Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #17566
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
Few days ago I finished The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin, from my fantasy challenge, and that was so bad, I wouldn't recommend her to anybody. Awful writing style, very little of world-building, almost no character development. I didn't care for any except one minor character, all other were flat as a wall. Will not be finishing this trilogy. No thx.
I really enjoyed this one, when I read it for the Hugos two years ago. I can't remember if I gave it my top vote or my second vote, but it was in my top two of the five nominees. I found it unusual and imaginative. I guess we look for different things in a book.

I have a few books to update, myself:

The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie. A fairly preposterous thriller, probably not one of Christie's best works, but still quite good fun.

The Bohr Maker by Linda Nagata. Imaginative nanotechnology SF which I really liked. I'll definitely be pursuing the rest of the series. (It does stand alone. I think the next one is set a long time later.)

My Booky Wook by Russell Brand. Very funny autobiographical tale of self-destruction and heroin abuse. I'm not especially a fan, I just picked this up cheaply on a whim, but I enjoyed it.

Gallow: The Crimson Shield by Nathan Hawke. The first in a brand new action fantasy series, which I happened to win in a competition. I didn't necessarily mean to read it straight away, but it was very easy to get into. Kind of reminded me of David Gemmell and Bernard Cornwell. Good fun.

Only the Linda Nagata was an ebook. The rest were paper, and gain me back some shelf space (although I'm keeping the Nathan Hawke. It has a nice cover.)
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #17567
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Reading Sarah Hoyt's A Few Good Men. A sequel to Darkship Thieves and Darkship Renegades. Sadly, this series which started so very promisingly with Darkship Thieves has gone downhill since and this one is not encouraging for the rest that are to follow. I may finish it, but I can't recommend it, and won't be buying later ones.
That's a shame. I have all three queued up due to purchasing the Baen monthly bundles. I wasn't aware that there were any more in the series.

On September 1, I finished two books which I had been reading for most of August. First finished was a Kindle book, Flesh of the God, the 7th in Lauren Haney's mystery series set in ancient Egypt. There's only one more book in the series. Then, I finished reading A Killer Read, a cozy mystery by Erika Chase. According to Goodreads, I'm still 2 books behind schedule to meet my goal of 150 for the year.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #17568
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I used my lunch break to read The Man Who Bridged the Mist by Kij Johnson. It is a Nebula and Hugo Award winning novella (although my word count puts it into the "novelette" range). It was an interesting story, although I am not sure I like the ending. Maybe that is the engineer in me speaking out. I would love to see a longer version of this story or something else that explains some of the mysteries in their world.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #17569
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I have been reading Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Maturin but at 20% in, my attention is lagging. At this point in the book, the main character is hearing the life story of a man he saved from a shipwreck, who himself is quoting a letter handed to him in secret from within the convent where they were staying. The letter recounts various conversations and actions of the past.

This layering of narrative seems to be typical for this particular book.

The book seemed intriguing enough at first but now it feels unrelentingly negative. Negativity is part and parcel of gothic fiction but I am beginning to feel I want some more variation, more shades of grey.

No, not those shades of grey!

I'll look around in my TBR pile and see if anything piques my interest. Reading suggestions are also always welcome.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #17570
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
That's a shame. I have all three queued up due to purchasing the Baen monthly bundles. I wasn't aware that there were any more in the series.
More are supposedly coming, though these three are all that there are right now. Personally, I'd read the first one, Darkship Thieves, for sure. And then I'd suggest maybe reading the second one. But stop there. I was very disappointed in where the whole thing went.

Meanwhile, I finished reading the first Anne McCaffrey Dragon bookDragonflight, and rolled right on to them second one, Dragonquest. It's interesting to read these now, many years later, and knowing what an impact these had on a whole generation of writers and readers.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #17571
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Midst Toil and Tribulation by David Weber. The latest in his Safehold series, now at a sensible price as the paperback has come out.
And what a long book it is! But I'm enjoying it more than the previous one in the series. I not sure if that's because I'm in a better mood, or because there's a bit more action in this one.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #17572
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And what a long book it is! But I'm enjoying it more than the previous one in the series. I not sure if that's because I'm in a better mood, or because there's a bit more action in this one.
It's the action.
Like a Mighty Army is due out in February.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #17573
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have just started Under a Graveyard Sky by John Ringo and it is one I do not want to put down. I do not usually read Zombie books per se, but I do like most of John Ringo's works. I think the last Zombie book I read was I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.
This is well worth getting even if you are not a Zombie Fan.
Apache
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #17574
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have just started Under a Graveyard Sky by John Ringo and it is one I do not want to put down. I do not usually read Zombie books per se, but I do like most of John Ringo's works.
Has he dropped the ultra-right-wing political rhetoric? I used to like Ringo, but the last couple of books of his that I read were more like extremist political manifestos than SF, which really put me off him.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #17575
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just finished "We Few" to finish off the Empire of Man series.

Now I am switching gears and will start "Reamde" by Neal Stephenson.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #17576
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has he dropped the ultra-right-wing political rhetoric? I used to like Ringo, but the last couple of books of his that I read were more like extremist political manifestos than SF, which really put me off him.
I have just started the book, but so far there isn't any overt Right Wing Politics.
Apache
Old 09-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #17577
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have just started the book, but so far there isn't any overt Right Wing Politics.
Apache
Good to hear. The last book of his I tried was "The Last Centurion", in which I found the political rhetoric so grossly unpleasant that I abandoned it a third of the way through, and that's something I very rarely do.

I have absolutely no problem with any author holding whatever political views they wish; what I object to is when they use their fiction to try to evangelise those views, and that's what Mr Ringo did in several of his recent works.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-04-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #17578
Grace Elliot
Groupie
Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grace Elliot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I have just started Under a Graveyard Sky by John Ringo and it is one I do not want to put down. I do not usually read Zombie books per se, but I do like most of John Ringo's works. I think the last Zombie book I read was I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.
This is well worth getting even if you are not a Zombie Fan.
Apache
A new author to me but I like the sound of a book I can't put down.
Grace Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #17579
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Elliot View Post
A new author to me but I like the sound of a book I can't put down.
You're not an SF fan, I take it? John Ringo is an extremely well-known SF author, best known for writing military SF.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #17580
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I finished The Day of the Jackal, which was a remarkable book, though the end was not as climactic as the build-up deserved. But that is genre-specific, I guess. Staying with the genre, but changed the author for the next novel: Jackdaws by Ken Follett.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote