Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-02-2019, 12:07 AM   #16
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolja View Post
The Voyage has a better screen in terms of brightness and contrast and has the Origami case. These are 2 features I wouldn't give up. The screen is the most important thing for me on an e-reader and I like to read while eating which the Origami case is perfect for. I have 3 working Voyages, two relatively new and I hope they last a long, long time.
I didn't like the concept of the Origami when I saw it and didn't buy one when I got my Kindle. I was using a cheaper, but more regular cover.
I decided to buy one one year ago, when I realized I could use it as a stand while I was eating. At the end, I just love this cover so much. I pop out the Kindle when I read and put it back so easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
Have you checked your Kindle Keyboard recently to see if the 3G still works? I don't know exactly when the 3G hardware in mine took a permanent vacation but it's gone, and I remember reading somewhere that it's a common problem as the KKs age. If I'd known it had a somewhat short shelf life I wouldn't have spent the extra money on it.
Oh, I didn't know this was a thing. I thought Amazon was providing the cellular connection without time restriction. Maybe it's just defective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4katz View Post
I love my Voyage. I don't use the 3G very often but for the price I like to think I don't have to worry about being out of range of wifi. I like the haptic buttons (although would prefer real ones) and I like the adjustable light. I can't think of anything else I need except what is on the Voyage. But some day Amazon will figure that out and I will probably spend the money. I haven't seen the PW4 so I really can't judge.
I would say I use the haptic buttons 33% of the time. They can be really handy. I don't know if I would miss them.
And yes I really love this device !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Okay does anybody know why Amazon hasn't made a reader with as good a screen as the Voyage, which is, what, 3 yo. I know the PW is cheaper but the more expensive Oasis apparently isn't quite as good either. They all use Carta so it's down to the LEDs and light layer, which somehow have gotten worse.
Wasn't it 2014 ? It's an 'old' piece of technology but it seems still really on par with the other actual readers. I really love its form factor and premium finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No idea, but perhaps it has something to do with all the complaints about uneven frontlight color of the Voyage. Both the Oasis 1 and 2 (and I think also the Paperwhites) have more even frontlight, but somewhat more washed-out text. Perhaps Amazon tried to fix the frontlight after the Voyage came out and many people complained, but unfortunately that fix also reduced contrast.

Mind you, that's just a wild guess, I have absolutely no data and also no real knowledge of the subject.
That's funny cause it never bothered me, but I might have a good unit.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:15 AM   #17
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No idea, but perhaps it has something to do with all the complaints about uneven frontlight color of the Voyage. Both the Oasis 1 and 2 (and I think also the Paperwhites) have more even frontlight, but somewhat more washed-out text. Perhaps Amazon tried to fix the frontlight after the Voyage came out and many people complained, but unfortunately that fix also reduced contrast.

Mind you, that's just a wild guess, I have absolutely no data and also no real knowledge of the subject.
Iirc the Oasis has the gradient too, it just goes from left to right instead of top to bottom.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2019, 03:25 AM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Iirc the Oasis has the gradient too, it just goes from left to right instead of top to bottom.
Yes, but it's not as bad as the Voyage gradient. It's even, at least. My Voyage has an uneven pinkish gradient (fortunately only visible in the dark, which is not my normal reading situation).

Of course that might not be the reason at all. Still, I've wondered about it as well, many times. Strange.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:38 PM   #19
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Barryem said, "The Paperwhite 4 also has a flush bezel but for some reason I'm not always turning pages if I hold it wrong. Maybe it's the size or something about the shape."
e got my Paperwhite 4 on January 13th when my sister brought it to me. The more I used it the worse my experience was with turning pages. Then I turned on the setting to eliminate tap responses and it worked. I turn the PW4 off with the button and back on and the tapping returned and the page turning problem was gone.

But, it came back. I think I've figured it out.

I've been using a Paperwhite for 6.5 years. I had a brief time using the Voyage, gave it away, and returned to the Paperwhite. I bought an Oasis 2 and promptly returned it and returned to the Paperwhite.

So, for 6.5 years and I don't know how many hundreds of books I've been reaching far enough to the left with my right thumb to clear the bezel and tap the screen. Now, there is no raised bezel.

I discovered that as I read if I don't pay attention my thumb doesn't reach the actual screen.

I wasn't copying Barryem but when the Paperwhite 4 came on the market with Amazon.mx I got a second one. Since Kindle hasn't given us USB-C with rapid charge I alternate with two readers. As I set up the new PW4 I paid close attention and while typing passwords and device names and what-have-you not a single tap failed.

Just my experience but I'm happy and will pay attention until the new "reach" becomes automatic.

Oh, and I like buttons on my Kindle almost as much as I like buttons on my fly.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:04 PM   #20
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I never tap. I always turn pages by swiping. That used to be a never ending, almost religious discussion topic. The Kindle world was divided into swipers and tappers and I'm definitely a swiper. You don't see this topic discussed much anymore.

Anyway you might want to try swiping and see how that helps. You don't really have to turn off taps. Just don't use them. It's working for me.

One of my other devices, I forget if it's the Kobo or the Nook, let's me turn off tapping to turn pages and still let's me tap to use the menus. That's a nice option.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The Kindle world was divided into swipers and tappers...
Nope. There's also a third category. Those primitive souls who prefer... you guessed it... buttons!
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #22
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, so finally, the PaperWhite is on sale on Amazon.ca and surprisingly the cellular version is $50 off which brings it to CAD $189.99, a lot cheaper than the US model.
I’ve ordered it and might get it in a week or so. I hope it’s going to be a good experience coming from the Voyage.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #23
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
I never tap. I always turn pages by swiping. That used to be a never ending, almost religious discussion topic. The Kindle world was divided into swipers and tappers and I'm definitely a swiper. You don't see this topic discussed much anymore.

Anyway you might want to try swiping and see how that helps. You don't really have to turn off taps. Just don't use them. It's working for me.

One of my other devices, I forget if it's the Kobo or the Nook, let's me turn off tapping to turn pages and still let's me tap to use the menus. That's a nice option.

Barry
I use swiping when I'm looking at the different pages showing books I've downloaded. Taps don't work there. I'll keep playing with it but since my pleasure at reading on the Kindle trumps the irritation of the taps it's not a big deal.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #24
Almamida
Guru

Received the Paperwhite.

So, first impression, I don't know.
It's a bit bigger than the Kindle Voyage, almost the same weight. I realize I miss the sensors/buttons on the side as I surprised myself wanting to use them 2 or 3 times.

The screen is not as good as the Voyage as expected, a little bit less contrast. It's only noticeable when the the Kindle are side by side.

I think I need use it more to see if it's worth keeping it.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:46 PM   #25
Almamida
Guru

After one day of using exclusively the Paperwhite, the advantages of each Kindle :

Kindle Voyage :
- Screen contrast
- Frontlight uniformity / impossible to notice the lights even when I tilt the Kindle
- Screen more matte / less light reflections
- Screen doesn't keep fingerprints as much as the PW
- Sensors/buttons on the side (I use them much more than I realized)
- Premium finish and feeling
- Origami cover is amazing (Kindle is hold by magnets, allowing me to pop it in and out instantly)

Kindle Paperwhite 4
- LTE connection
- 32GB (for mangas)
- Waterproof

It's definitely a downgrade for me. I'll give myself a week to figure if I keep the paperwhite or send it back to wait for a potential Voyage upgrade
Old 02-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #26
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
After one day of using exclusively the Paperwhite, the advantages of each Kindle :

It's definitely a downgrade for me. I'll give myself a week to figure if I keep the paperwhite or send it back to wait for a potential Voyage upgrade
It looks like you can still get a new Voyage WiFi for $129.99 on Woot. I recently bought a new Voyage on the Amazon site where it still occasionally shows up and it works great. It is still my favorite Kindle by far.

https://computers.woot.com/offers/ki...lnd_cat_pc_5_3
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #27
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I just realized that since these Voyages Woot are selling are international 3G versions there might be a problem with battery life if the 3G is always looking for a tower and can't find one.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #28
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I just realized that since these Voyages Woot are selling are international 3G versions there might be a problem with battery life if the 3G is always looking for a tower and can't find one.

Barry
Just put them in airplane mode. Problem solved.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:07 AM   #29
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Just put them in airplane mode. Problem solved.
Is there any search bar code that could disable 3g?
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:54 AM   #30
Almamida
Guru

The thing is I already have a Kindle Voyage, but WiFi only version.
If the one on Woot was selling had the 3G activated and working in North America, I would get one of those.

Tags
pw4 vs voyage, voyage vs pw4