your "voting". I'm guessing it will take awhile to learn our actual preferences.
I've looked for this "scrubber" on the website with no luck. How do you access it?
DJMOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #144
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
I've looked for this "scrubber" on the website with no luck. How do you access it?
When you log into the Kobo web site, the Recommended for You list is across the top of the page.

Mouse over any one of those books and it asks if you want to Get a Preview, Already Read it, or Not Interested.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:44 PM   #145
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
I'm always in Airplane Mode. And always getting "Recommended for You" each time I come back to the Home page. So I created a "Shortlist," set it to Shortlist. Then I read. I come back, and I still get "Recommended for You." After multiple turn-offs and turn-ons, still I get "Recommended for You." Which isn't so horrible, I s'pose...unless someone else where to see that homepage and see exactly what's being (ahem...blush...) recommended.
Sounds like you got the original 1.9.16. They updated the link a couple of hours (or less) after it first went live with a different version that mostly fixes that issue (it will only go back to recommended after a sync now and I think they will likely fix this down the road). Downgrade to 1.9.14 (see other posts in this thread for directions) and then install 1.9.16 again.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:48 PM   #146
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
When you log into the Kobo web site, the Recommended for You list is across the top of the page.

Mouse over any one of those books and it asks if you want to Get a Preview, Already Read it, or Not Interested.
I actually am not seeing the Recommended section now!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:34 AM   #147
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Is someone have a link to download the firmware 1.9.16 directly ?

PS: I downgrade to 1.9.14, but the bug of blur text when select word, wait 5sec, and open dictionary/note menu is always the same !
I try a factory reset...

Factory reset done... no update after... i'm now in 1.9.12... and the bug is always here.
:-/

Last edited by azbdsf; 12-27-2011 at 03:47 AM.
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:44 AM   #148
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbaDubbaDubba View Post
Only for those that experience the problem in the first place then, as I cannot replicate it even if I wait 5 or even 10s before clicking on the dictionary icon next to the facebook one (tried from both a kepub and an epub file)...

You do mean that if you do not wait the 5s then the menu can pop up OK, don't you?

1nd, do you have the double tap issue (as described by theREALJoe earlier) as well?

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #149
azbdsf
Aka Redfish
azbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterazbdsf can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
You do mean that if you do not wait the 5s then the menu can pop up OK, don't you?
If no wait... no problem.
If wait (like use time to select more word with touch screen), it's occure.
Same issue with firmware 1.9.12/14/16... and after reset.
azbdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #150
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Books added to the shortlist do not initially show up if you use a book's annotation menu to add them and click Home.

Clear at least one book from your shortlist or several books to make sure there are empty slots.
Select/open a book from your carousel that is not in the shortlist
Open the Reading Menu of the book
Click on the Tools icon and Add to Shortlist
Click on the "<- Home" text in the Reading Menu to go Home - don't press the physical Home button
=> The book is not in the shortlist
Now click on the physical Home button
=> The book is in the shortlist

Selecting "Remove from shortlist" in the Tools menu shows a similar issue.

Opening a book from within the Library shows a similar issue when you select "<- Library" from within the Reading menu after adding the book to the shortlist - the heart icon is not filled in at first.

Putting the Kobo to sleep doesn't seem to affect it, but full power off/on makes the book appear in the shortlist as if the physical Home key was pressed.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote