Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Older Nook R (the R is in a circle) & Overdrive APP

and the version I have is 1.4.5. I think I bought it in 2013 so I don't feel it is very old.

Yesterday my library2go (powered by Overdrive) stopped working. All I've read since lastnight is that the new APP for Overdrive doesn't support older Nooks. I've also read about using Adobe Digital Editions in order to "transfer" my books from my laptop (equipped with Overdrive) to my Nook.

I'm having a hard time understanding though, and hoping to meet someone here that has run into the same thing, and transitioned without having to by a new Reader.

Most of my books are borrowed from my library now, it's just cheaper and I get some very, good books.

One thing I'm confused about is, is the ADE another type of Library2go. I open up the Adobe Digital Editions, and it doesn't tell me how to hook it up to my Library2go.

Any help is so appreciated, Denise
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Not sure what a Nook R is (unless you're talking about the registered trademark R?), but going by the software version it sounds like it's a Nook Color (released 2010) or a Nook Tablet (released 2011). The HD and HD+ models use version 2 software.

The Color and Tab are tougher in that they don't have the Google Play store for apps and run very old versions of Android (2.x). OverDrive version 2.6.6 is the last version to run on that version of Android (which should work fine), but there is also the problem that B&N shut down the Nook App Store in March of this year pretty much abandoning Nook Color and Nook Tablet owners (newer Nook tablet models have the Google Play store). As I recall B&N didn't allow sideloading on those devices (well they briefly did on the Tablet, but took it away in an update) so installing OD 2.6.6 without an app store could be problematic.

The first thing that comes to mind would be wiping out the stock operating system and installing another version of Android (such as Cyanogenmod) or using a N2A Card type of solution. This would get you a newer version of Android that works with more apps.

Might be easier to grab the new $50 Nook as it has more modern Android and the Google Play App Store. Screen resolution isn't great by modern standards, but if the Color/Tablet screen is okay for you the new one should be fine as it's the same resolution.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-21-2016 at 02:24 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not sure what a Nook R is (unless you're talking about the registered trademark R?), but going by the software version it sounds like it's a Nook Color (released 2010) or a Nook Tablet (released 2011). The HD and HD+ models use version 2 software.

The Color and Tab are tougher in that they don't have the Google Play store for apps and run very old versions of Android (2.x). OverDrive version 2.6.6 is the last version to run on that version of Android (which should work fine), but there is also the problem that B&N shut down the Nook App Store in March of this year pretty much abandoning Nook Color and Nook Tablet owners (newer Nook tablet models have the Google Play store).

The first thing that comes to mind would be wiping out the stock operating system and installing another version of Android (such as Cyanogenmod) or using a N2A Card type of solution. This would get you a newer version of Android that works with more apps.
Thanks so much for your reply! I called B&N and found out about them not supporting or "having" any apps anymore. My Nook just has a tiny circle after the word Nook that has an R in it. I didn't know to include it or not. Mine is color, touchscreen, but according to B&N it is not considered an HD.

I think I'll have to figure out how to use the Adobe Digital Edition. Haven't had the chance to research it. What I have now is library2go (https://library2go.overdrive.com/ which works with the Overdrive.

Do you happen to know how the ADE fits in with that mess?? LOL Anyway, if not, I'll go look up ADE and see if I can figure out how it all works together to transfer my books (from library2go) to my Nook. Here are the directions on this page, but they lost me somewhere after getting the ADE downloaded on my laptop

Thank you again for trying to help me, it helped just knowing someone else is "out there" Denise
Old 11-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
abbynormal52
Groupie

This site is confusing, but I thought I'd post it in case someone has used it and had it work out for them. This is where B&N sent me, as well as Library2go (my library support for them). Denise

http://help.overdrive.com/customer/p...ticles/1481624
Old 11-21-2016, 02:55 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay here are some instructions to get ADE and your Nook working. I dug out my old Nook Color and charged it a bit to try these steps so it should work for you.
  1. Download and install ADE
  2. Create an Adobe account (if you don't have one) to authorize ADE
  3. Download your book into ADE
  4. Plug your Nook into the computer via its USB cable and open ADE. You should be prompted to authorize you device, do so. Your device should show up in ADE.
  5. Drag the book from ADE's library screen and drop it onto the entry for your device
  6. Close ADE and properly eject the Nook from the computer
  7. The book should be under Books-->My Stuff-->My Files-->Digital Editions

Here are some instructions with screen shots of ADE 2 which should help...
http://help.overdrive.com/customer/p...ticles/1481071

FYI, the bezel of the Nook Color is a dark gray color while the Nook Tablet's is a light gray/silver color. Otherwise physically they look the same.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-21-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Advert
Old 11-21-2016, 03:02 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Here is an old Youtube video that should help. Some of the steps, such as checking out a book, probably are redundant for you but it's worth a watch...

Old 11-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
abbynormal52
Groupie

Thanks so much. I had to go to the grocery store, then got a migraine while I was shopping, and had to make it home from there, and lie down with an ice-bag. Geesh

Now I'm going to go through your directions and see if I can make it work so I can read tonight

I'll let you know after I follow your steps, plus the video, thanks again, denise
Old 11-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #8
abbynormal52
Groupie

Ok, if I am understanding this right, I don't need the Overdrive APP on my Nook?? I hope not because it is no longer working at all

I'm going to try this step by step on the video next. I have the ADE downloaded on my laptop. Denise
Old 11-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
Ok, if I am understanding this right, I don't need the Overdrive APP on my Nook?? I hope not because it is no longer working at all

I'm going to try this step by step on the video next. I have the ADE downloaded on my laptop. Denise
If you are unable to get the newest Overdive app and the one you have is not working, it could be because Overdrive is changing the software and the versopn of the Overdrive app you have does not understand how to talk to the new Overdrive software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
abbynormal52
Groupie

Well, supposedly B&N refreshed, or reloaded my Overdrive, but it doesn't work. It won't pull up "get books" at all now.

So are you saying I do need the overdrive app on my Nook? This is getting horribly confusing. Now, Overdrive website on my laptop, doesn't have the same link to ADE. So I went to ADE, found I did already have an account with Adobe. I'm just going to push ahead and see if a book will transfer over to my Nook.

Thank you for your help, Denise
Old 11-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
Well, supposedly B&N refreshed, or reloaded my Overdrive, but it doesn't work. It won't pull up "get books" at all now.

So are you saying I do need the overdrive app on my Nook? This is getting horribly confusing. Now, Overdrive website on my laptop, doesn't have the same link to ADE. So I went to ADE, found I did already have an account with Adobe. I'm just going to push ahead and see if a book will transfer over to my Nook.

Thank you for your help, Denise
You don't need the Overdrive app. The directions posted by AnemicOak should work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:05 PM   #12
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need the Overdrive app. The directions posted by AnemicOak should work.
Oh that's good news!! Ok, I will get this goin. I can just delete that dang "broken" app off my Nook. Thanks so much!! denise

PS I'll let you guys know when I'm done
Old 11-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #13
abbynormal52
Groupie

Ok, I made it! It's more difficult without Overdrive App, but it will just take me getting used to searching on my laptop, "borrowing" the book I want from my library, then transferring it via my USB cord.

Then I had to go into "My Stuff" to find "files", "digital editions" and finally, there was my book I had 12 days left on. Hope this all makes sense. I was nearly ready to just go out and buy a newer Nook, or something else, that the Overdrive still works on.

Thanks to you all, I can keep on using this Nook though, until it becomes totally worn out, LOL!! Thanks again everyone Denise
Old 12-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

The Color and Tab are tougher in that they don't have the Google Play store for apps and run very old versions of Android (2.x). OverDrive version 2.6.6 is the last version to run on that version of Android (which should work fine), but there is also the problem that B&N shut down the Nook App Store in March of this year pretty much abandoning Nook Color and Nook Tablet owners (newer Nook tablet models have the Google Play store). As I recall B&N didn't allow sideloading on those devices (well they briefly did on the Tablet, but took it away in an update) so installing OD 2.6.6 without an app store could be problematic.

Might be easier to grab the new $50 Nook as it has more modern Android and the Google Play App Store. Screen resolution isn't great by modern standards, but if the Color/Tablet screen is okay for you the new one should be fine as it's the same resolution.
Question for anyone that might know, is at the end:

I did order the new Nook Tablet 7, I think the money is well worth me trying to root out the older Reader. Yes, by the way, on the R with a circle, just a trademark

I did try working with Adobe Digital Editions, but that was hard, or complicated, I so missed just clicking on my Overdrive icon when opening my Nook. They aren't supporting apps any longer for that Nook, so I did just order the new Nook.

And I do like having Google Play Store available. This Nook still has a lot of life left in it, so I guess I'll keep it as a backup. I thought about giving it to my sister, but she can only afford library books, so then again, she could never figure out ADE.

I hate to lose my great Nook case, really nice leather. I don't think the little plastic holder inside will match the new Nook Tablet. My Nook is exactly 5" x 8" (not the screen, the whole Nook). The new Nook said 7" by 4 something. I wonder if that was just the screen? Does anyone know?

Thanks, Denise
Old 12-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #15
abbynormal52
Groupie

I decided to try my Overdrive again on my Nook lastnight. It worked, but was super slow searching for a book, getting signed in, everything about it was just slow. But I got a book from my library2go.

So I was tired, discouraged, so I just decided to try and go to sleep. Then I decided to try one, more time to see if it would work better. Maybe it was the wifi was just slow, it is at times, not often but sometimes. It worked great that time, and I downloaded another book from library2go.

So now I am not sure what the deal is. I know someone had mentioned "bugs" in the new version of Overdrive, so maybe that's what's been going on, or wifi, or Nook is getting old.

I don't know, I'll just do all my searching on my laptop, download the books from Overdrive on it, and then when I log into my Nook, the only part I'll have to do is download the book on it and read!! I hope hope hope, LOL!!

Thanks all for your input, denise