Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2014, 04:39 AM   #1
Tan
Connoisseur
Tan began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD Factory Reset Now what?

I have just done a factory reset to get rid of Kobo Desktop on the ereader.
Where do I go from here to get books from Calibre onto it? The screen says connect to your computer and then asks me to download the Kobo Desktop which I am trying to avoid.
On the desktop of the Kobo I would just like to see my Collections/EBooks and nothing else, is this possible or do I have to download Kobo desktop to get the Kobo to function? Please help newbie to this device.
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:59 AM   #2
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
When you open Calibre, can't you see your device there? Assuming of course that it's connected to your computer.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2014, 05:04 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Hi Tan, Kobo Desktop is a sofrware that runs on your computer, not on the ereader.
The ereader comes already set up with its own software. When you first register your ereader after a factory reset (i.e. when you put in your login credentials), you have the chance to set up the reader wirelessly, instead of using kobo desktop. This is needed for instance to update the software on your device, which again has nothing to do with Kobo desktop.

Once you have completed the first setup, to put books from your computer on your book via Calibre, you simply run Calibre, connect your ereader to your computer, wait for Calibre to recognise your device, and then transfer the books.

The above assumes that your ebooks are not protected with DRM. In case they are, then Calibre cannot open them, though you can still use it to transfer books (but you must authorise your ereader first, using Adobe Digital Editions).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

You do need to log into a Kobo account, which can be done wirelessly or via Kobo desktop but apart from that you can completely ignore Kobo Desktop and just use Calibre.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
Tan
Connoisseur
Tan began at the beginning.

Thankyou all. I have it up and running. Now I'm going to try and set up collections/shelves. I will scout the forum for this. Thanks again!
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert