Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
scarab1
scarab1 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm PDAs, ectaco jetBook, Nook Color
Nook Color - Process to move from CM7.0.3 on SD to CM7.1 in emmc?

Hello,

I've been running CM7.0.3 from SD for about five months now on my Nook Color.

I'd like to move to CM7.1 on emmc, but want to maintain my current loaded apps and settings.

So I'm thinking I'll move from CM7.0.3 on SD to CM7.0.3 in emmc, then upgrade emmc to CM7.1.

But how do I move all current stuff (apps, settings) from the SD install to the emmc install?

Will all that be preserved when I then upgrade emmc to CM7.1?

Anyone been down this road already and have some tips to offer?

Thanks,

Steve
scarab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I believe you should be able to do so:

* install Titanium Backup on your CM7 running on the SD card
* backup all your apps and data

Step 2 above will create a folder on your SD card (whatever partition you are using as "SD" storage space on the SD card), and backup your apps and data there. Make sure you have that folder and that it contains your apps and data - you can confirm by browsing to the SD card from the NC, or by popping it in your PC and checking the correct partition. Keep that SD card aside.

Now, you can install CM7 on your NC, using a different SD card. I would go straight to 7.1, no reason to install 7.03 first.

After you have CM7 running from the EMMC, install Titanium backup from the market. Now turn your NC off, remove the SD card (should be a different one from the one used to backup your apps), and copy the Titanium Backup folder from the 1st SD card to the 2nd SD card using your PC.

Insert the SD card on your NC (the one where you copied the Titanium Backup folder), boot, and go to Titanium Backup, you should see your apps ready to restore.

I haven't tried this, so there may be a few tweaks you may need to do in the process, but the guidelines should get you there.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Taosaur here has a great step-by-step link in his sig. Highly recommend it.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #4
scarab1
scarab1 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm PDAs, ectaco jetBook, Nook Color
Move from CM7 7.0.3 to 7.1 - Update

Just wanted to give everyone an update on this...

I ended up changing my plans slightly. I decided just to go to 7.1 on an mSD card and leave emmc alone. Yes, I wimped out...

Anyway, if you're interested, here's what I ended up doing:

Installed CM7 7.1 on second mSD for booting:
- generic-sdcard-v1.3.img.gz
- Cyanogen Mod update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip (latest stable release)
- gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Followed these directions:
- http://quinxy.com/2011/04/01/complet...he-nook-color/
- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957
- http://quinxy.com/guides/how-to-keep...ll-up-to-date/

Quinxy's directions suggest using Titanium to backup system settings to preserve your home screen settings, among other things, and I can confirm that worked.

However, less three days later I went back to my 7.0.3 mSD card boot as I was fed up with the freezes, sleeps of death, and DSP Manager FCs I was getting with 7.1. Yes, 7.1 was faster (overclock to 1200 vs. 925 on 7.0.1), but that's like having a Ferrari that won't start sitting in your garage - what's the point?

7.0.3 is slower, but rock-solid. It's pretty quick if I turn off all the window and screen animations.

I've heard that the SODs might be fixed in a later nightly, but I haven't experimented yet. No word on the DSP Manager FCs being fixed.
scarab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
If you have an extra SD card, or a little extra time (and don't care about wiping out your B&N installation) - then I would recommend trying the CM7.1 with a fresh install on either a different SD Card or on your EMMC (this is the best).

Run it for a day. You SHOULD not be experiencing any FC's with 7.1. If you are, then my guess is that your attempt to maintain/restore your old apps is messing it up. I get less SOD's with 7.1, and no FC's.

I recommend running it on your EMMC. If you don't like it, it is quite painless to re-install B&N 1.3; and then B&N will download your books etc. quite easily. There really isn't a lot of setup that you will lose by reinstalling B&N on your EMMC if you didn't like CM7.1 on it.

If you had a bad experience with 7.1, I would be 99% sure that it was a bad installation - either from not wiping all the caches (including Dalvik), or problems arising from restoring.

Restoring system settings when making a big jump in releases on CM7 is a no-no.

Restoring apps/data is ok, but I prefer to let google just download my apps, and then setup my homescreens again manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab1 View Post
Just wanted to give everyone an update on this...

I ended up changing my plans slightly. I decided just to go to 7.1 on an mSD card and leave emmc alone. Yes, I wimped out...

Anyway, if you're interested, here's what I ended up doing:

Installed CM7 7.1 on second mSD for booting:
- generic-sdcard-v1.3.img.gz
- Cyanogen Mod update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip (latest stable release)
- gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Followed these directions:
- http://quinxy.com/2011/04/01/complet...he-nook-color/
- http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957
- http://quinxy.com/guides/how-to-keep...ll-up-to-date/

Quinxy's directions suggest using Titanium to backup system settings to preserve your home screen settings, among other things, and I can confirm that worked.

However, less three days later I went back to my 7.0.3 mSD card boot as I was fed up with the freezes, sleeps of death, and DSP Manager FCs I was getting with 7.1. Yes, 7.1 was faster (overclock to 1200 vs. 925 on 7.0.1), but that's like having a Ferrari that won't start sitting in your garage - what's the point?

7.0.3 is slower, but rock-solid. It's pretty quick if I turn off all the window and screen animations.

I've heard that the SODs might be fixed in a later nightly, but I haven't experimented yet. No word on the DSP Manager FCs being fixed.

Last edited by jasoraso; 11-02-2011 at 01:36 PM.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert