Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
new_babylon
new_babylon began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 912
Modify duration of pauses after dots/full stops in TTS of PocketBook Pro 912

Hello everybody,

I want to reduce the duration of the pauses which occur after each dot/full stop when using the Text-To-Speech function of PocketBook Pro 912.

Has anybody found a way to achieve this, yet?
new_babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
No, for this you'd need a new TTS software
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
new_babylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
No, for this you'd need a new TTS software
Please excuse my ignorance. Are you saying that there is an alternative TTS software for the PocketBook Pro 912?

Last edited by new_babylon; 10-12-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
No, I say that you would need a new one which is not available.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
It seems to me that part of the pause comes when the screen is updated to highlight the next sentence to be read. Without that delay, it would probably sound okay. So, I'm not sure a different TTS program would be any better. It would be good if the voice could start reading while the screen was changing.

I agree that it is annoying.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
new_babylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
It seems to me that part of the pause comes when the screen is updated to highlight the next sentence to be read.
This seems plausible. It seems also probable that the TTS software could continue reading faster as there is no difference in this duration between long/complex and short/simple sentences. (This would indicate that the delay is not due to the complexity of calculations, etc.)

As rkomar wrote, it seems as if the TTS merely waits for the screen to update the emphasis to the next sentence. I suppose that the GUI does simply not provide the option to modify the duration though possible in principle. Unfortunately, I lack the ability to "hack" the TTS software to make the configuration possible.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_babylon View Post
As rkomar wrote, it seems as if the TTS merely waits for the screen to update the emphasis to the next sentence. I suppose that the GUI does simply not provide the option to modify the duration though possible in principle. Unfortunately, I lack the ability to "hack" the TTS software to make the configuration possible.
I'm not sure you have the opportunity, either. I've looked at the fbreader source code that PocketBook have released, and although there are some upper-level calls to the TTS software, I didn't see any code that really did anything. I expect the TTS code is proprietary, and wasn't distributed. The libinkview API also doesn't have any TTS functions in it.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
new_babylon

It seems we can only hope for an update as the pauses render the function essentially worthless -- at least for me.

Tags
full stop, pause, pocketbook pro 912, text-to-speech, tts