Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #61
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
And something that is lousy at being plugged into a computer.

Maybe for Android phones MTP is a necessary evil which allows you to use your phone while it is connected to the computer (not clear why that is necessarily necessary) but it sure as hell ain't true for your ereader.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:28 AM   #62
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I would've thought B&N would always have been focused on "easy to use and integrates well with their bookstore".

But the most charitable thing that could traditionally be said about the NST and Glowlight is "lousy software, yeah... but great hardware".

So I'm not sure your analysis holds.
Advert
Old 10-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #63
dnastase
Addict
dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dnastase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NG,NSTG,NST,AuraHD,OnyxT68,Lynx, BoyueT62,NGP,Aura1,Oasis,Mars
From my point of view running Android is a HUGE plus. If rooting is available that opens up the reader to a whole world of possibilities unmatcheable by a reader that runs just a reader app basically.

I love being able to have Amazon Kindle reader app too on my Nook for instance.
Or Calibre Companion, that should be possible now ...
dnastase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:56 AM   #64
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Maybe... but people wanting to root their ereader in order to run unrestricted Android is a very small number compared to the people who just want to connect their ereader to the computer and not have it flake out on them.

I'm not saying it doesn't have its place.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #65
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I am intrigued but cautious about this new Nook device.
  • Am I understanding correctly that Nook content is no longer segregated? Does that mean when you download a Nookbook to the Nook Glow Light Plus, you can connect to your computer via USB and all your books will show up in a directory, easily copied over to your computer?
  • Nook Glow Light Plus does not work with ADE anymore? No more borrowing ebooks from public libraries if you have this device?
  • Does it have a web browser (e.g., for sideloading via Dropbox, etc.)?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2015, 01:17 PM   #66
Amuneta
Amuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toysAmuneta shares his or her toys

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I am intrigued but cautious about this new Nook device.
  • Am I understanding correctly that Nook content is no longer segregated? Does that mean when you download a Nookbook to the Nook Glow Light Plus, you can connect to your computer via USB and all your books will show up in a directory, easily copied over to your computer?
  • Nook Glow Light Plus does not work with ADE anymore? No more borrowing ebooks from public libraries if you have this device?
  • Does it have a web browser (e.g., for sideloading via Dropbox, etc.)?
In answer to you questions you can't take any of the b&n content off plugging it into the computer I can't even see the b&n content listed there. I can't say about ADE since I used Calibre in the past but that seems to be problematic with this model apparently. It does not have a web browser.
Amuneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #67
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

As the new model uses MTP to communicate with the computer, there is no need to partition the userstore merely to prevent people copying their B&N content off the device.

Perhaps that is what changed.

MTP is fundamentally different from USBMS, in that the device has control over which files the PC host sees -- as opposed to being forced to display the entire block device (at which point the PC is free to access whichever files it likes).

B&N may have instructed the Glowlight Plus to only share a "sideloaded content" directory.
This is better than before, when the Nook "protected" B&N books by keeping them on a separate partition. At least now you can use as much storage for sideloaded books as you like.
But it certainly doesn't mean you are going to be allowed to access your own purchased B&N content!

Yeah, B&N sure knows what they are doing.
Make a device that is most useful for people who DON'T buy ebooks from B&N.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-22-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #68
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Wow, this looks absolutely fantastic. Probably going to sell my PW3 and pick this up if the reviews are decent. Really really like waterproofing as a feature but the Kobo H20 was a bit too big for my liking.

For anyone that has a unit already -- how is the backlighting uniformity thus far? Smooth, splotchy?

Guessing we'll hear from Amazon soon about new devices for the holiday season assuming they have anything to respond to this with.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #69
Bokes
Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bokes once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
Wow, this looks absolutely fantastic. Probably going to sell my PW3 and pick this up if the reviews are decent. Really really like waterproofing as a feature but the Kobo H20 was a bit too big for my liking.

For anyone that has a unit already -- how is the backlighting uniformity thus far? Smooth, splotchy?

Guessing we'll hear from Amazon soon about new devices for the holiday season assuming they have anything to respond to this with.
Backlight is about as even as you would expect. Not 100% flush but IMO- close enough. I have yet to see an e-ink reader with a perfect uniformed backlight.
I think it beats the PW3 in all departments except the contrast. Side by side the PW appears to have slightly better blacks. But viewed alone- The screen on the GP is fine for its intent.
Bokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #70
Traciinaz
Enthusiast
Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Paperwhite 4, Nook 7" Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokes View Post
Backlight is about as even as you would expect. Not 100% flush but IMO- close enough. I have yet to see an e-ink reader with a perfect uniformed backlight.
I think it beats the PW3 in all departments except the contrast. Side by side the PW appears to have slightly better blacks. But viewed alone- The screen on the GP is fine for its intent.

I agree. The GP's fonts are not as heavy or black as they are in the PW3.
Traciinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:52 PM   #71
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
B&N may have instructed the Glowlight Plus to only share a "sideloaded content" directory.
This is better than before, when the Nook "protected" B&N books by keeping them on a separate partition. At least now you can use as much storage for sideloaded books as you like.
But it certainly doesn't mean you are going to be allowed to access your own purchased B&N content!
Yeah, this was what I was thinking as I read through this. Can't download the books from the website; now they want to make sure you can't copy them from off the device...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #72
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Thank you @Amuneta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
... Can't download the books from the website; now they want to make sure you can't copy them from off the device...
Yup. Very disappointing that the only way to get copies of your Nookbooks is by using deprecated, no-longer-supported software
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 01:38 AM   #73
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Well I have mine in hand now; my husband picked it up at the store. I have mixed feelings about it.

The back is very nice, but I’ll seldom see it because I have it in a cover.
The front is less impressive. It’s almost a flush screen but the bezel looks and feels like some sort of textured duct tape was slapped on at the last minute. I can understand the function (although I’ve never felt the lack of it on my Aura) but I don’t like either the look or the feel of it.

Unlike the H2O the micro-USB port doesn’t have any sort of cover. It’s easier this way, assuming it’s just as waterproof.

With all of my ereaders I sideload everything, via download/Alf/ Calibre/USB. I blithely assumed (yeah, I know) that this would work the same way.

The user guide says “NOTE: If you connect your NOOK to a Windows PC, the PC might display a dialog box asking if you want to install a driver for a “Nook.” Click Cancel to close this dialog box. You do not need to install a special driver to transfer files to your NOOK.” The first time I connected the Nook to my PC (laptop with Windows 7) there was a pause and then a message block saying that Windows had installed a new driver for my device. It didn’t ask permission and I don’t know if it caused any problems.

Anyway, it did connect, and shows up in file explorer but not with a drive letter (I guess that means it’s MTP?). Calibre knows it’s there but gives me the error message that it can’t communicate. A reset didn’t help.

So I need to find the best way to get my books loaded, preferably with some sort of plugboard like the ones I’ve been using for Kindle and Kobo so I can have series numbers in the titles.

I can use File Explorer to copy epub files directly from my Calibre library onto the Nook (my files section) or I can use Calibre to Send to Disk and then File Explorer to copy the files from there to the Nook, but neither is ideal, and I don’t get series numbers (I might be missing something here though).

I don’t understand exactly (or approximately, probably) how Calibre’s Connect to Folder works. I created a folder and told Calibre to connect to it. I configured it to select epub files and copied one of my other plugboards into save template (that’s probably wrong). I sent the epub format of a book to device (folder) and then used file explorer to copy it from the folder to the Nook. That didn’t work at all; the file did actually have the series title as a name, but the Nook didn’t display the title that way and couldn’t open it at all. I’m fairly sure I did a lot wrong.

A wireless solution would be good except I don’t think the Nook actually has any sort of general web browsing capability. It can connect to the Barnes and Noble store using the "Shop" option but that seems to be it. Although, again, I might be missing something.

In the past I’ve just used the small parts of Calibre that I needed; I think I need to read more about the send to disk and send to folder features.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:44 AM   #74
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It's possible Calibre needs to be updated to recognize the Glowlight Plus, it's on a different firmware than the Glowlight from 2013, as well as a different version of Android apparently.

EDIT- seems that it's not on Calibre's end. If you create some folders like 'My Books' in the root directory of the Glowlight Plus there are reports that it will work. Though because it's running on Android 4.4 it using MTP which is... less than amazing. And may cause some issues with Calibre.

Another reason I love my Kobo H2O, ah Linux, may not have Calibre Companion without 3rd party readers, but at least it's not going to treat an ereader as a media device.

Last edited by MGlitch; 10-23-2015 at 03:02 AM.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:51 AM   #75
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I love my Kobos too. I have the small Aura for carrying around and the H2O mostly for use at home. But I think I should be able to get the Nook working well enough to use as a backup.

I keep searching for something I'll like as well as the small Aura, since it seems to be at a dead end. Voyage, nope. Nook, nope. Still searching. There's something about the proportions of the Aura that just seems perfect to me.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote