Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
bbhuston
Enthusiast
bbhuston began at the beginning.

Device: kindle PW; kindle DX; Sony DPT-S1
Problem with Puttytel — Help, please.

Greetings!

Can anyone help me troubleshoot the issue that I've having with KindleVNCviewer? Details and images are listed below.

ISSUE: I cannot connect to Kindle DX via puttytel. Every time I try to tunnel into my kindle the puttytel command prompt opens, blinks for 8/9 secs, then just closes.

[Screenshots put inside spoiler tags]
Spoiler:

ENVIRONMENT:

Kindle DXG
firmware 2.5.8
jailbreak .11 N
usbnet .46 N
latest version of Hawthorne's KindleVNCViewer

TightVNC server
Windows 7 (32-bit)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me fix this problem!

Ben

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-21-2012 at 05:38 AM. Reason: moved thread, put screenshots inside spoiler tags
bbhuston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
bbhuston
Enthusiast

ADDITIONAL DETAILS:

-I actually had the KindleVNCviewer hack installed and working on my DX 8 months ago. But, when I recently tried to use the hack, after a period of 3-4 months where it got zero use, it no longer worked.

-I have installed/used the hack precisely has described in this hyper-linked TinyApps tutorial.

-I already taken the following steps in my attempt to get the hack to work again:

1) uninstalled my DX's previously installed jailbreak and usbnetwork hacks
2) deleted the kindlevncviewer folder that was in my DX's root usb directory
3) reset my DX to its factory default settings
4) upgraded my DX's firmware from 2.5.5 to 2.5.8
5) reinstallled the the latest version of the jailbreak and usbnetwork hacks
6) copied the newest version of the kindlevncviewer hack to my DX's root directory
7) installed the latest versions of both Puttytel and TightVNC on my computer
8) followed all of the other misc. directions listed in the aforementioned TinyApps tutorial

but I still have had no success getting the hack to work!

Last edited by bbhuston; 12-29-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
um...
Let's take a step back.

Can you ssh into the device. until the answer is yes then all the other stuff wont work.

So forget about everything but that.

You say you are using puttytel to assumedly telnet in.

Why not try normal putty and just attach on port 22 to test the ssh stuff.

Also... Has the networking configuration changed at all during that time at your location?
DHCP Ip address range changed maybe? worth just double double checking your settings... ( I suppose)

One thought: Could it be that you need to empty your ssh known_hosts file?
I utterly forget how puttytel works (It been a while)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
@OP:
What twobob said: Check networking to the kindle, all other things are second.
Can you ping the kindle? (On command line, run "ping 192.168.2.2")

The usb network hack seems to be working, since you see the device in Windows.

What irritates me is vncserver in one screenshot that specifies that it is listening on "192.168.2.1, 192.168.2.3". Where does that second IP (.3) come from? Are you on a private (W-)LAN which has a clashing IP address space (i.e. 192.168.2.0/24)?

Did you check the usb network hack documentation that came with the hack? I recognize that IP from my K3, does the KDX network hack use the same addresses? Also check the usb network hack config files. Did you change them?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
bbhuston
Enthusiast

Twobob, thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the full version of putty and it appears that I can't even ssh into my DX (screenshot below).

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0b5adaa4.png

My putty settings seem to be set to erase old known host files.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...psf6847ebd.png

I moved recently, so my ISP and modem/router have changed. But I always use default settings to set up my wifi networks (including my current one), so I hope this isn't the problem. Regarding your DHCP question, all that I can confirm is that my network is "DHCP enabled" (screenshot below). Also, shown below a general snapshot of my wifi network, in case that's of interest.

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...psed086552.png

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...psf180e024.png

Last edited by bbhuston; 01-01-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
bbhuston
Enthusiast

Hawhill, thanks for your post (and your hack).

I tried pinging my DX via putty, but I couldn't get a response. (My puttytell simply will show the code that I've typed -- "ping 192.168.2.2" -- then it close after 8/9 seconds, as usual.)

I don't believe that I'm on a private WLAN. I just use standard password protected 801.11 wifi network. Also, I have no idea why Tightvnc shows two different listening ip adresses (Ultravnc does the same thing). About 8 months ago, when I was first messing with the kindlevncviewer hack, my computer would recognize my DX as different RDNIS device (and install new drivers each time) the first few times that I attached it to my computer using the usbNetwork hack. My computer eventually stopped doing this, but afterwards Tightvnc was always shown two ip addresses. (Also, in the past, I have been able to use the kindlevncviewer hack even when two ip addresses were displayed by tightvc.)

I have read the documentation associated with both the kindlevncviwer and usbnetwork hacks. I have not changed either hacks' default settings.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

right... From what I read here...

a) I would setup the device to use a static IP. (or not - this would be a sure fire way to KNOW the IP address. - You would do this in your router.

b) what is the IP address reported in ;711 page in settings - on the kindle.

I get a strong sense that you aren't even pointing at the kindle....
Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
bbhuston
Enthusiast

Twobob, thanks again for the suggestions.

I think that I've already set up a static ip address for DX (as per the TinyApps.org tutorial). I'm reposting the screenshot that shows these configuration below.

Spoiler:

Also, I'm not exactly sure how I can find the ip address for my DX. I've tried pressing DEL on the HOME screen of my DX and then entering ;711, followed by RETURN. However, this simply prompts me with the message ";711=711." How exactly do you find the ip address info via the device's settings tab?

Thanks again.

Ben

Last edited by twobob; 03-28-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
bbhuston
Enthusiast

Twobob,

I figured out the 711 puzzle. I needed to hold down ALT and then press 411 in my DX's settings menu instead.

Unfortunately, my DX's 411 page doesn't list anything about an ip address whatsoever. The DX is 3G only so perhaps this isn't a surprise.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ben
Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
bbhuston
Enthusiast

UPDATE:

If anyone is having the same problem as I had and happened to stumble across this thread, I solved the issue by doing the following:

Buy a new kindle to pc usb cord! I tried a new cord and the problem completely resolved itself.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
twobob

ah thanks for the report!!!

Yeah... I recall other users reporting similar headaches with bad connectors...