Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
3dsign
3dsign began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Stuck on "f/w update did not complete.." after failed installation of PRS+

Please help me. I received the PRS 600 just today and while going through this forum was tempted to try the PRS+.

1)I went to the project site and according to the install guide, extracted the PRSP_600_base_flasher_1.0_by_amutin.zip to the root of the internal memory.

2)Then I restarted the reader as per the instructions. Nothing seemed to happen and I was greeted with the same default screen.

3)Then I connected the reader to the pc and after the storage was detected, I clicked runme.bat from the reader internal memory. A command prompt opened and a window came up saying updater.exe has stopped functioning. I clicked cancel. I removed the cable and reconnected.

4) Since then it is saying "Firmware update did not complete successfully. Please try again."

5) Worst part is, I cannot seem to turn it off to reboot or try hard reset. It just sits with the "Reader" logo on the screen and the failed update message below it.

Please help me out. I havent even read a single ebook on it and i just feel like crying right now. ;'(

Is the device bricked forever? Is there something I can do to reinstate it? I request the devs of the firmware to please help me out. I'm sure you guys must've come across an issue like this.

Awaiting your response.

Please save my reader. I'll be grateful to you for life. :'(

Thanks,
Karen
3dsign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Karen

Installation of PRS+ on a 600 is a two (2) step process!
First you need to "unlock" the reader by installing a base-image.

Instructions taken from the project site.
Spoiler:

1. "Unlock" your reader using "PRSP 600 base flasher by amutin" (use the latest version) (check "installing base image" below) SKIP THIS STEP IF YOU ALREADY HAVE BASE FLASH. You need to do this step only once (it won't do harm if you do it twice, but it simply makes no sense)

Installing base image (needed by 600)

1. Vista/Win7 users: disable UAC (read here how to http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-command-line/ )
2. Connect your PRS 600 to your PC
3. run runme.bat
4. Sony's standard flasher UI will show up (that's why you need to disable UAC, this installer modifies Sony's, to install custom image)
5. Follow instructions on the screen.
6. Don't forget to restore UAC

The content of "PRS-600_base_flasher_1.0_by_amutin.zip" should be in a folder of your PC, not the reader!
Try running runme.bat form the folder on PC with the device connected to the USB- Port.
Hopefully your PRS-600 is still in firmware-update mode and will accept the new firmware.

Good luck!!

Then procced to step 2 of the instruction:
Spoiler:
# Unzip PRSP_600...Installer to the root of the internal memory of the reader.
# Restart the reader (there is no installer UI), installer will do all necessary steps during startap (invisible to the user, takes a couple of seconds).
# Delete PRSPInstaller folder from internal memory

PS: plugging in a wall-charger to keep it alive may also be a good idea.

PPS: you can also try the sony-updater PRS-600_Updater_1.0.01.08040.exe to recover your reader

Last edited by Mark Nord; 05-30-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
silverbright
silverbright began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks Mark This sure helped me! The install guide on the Wiki should be amended to emphasize the order of the steps just the way you've directed. It's a bit confusing the way it's laid out there as is.
silverbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
mstroz
mstroz began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Same happened to me, I have 'updating firmware now' message but my prs-600 is no longer recognized by any of my PC's (tried on MAC, too) so I cannot continue or reflash with Sony's firmware. It looks like I killed it.

Any help, please?

Many thanks.
mstroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
mstroz
mstroz began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
ufff...

I managed to un-brick my prs-600. I am not sure but I believe that in my case the problem was with switching between Mac an PC constantly while trying to un-brick it.

Then I decided to stick with my PC, I tried different USB cables, and finally the PC managed to recognise the reader after the '10x reset' method - in fact, you have to press the reset button more that 10 times.

In my case the reader wasn't connected to the PC while reseting. Only when I got the 'Opening Book' screen I immediately connected it to the PC.

I had to use the original flasher from Sony's website and then used the 'russification' one, followed the instructions how to do it from this thread and all went OK.

On the positive side - the reader is much faster now? before I flashed it it was considerably slower.

I hope this helps someone.
mstroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
veetveetmano
veetveetmano began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
First of all is want to say to all you guys, As it turns out i really had fucked up my sony prs 600 and the way i did was while i was updating the firmware I removed the USB cable from the reader as my antivirus was going to isolate the updater,
and then the trouble began because connection again to the computer was of no use as it was stuck as "firmware update did not complete successfully please try again" even removing the battery was not a help the screen remained the same, after lot of searching on the net I came to this particular post where "mstroz"(one of this forums member) said that he had pushed the reset button more then 10+ time while it was not connected to computer, and then after when i tried to turn it on it came to boot screen and got stuck but now i had hope because it was going some where then i connected to PC downloaded a new updater from sony's website and away it went in just 20 seconds.. it was brand new and then i tried the Russian hack for the clock and that also went great (by the way it was piece of cake) so now i have clock on the right hand bottom of the screen.... many many thanks to all guys out there hope this will help some one

Last edited by veetveetmano; 01-12-2012 at 11:18 AM.
veetveetmano is offline   Reply With Quote