Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 05:41 AM   #16
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Vodafone do a "pay as you go" 3G dongle which costs £15 for 1GB of data, and it never expires. It's perfect for occasional use - I've had mine for a year and used less than £1 of my credit in that time.
"3" (in the UK) offers 15GB for £15.00 a month on a 24 month contract. So it doesn't have to be expensive.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #17
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
"3" (in the UK) offers 15GB for £15.00 a month on a 24 month contract. So it doesn't have to be expensive.
£15 a month for 24 months would be £360! (unless my mental maths has gone bad) - that seems quite expensive to me to to access email and wikipedia I just rang my provider (T-Mobile) and they told me £5 per month or £20 for 6 months but even that seemed expensive for what I'm after. It just seems a shame that networks can't offer data based priced on usage ie £20 for 20GB with no time limitations and world wide access would be perfect. I'd of thought the idea of getting money up front for something that effectively costs them nothing would suit them very well.

The USB dongle thing still looks like good value but I'm guessing an ereader might have problems powering it and 1GB still looks very limiting.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
The USB dongle thing still looks like good value but I'm guessing an ereader might have problems powering it and 1GB still looks very limiting.
1GB is loads for e-mail and basic web browsing. I typically find that handling my day's e-mail via my ISP's "webmail" interface uses around 1MB of downloaded data, so that costs 1.5p with my Vodafone dongle. With webmail, of course, you don't download all your mail - you just delete all the crap (which is obvious from the title) without reading it, then read and respond to the handful of messages which remain. As I say, in over a year, I've used less than £1 on credit on my dongle, so for me personally, it's the perfect solution for occasional usage.

That's with a netbook, of course. Such things don't work with eBook readers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #19
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's with a netbook, of course. Such things don't work with eBook readers.
I'm guessing here but if the Pocketbook 302 has a USB host facility and it runs Linux and a driver is available then it should be possible to use one. That's a lot of "ifs" but the possibility is certainly there. No doubt some global network will come to it's senses and offer a simple SIM card that can be inserted into an ereader and everything will work hunky dory and from anywhere - web email, wikipedia, maps, RSS feeds etc.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
Luckily even the UK has managed to keep up with all this new fangled modern technology I'm just trying to get a clear idea of how 3G works when applied to ereaders. Oddly even the info given above appears a little contradictory
Not if read in the right context, most folks that say 3G on their device is free are in the states and have said so. The folks that say it is restricted are outside of the states and have said so. That is because Amazon has used ATT for world coverage.
--------------------
Yeah I think it is possible to add 3G dongle support for the eInk devices, since most use linux or android. The real issue is that these devices are not designed for these kinds of usage and the processing power on them is very minimal.
For the price of an eink device you should by a netbook since these devices will suit your needs more than an eInk device.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #21
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

Summary then is as follows:
  • USA - buy kindle or nook and use free 3G connection.
  • Rest of world - buy an ereader that supports wifi and pay for wifi in coffee shops etc. Buy an ereader that supports bluetooth and use a phone that can give you data access over bluetooth with a suitable subscription to pay for it all.
  • alternatively don't bother and just keep reading your ebook.
Speed of ereaders isn't really an issue - if they can browse over a wifi network then they can browse over any other type of network. Screen refresh rate will be annoying but I guess that will improve over time. I assume intermediary servers will give faster / more text based access to popular web pages.