Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
Load Times for LRF vs Epub

Is it just my imagination or do LRF formatted books take MUCH longer to load in the ereader (and also in fact, in Calibre...where LRF files take forever to "parse"), than EPubs?

If that is, indeed, the case, then what would be the advantage to LRF vs converting all LRF files to Epub? In general, is there any advantage to LRF over Epub?
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
When you first load an LRF file on to your reader (or change the font size), the reader has to "paginate" the document. This process does take awhile, but should only have to be done once for each font size. Once the LRF is "paginated" it should open very quickly.

When I was using my Sony 505, I would convert all my documents to LRF--I really prefer the look of fully justified text. The older Sony readers won't display ePubs fully justified.

Now that I have my 650, I don't convert to LRF any more, as the 650 will display ePubs fully justified.

I personally do like the way LRF numbers pages better, though. I like having one screen=one page. It's not that big of an issue for me though, so I just stick with ePubs.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocks View Post
If that is, indeed, the case, then what would be the advantage to LRF vs converting all LRF files to Epub? In general, is there any advantage to LRF over Epub?
If you're a Calibre user there is one very good reason why you might move to EPUB, namely that LRF format is considered 'yesterday's news' and Calibre's creator has stated that he has no interest in any further development/fixing of LRF specifics. That wouldn't stop one of the other Calibre developers doing LRF work if they felt like it, but don't hold your breath.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:22 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
EPUB doesn't need pagination, so it's near instant.

Advantage of LRF is, basically, having header/footer.
Also, on older readers (pre 900) "justify" doesn't work in EPUBs.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I convert all epubs into lrf as the lrf font sizes are closer to one another as the epub font sizes and I thus work around the big size jump from XS-S-M font sizes. The lrf format loads as fast as everything else, but take a little more file space than the epub. Still with 390 books on my PRS-350 there is 1.2 GB left.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use Reader Library to put your LRF onto your Reader. That way they will be paginated and load right away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote