Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
6502programmer
6502programmer began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Cracked button - when to replace?

I have a nook 3G that I purchased at Best Buy in the end of June 2010. Now, not even two months old, I've developed a crack on the left page forward button. From the start, there was something "funny" about that button. It's as if the contact wasn't placed properly, and pressing on the inside of the bezel on that button would click twice, but not actually register a click. I had to click on the outside of the bezel to get it to take. I bought the nook over the Kindle because of Softroot, and have been quite happy with it. I would be quite disappointed if I couldn't root it, mostly because I do my reading almost exclusively through sideloaded books.

So, here's the question. Should I replace now, or hold off a few months? I'm inclined to wait, mostly to see what hardware changes are coming and make sure Softroot can be resurrected. Worst case scenario, I get a refurb, trade with my wife, and root hers.
6502programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I had the same problem on my first Nook. Mine wasn't really cracking but it had this "funny" feeling you are talking about. It wasn't as responsive as the other buttons and I had to click twice for it to work. I called CS and replaced it right away. I am anal with stuff like that. I'd exchange right away if it were me but good luck with your decision.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
cynvision
cynvision began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Mark me up as another with the left side page forward button being stiff. However, the right bezel page forward button just cracked on me last week. So, I'm left wondering which one is the truly defective one. Hmmm?

Oh, I sort of expected this to happen because the display units at our B&N had cracked buttons when I purchased mine. But are there replacement parts or is this all something I should rush over and demand something based on whatever warranty there is?
cynvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
You;ll need to contact B&N CS via phone. And since you bought it at Best Buy, they'll need a few days to enter your warranty. And if you give them a credit card for security, they mail out a replacement with a call tag for you to send the broken one back.
Then it takes about 3 business days to get the replacement Nook via UPS. They were backlogged on BB warranty entries when I called last month, so it took me two weeks from start to finish to get my replacement.

One rep said they hadn't made any changes, so the new one might crack, too. Another rep said they are reinforcing the buttons iwth metal to prevent cracking. No idea, as I haven't opened the replacement until I know they aren't going to charge my card for the new one. I have my Opus, so it hasn't been a problem. I'm also thinking about the new Sony Readers - so much lighter than the Nook...
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote