Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
NewDay
Connoisseur
NewDay doesn't litterNewDay doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Editing epub html in Springy?

I'm using Springy to edit epub documents that need to have the identifier changed in the toc.ncx and the package.opf to reflect the correct (just for epub) ISBN (these are heritage files that were outsourced for epub conversion without a separate epub ISBN having been assigned). I've been successful at this part of the job. However, now I need to be sure that the copyright page, as viewed on an ebook reader such as iPad, has the correct (e.g., for epub) ISBN. To do this I need to edit the copyright page in the html file.

Forgive this novice, but just how do I do this?
NewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
What is Springy? A file compressor/archiver? Then you have to locate the (X)HTML file that contains the copyright page and edit it...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
NewDay
Connoisseur

Springy will let you edit a zip file without unzipping it. And that has worked for the metadata portions of this job (toc.ncx and package.opf). But now I want to change the xhtml on the copyright page as viewed on screen (to reflect the correct ISBN, discrete to the epub and separate from the print version, which the corrected metadata now carries). I know exactly where it IS, and I can view it (on the web browser that pops up when I double-click), but I can't CHANGE it. I need to know how to CHANGE it.

Anyone?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I've never used Springy, but try this: Instead of double-clicking on the html file, right-click to get a menu that (one hopes) includes [Open With], then select an ordinary text editor like Notepad or WordPad (or Gvim or Gedit on Linux) -- not Word! Then you should be able to edit the file. Probably BBEdit for Mac, I'm not sure.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
NewDay
Connoisseur

Didn't work, Pholy. Anyway, I'm using a MacBook Pro: no right-click. I'm using Springy because it was recommended by Elizabeth Castro in her very recent EPUB Straight to the Point,
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
You can right-click on the Mac using Shift+Click. Or better yet use Sigil for editing.

Last edited by dynabook; 09-30-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Clarity
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
NewDay
Connoisseur

Thanks, dynabook. I'm gonna try Sigil.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
NewDay
Connoisseur

Installed Sigil, tried to open an epub created by Macmillan from a pdf file, got an error message indicating "permission denied". Stumped.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
NewDay
Connoisseur

Pholy and dynabook, I got it. Pholy, you were pointing me to the right track, but I didn't know how to interpret it. Here's what worked: in Springy, visualizing the .html file as an icon, I did a Control-Click (the right-click intuition was pretty darn close) then changed the default to TextEdit. I also needed to change the Preferences for Text Edit under Open and Save, to ignore Rich Text commands when opening html files. So I now have an .html copyright page file that reflects the epub ISBN instead of the older print ISBN.
Thanks to Dave Taylor for these instructions!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDay View Post
Installed Sigil, tried to open an epub created by Macmillan from a pdf file, got an error message indicating "permission denied". Stumped.
This is fixed in Sigil trunk, and the fix will be in the next release of Sigil. It's caused by weird people removing read access (the filesystem kind, not the encryption kind) from their content files before zipping them up into an epub. The only reason why these files open at all in other applications is because those apps don't follow the ZIP specification.

I've made the unzipping component of Sigil "dumber" so that such files can be opened (and afterwards, saved with proper read access).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
NewDay
Connoisseur

Well, those files were zipped by an outsourced subsidiary of Macmillan charging 25 cents a page. I guess you get what you pay for, eh?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
barncat
barncat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
This was a very educational thread. I thank you all for it, nearly two years later. The fixes may not work exactly on my problem, but I'm loosened up to find workarounds of my own based on these things.
barncat is offline   Reply With Quote