Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Possible downsides of using cloud storage?

Hi,

I've been considering moving my Calibre library to either my Dropbox or Box sync folder to make keeping a backup of my library easier, only I'm not sure if this is a good idea?

I was hoping to hear from the community. To find out if anyone has experienced any problems, or if it's been smooth sailing?

It's hard to figure out the pros and cons of this approach.

I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks!
Amalthia

Last edited by Amalthia; 02-03-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've had my library folder in Dropbox for over a year, and it works well. I'd definitely recommend it, as long as you have enough space on Dropbox.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

I have the space. I think my worry was what happens if Dropbox goes out of business or has to shut down, would users lose access to their files?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
I think my worry was what happens if Dropbox goes out of business or has to shut down, would users lose access to their files?
You'd probably lose access to the copy that Dropbox has, but the local copy of your files would remain. I would always recommend having a backup that isn't dependent on a third party. Personally, I have all my important files in Dropbox and backed up to an external USB hard drive.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
My approach is to store things as normal on my PC, and then use Allways Sync (or similar tools) to replicate those directories to my local DropBox, and then allow DropBox to do it's magic.

I treat the files in their original locations as masters and only do one way replication via Allways Sync to DropBox, so if ever I *were* to change something in DropBox the change would not propagate back to my PC.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
My approach is to store things as normal on my PC, and then use Allways Sync (or similar tools) to replicate those directories to my local DropBox, and then allow DropBox to do it's magic.

I treat the files in their original locations as masters and only do one way replication via Allways Sync to DropBox, so if ever I *were* to change something in DropBox the change would not propagate back to my PC.
At the moment I have my Allways Sync program pointed at the dropbox location as the master copy and my usb as the backup. I may switch that around...