Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-21-2008, 05:26 AM   #121
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Device: eBookwise 1150 reader, Samsung E60 reader, SAMSUNG N150 netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Robert:

I don't use BD, so I'm not too sure about issue 1).

However, issue 2). and issue 3). happen because your resulting .IMP is basically a collection of 'images' for each page, not text. This happens when you select MultiLang support. It does produce a very attractive page with this selected, but at the expense of not having 'real' words to 'lookup' or 'zoom' out.

Search for how others have handled MultiLang support, especially if you want the text to support accents and such.
I (and others) do need accented characters; fortunately, sice rusian has them also, it is not difficult to get them, and I have had no problem so far.

As for the running headers, there must be a way; I have converted one of my eBooks to the lrf format (attached), and there is an option for headers and footers; however, there is no lrf "viewer", so I cannot test this file. Is there a Sony viewer program for Windows out there?

However, the .Imp eBook creation windows does not give you the option for headers and footers... Other software, such as GEBLibrarian, creates nice headers by default...
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Dawn Of Flame.lrf (218.3 KB, 655 views)
Roberts324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #122
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts324 View Post
As for the running headers, there must be a way; I have converted one of my eBooks to the lrf format (attached), and there is an option for headers and footers; however, there is no lrf "viewer", so I cannot test this file. Is there a Sony viewer program for Windows out there?
I just found one at https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/; and the headers are not there... Not sure what is going on with BD...
Advert
Old 02-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #123
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts324 View Post
I just found one at https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/; and the headers are not there... Not sure what is going on with BD...
The viewer in libprs500 does not display headers or footers... it has some other minor display bugs as well. You should get the eBook Library software from Sony (free download), it has near-perfect emulation of what the LRF file will look like on the Reader.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #124
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
I'm trying to change the font to an lrf ebook.

I have converted it to lrs with lrf2lrf but now how can I open it with BD?
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #125
Chekkmate
Chekkmate began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Installing BD

First off I want to say thank you to everyone who has posted instructions for installing BD. I was running Windows Vista Home edition and had absolutely no problems installing. However, i just bought a new laptop with vista ultimate (64 bit) and i couldn't get the program to install. after perusing the site for about a half hour i finally got it to work, so in the interest of helping anyone else who might still be having problems, here's what i did (basically its a compilation of a few people's instructions):

1. Install the 4.0 BD, and the latest 7/30/2007 update.

2. Create the subdirectory C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0\Sony Reader, and the subdirectory C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0\LastFile.

3. Open a Command Prompt. Go to the Book Designer 4.0 directory, and run the following command: regsvr32 GflAx.dll.

4. Try to run the program. If you get an error about the missing comdlg32.ocx download the missing COMDLG32.OCX Library File (I used Google to find it - http://www.ascentive.com/support/new...e=COMDLG32.OCX) and put it in the book designer folder

5. Open up a command prompt while UAC is turned off and type:

regsvr32 /u comdlg32.ocx
regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx

6. Try to run the program again. If you then get an error about the missing comctl32.ocx download the missing COMCTL32.OCX Library File (http://www.ascentive.com/support/new...e=COMCTL32.OCX) and repeat the process (typing comctl32.ocx instead of comdlg32.ocx). It should work now.

i hope this helps anyone that's still struggling
Chekkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #126
the crayon kid
the crayon kid began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Have only recently become a member to the forum but if it wasn't for the destructions posted here (thanks JSWolf) I think I would have taken a gas ax my computer trying to get BD working. My brain and computer thank you.
the crayon kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #127
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You are very welcome. I hope you've also installed the Book Cleaner files as well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #128
DasFool
DasFool began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle DXG
I don't suppose there's a hack that makes BD work with OpenOffice instead of word is there? I don't use MS Word so does that mean I'm S.O.L.?
DasFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:01 AM   #129
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You are very welcome. I hope you've also installed the Book Cleaner files as well.
Are book cleaner files a separate install? (this could explain why its never worked for me)

How do I install these?
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:17 AM   #130
Roberts324
Mad translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
Are book cleaner files a separate install? (this could explain why its never worked for me)

How do I install these?
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649
Old 10-10-2008, 08:13 AM   #131
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
JSWOLFE, I downloaded BD and it seems to be the tool I've been looking for. The screen looks nothing like what is shown in the tutorials. The windows menus and formating above the CD icons does not show.

I loaded the Haggard txt file and began the tutorial. The edit functions, in both Read and Edit, do not provide a standard edit cursor, but only allows high lighting. In the Corrector pallate, Book Title and Author, but Title does not work. After I save and reload, The original text file returns and none of the changes have been saved.

So, I have done something majorly (??) wrong. If you can point me in the right direction, I will remember you in my will and give you my first born. I think that this is the tool I have been looking for.

Many thanks, Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:18 AM   #132
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Did you install BD v4, then the latest update?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #133
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
JSWOLFE, I downloaded BD and it seems to be the tool I've been looking for. The screen looks nothing like what is shown in the tutorials. The windows menus and formating above the CD icons does not show.

I loaded the Haggard txt file and began the tutorial. The edit functions, in both Read and Edit, do not provide a standard edit cursor, but only allows high lighting. In the Corrector pallate, Book Title and Author, but Title does not work. After I save and reload, The original text file returns and none of the changes have been saved.

So, I have done something majorly (??) wrong. If you can point me in the right direction, I will remember you in my will and give you my first born. I think that this is the tool I have been looking for.

One thing to note.. Book Designer has a bug where loading text fles can cause incorrect paragraphs. So take your text file and resave it as RTF and it will load fine.

Many thanks, Charlie
How did you install BD? What OS are you running?

BD has a bug where if you load a text file, the paragraphs can get messed up somewhat. Best wat to overcome that bug is to save the text file as RTF and then load the RTF into BD. That will keep the paragraphs.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #134
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Installing BD 40

I should have answered the post earlier. Sorry!

Once I read the instructions well, it installed OK. This is the tool I have beem looking for. Before I was using an html editor.

Questions:

How does BD save the files and settings for a book? When I look in the folder for the book, I see only some temp HTML files and the original files - text and jpgs- and nothing else. I have one book that I originally left justified the TOC. I reload and center the TOC, And make the MOBI book OK. After saving the changes and reload the book, the TOC is still left justified.

It was mentioned in the thread to install BD to another location. My install gives no choice and installs to win\program files.

Thanks for showing me the greatest tool since fire making.

Charlie

Last edited by crutledge; 10-15-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #135
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Book Designer SAVE

I have just run into the following problem with BD. It suddenly does not save the book and attendent image refs to the last file folder.

Trying to solve the problem, I took the following actions:
Restarted thecomputer. No change.
Re-installed BD. No change.

I finally found the files in the Temp folder. This is apparently where history is kept so all is not lost. However, I have done something weird and it is a real pain.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Charlie

Tags
bookdesigner