Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #14521
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm finding it very interesting.
Are you finding it confusing?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #14522
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Just Finished:

- A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane - not bad. I've only ever read Lehane’s Shutter Island and Mystic River but my library has all the Kenzie/Gennaro mysteries so I think I'll go through the rest of them.

Currently Reading:

- The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver by Sam Siciliano (71%)
- The Passage by Justin Cronin (second time) (46%)
- Joseph Anton by Salman Rushdie (23%)
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #14523
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Hang in there for the end of "Sloosha's Crossing" and the second halves of the other five stories. It all comes together, I promise.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #14524
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Hang in there for the end of "Sloosha's Crossing" and the second halves of the other five stories. It all comes together, I promise.
I will. Like WT Sharpe, I'm finding the novel very interesting but somewhat confusing. But I will be reading it till the end.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #14525
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I've seen the preview for the Cloud Atlas movie, and from that I think I have a suspicion of what to expect.

Spoiler:
I've noticed that main characters are being followed, then killed off without a satisfying solution to their story line, and other characters are left simply hanging and seemingly abandoned. I suspect all of these seemingly random episodes will be tied together and explained when the story moves into the future. Right now I'm enjoying the ride. It feels much like the first time I saw The Matrix and about a half-hour into the movie found myself thinking that nothing made sense. Of course, it all did, and I must have watched that opening sequence a dozen times since hoping to recover that sense of wow that tying all those disparate elements together gave me. That's the kind of wrap-up I'm anticipating with Cloud Atlas.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #14526
PainMike
the Gusto Gargoyle
PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PainMike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy A5
Philip Jose Farmer's 'Dayworld'.
I read long ago his 'Riverworld' series and found it fascinating; whereas 'Dayworld' requires a little more from this reader to keep the story intact in mind
PainMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #14527
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
With the electricity out I was able to read a bit more than normal.

Read A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. Very well done although the weak ending was not as I expected. Interesting how Ness developed each character's flaws and their response to each others actions. Good word skill. Gave it a B [4 stars].

Also, read Sleight Malice by Vicki Tyley. This one was only so-so. The plot, I felt, was not plausible. A lot of holes. C- [2 stars]
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #14528
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Changed my mind when the first chapter of Dresden File #14, Cold Days was made available today! I'm gonna' re-read the next three Dresden Files books (#11, #12 & #13) right away and put off James Potter And The Vault Of Destinies till afterward.

Just finished re-reads of Turn Coat, Changes and the novella, Aftermath. Aftermath is a bridge between Changes and Ghost Story. All of these were quite exciting and I've thoroughly enjoyed re-reading them. I've just started my re-read of Ghost Story.

Also I've read the fist two chapters of Cold Days. Two more chapters will be made available one-at-a-time on the next two Tuesdays. And then the entire novel will be released on Tuesday the 27th. Hooray!!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #14529
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
My current read is Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress. Its a pretty good book so far. It is a novel about how genetic engineering in the future creates a caste of people who don't need sleep. It is 99 cents on Kindle. I got it awhile back but never started reading it. I decided to try it when the historical fiction I got from the library didn't keep my attention.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #14530
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm chugging along with the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, having finished all of the rereads and starting the "new to me" novels in the set. I've just finished the short story "Father Mine" (Black Dagger Brotherhood 6.5).

I'm still trying to decide if I want to start book 7 tonight, or wait until tomorrow night.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #14531
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm chugging along with the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, having finished all of the rereads and starting the "new to me" novels in the set. I've just finished the short story "Father Mine" (Black Dagger Brotherhood 6.5).

I'm still trying to decide if I want to start book 7 tonight, or wait until tomorrow night.
Good to hear that you have really broken your Fast .

I'm finishing up In Cold Blood by Truman Capote, and am in a quandry what to move on to next. The choice is between:

Wolf Hall: Bring Up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel
The Twelve - Justin Cronin
Monster Hunter Legion - Larry Correia
Rabbit, Run - John Updike

Bit of an eclectic mix, I know. Will have to see what kind of mood I'm in when I finish the Capote.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:36 AM   #14532
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some of my recent reads:

"Last Seen Wearing" by Colin Dexter.

2nd book in the "Inspector Morse" series. This is arguably one of the best detective stories I've ever read, I think. The plot twists and turns, and we share Morse's frustration as one theory after another turns out to be a dead end, before the final solution is unveiled. A much darker and more complex plot than the TV adaptation.

"Off With His Head" by Ngaio Marsh

The 19th book in the "Inspector Alleyn" series. A man is decapitated during a folk dance, and Alleyn has to discover how and why. Very ingenious plot. I very much enjoyed this one.

"The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn" by Colin Dexter

3rd book in the "Inspector Morse" series. Still reading this one. A deaf man who works for a foreign examination board in Oxford is found dead from cyanide poisoning. Morse and Lewis are on the case. A complex web of jealousy and interpersonal relationships complicate the case. Not as good as "Last Seen Wearing", but still very enjoyable.

"The Curse of the Pharaohs" by Elizabeth Peters

The 2nd book in the "Amelia Peabody" series. An enjoyable romp in turn of the 20th century Egypt, with a Pharaoh's curse and a newly-discovered tomb. Extremely enjoyable, and very appropriate for reading while in Egypt, as I did .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #14533
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Finished the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb, 3 books. It was a good series.

For the moment I'm feeling a little bit tired of Fantasy so I've started on Fall Of Giants by Ken Follett one of my favorite authors for his historical fiction books. The thing I like about Follett is that he lures you in right away. I'm already hooked to the story and people after only a few chapters.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #14534
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
My current read is Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress. Its a pretty good book so far. It is a novel about how genetic engineering in the future creates a caste of people who don't need sleep. It is 99 cents on Kindle. I got it awhile back but never started reading it. I decided to try it when the historical fiction I got from the library didn't keep my attention.
Tell us how you go. I also picked this one up for 99 cents and have it in my "one day" pile.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #14535
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One I just remembered I also read when I was away on holiday, and thoroughly enjoyed: Brandon Sanderson's "Warbreaker". This is a standalone fantasy and, as with all of Sanderson's books, has an ingenious magic system and strong world-building (which people tend to either love or hate - I very much like it). Description from Wiki:

Quote:
Warbreaker tells the story of two princesses, Vivenna and Siri. Vivenna was contracted through treaty to marry the God-King of rival nation Hallendren. Instead Siri is sent to meet the treaty. Vivenna then follows to Hallendren in hopes of saving Siri from her fate. Both sisters become involved in intrigues relating to an imminent war between their home nation of Idris and Hallendren.
The book is available in full, for free, on Brandon Sanderson's web site, under a Creative Commons licence, although I bought it from Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote