Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
reMarkable - innovative eInk

https://remarkable.com/?utm_medium=s...9d7732996179c1

This is the type of innovation we were seeing 10 years ago and I’ve wondered where such devices went
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:14 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Is this the same Remarkable talked about here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ght=remarkable
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I looked on the first page of news before posting...

This product seems to be a rough first draft (according to a review), but it represents the type of innovations we used to see promises of years ago, but never saw truly delivered.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon

Holy carp...that thread is three years old. I was responding to a facebook add touting the device for sale now.

Has it been on the market for 3 years? Anybody buy one? Their website says 50,000 have been sold. Wonder if that's enough to keep them in business.

It's priced like an iPad. Is that too much? Since I like iPad's, it's definitely too much for me. It seems to be aimed at the "I take a lot of hand written notes, but wish they were computerized" crowd.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
And in case you missed it, Sony's version of a business e-reader:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285374
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And in case you missed it, Sony's version of a business e-reader:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285374
This is the second generation of the Sony ones, I think.

A U.S. seller ...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=

More expensive than the ReMarkable, however (but 13" vs 10"). The Sony has a flexible substrate (like a Forma). I'm guessing the ReMarkable probably does also (it does).

Last edited by rcentros; 06-20-2019 at 03:28 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:27 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Accidentally posted twice. Sorry.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:29 AM   #8
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
I have a reMarkable - ordered it some time before release (about two years ago), and have been using it regularly ever since.

I originally bought it to read and occasionally annotate PDFs, but what I end up using it for most of the time is taking notes. Writing on it is very comfortable, very similar to real paper. It's a notebook that I never lose and never goes out of pages. Reading PDFs is very nice as well - the display is a little smaller than full pages, even with some margins cropped, so small fonts are not 100% easy to read for my ageing eyes.

After about 20 months of use, it's still working great. No signs of wear, no technical problems. I've been using up pen nibs faster than I expected, I've had to order more - the original pack of 10 is gone.

The reMarkable hardware is great; the software is a little behind, though it's improving - there have been several firmware updates. One is still supposed to be coming, they've pulled it twice over security problems. IMHO it's still missing important features, like the ability to copy/paste between pages and between documents (right now you can only C/P within a single page), and the ability to manages pages (copy, add, delete, whatever - this one was coming in the pulled update, so I'm still expecting it).

Overall, it's a device I use a lot in my everyday work, and I recommend it if you have this kind of usage in mind. Oh, and if you can go without a front light; if you want one Onyx has a 10" device with light, but I haven't tried it (ordered one as a present for my wife, but her birthday is still some days away).
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #9
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.Shinra tensei can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
I have bought both a Remarkable and a Sony DPT-PR1 (and DPT-S1 too; I really love professional e-reader). I have to say that in general Sony DPT is, in my opinion, a better device than Remarkable e-reader: wider, with very good touch interface, good software... Nevertheless Remarkable is a very good product: software side is improving with frequent updates, and for writing is really better than Sony DPT-PR1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2019-07-07_15-36-32.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	172294  

Last edited by Shinra tensei; 07-07-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #10
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I might have bought a Sony device, if it was not that closed. Right now I don't have a Windows-equipped PC (or a MacOS device - only Linux), so I could not transfer anything to the Sony line of devices.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
FlyHero
Member Retired
FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
I might have bought a Sony device, if it was not that closed. Right now I don't have a Windows-equipped PC (or a MacOS device - only Linux), so I could not transfer anything to the Sony line of devices.
Philippe what is the reading experience like compared to other devices you have used? It's bigger and a lot more expensive than I like but I am looking for a larger, clear, unlit reader. How is the display color/contrast, font management, touch responsiveness etc?
FlyHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:52 AM   #12
Philippe D.
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hap124 View Post
Philippe what is the reading experience like compared to other devices you have used? It's bigger and a lot more expensive than I like but I am looking for a larger, clear, unlit reader. How is the display color/contrast, font management, touch responsiveness etc?
I have no idea - I never got to try one. From the described specs of the software, it's not a device I would consider using.

But for some of your questions - IIRC, the Sony devices only work with PDF. So there should not be any choice of fonts - the document specifies its fonts.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:45 AM   #13
TheMadBrewer
Connoisseur
TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.TheMadBrewer understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura Limited Edition, Kindle Voyager.
I bought a reMarkable a couple of years ago (a little less). I still like it and use it for taking notes and also for viewing "reference type" PDFs (manuals, technical books, etc) -- primarily because of the larger display.

I had hoped to use it as an eReader (for general books) but that didn't work as well as I hoped. It is large enough that I had trouble reading with it unless sitting up (no stretched out on the couch or in bed). The lack of a lighted display made it hard in some situations as well. The first version of the ePub reader software had issues as well. It would often forget were I was in the book when I came back a day or so later. So I stopped using it as an eReader.

The updates have fixed a bit of that but it is clear that the eReader software is really an add on, not their primary focus. Kindle/Kobo/etc are primarily eReaders so they damn well better do that well.

So view it as a note taker, reference reader and it is fine. It is kind of like reading on my old Palm Pilot -- you could do it but it wasn't great.
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote