Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 09:23 AM   #28516
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Blood of the Fifth Knight by E. M. Powell. Historical fiction in the time of King Henry II
I checked the book out on Amazon and bought the first one, The Fifth Knight, with some of my Digital Credits. It sounds very interesting. Thank you,
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #28517
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I really enjoyed the Sharpe books, myself. I read them all in a fairly short period of time, bar the one which was published later. The "backfill" books were mostly a bit less interesting, but I kind of enjoy learning my history through the prism of fictitious action.
I came to the Sharpe books knowing little about the Penninsular Wars other than the fact of them and that Wellington won them; now I feel conversant with both the major battles and the grand sweep of the action. I also find fiction a good way to approach a historical topic; I can fill in later with a serious, nonfiction work, but it helps to have the framework for a starter. Cornwell gets the history right, too, a critical element. The books aren't perfect, but the characterizations and the dialogue are excellent.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2019, 11:30 PM   #28518
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Now into Randall Munroe's How To - great fun and informative. Also, is there anything Chris Hadfield HASN'T done?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:04 AM   #28519
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Also, is there anything Chris Hadfield HASN'T done?
Apparently not.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #28520
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Finished reading Fall or Dodge Goes to Hell by Neil Stephenson. Enjoyable enough, but long.

Going for something a little shorter: All You Need is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2019, 05:00 AM   #28521
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Just finished:

This Earth of Mankind by Pramoedya Ananta Toer. Written while in prison, it's about the Dutch colonial period in Indonesia. From a historical perspective I found it very informative and interesting. As a novel (in terms of narrative and characterization) it's not particularly special.

Next up are two books by Teju Cole for my local book club.

Last edited by tourneur; 09-19-2019 at 05:02 AM.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #28522
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Blood of the Fifth Knight by E. M. Powell. Historical fiction in the time of King Henry II
Which was also good fun. A period of history I knew only in broad outline. So straight onto the next in the series, The Lord of Ireland.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:56 AM   #28523
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm reading:

What I Saw: Reports from Berlin 1920-1933 by Joseph Roth, a selection of his journalism from the Weimar years. This is not Isherwood's Berlin.

Think Fast, Mr. Moto by J.P. Marquand, the third of the Mr. Moto novels. These period pieces are both fun and more nuanced than you'd expect about the situation in Asia in the run-up to WWII.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #28524
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm reading Rebecca West's This Real Night, the second book in the Aubrey Trilogy.

I'm listening to Bob Nuefeld's excellent Librivox reading of Nathaniel Hawthorne's Twice Told Tales.
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:13 PM   #28525
ZGottlieb
Author: 99c scifi ebook
ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: IPOD
help

When I go the What are you reading page, I get a blank page. I know its the settings, but I'm not sure where I went wrong.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Z.
ZGottlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:18 PM   #28526
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Just finished "reading" Ancillary Mercy (Audio) by Ann Leckie.

I think that the narrator, Adjoa Andoh, is very talented and has such wide range of voices that every character was distinct and consistent throughout the series. She did a superb job for a very good trilogy.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:39 AM   #28527
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Just started on Semicolon: The Past, Present, and Future of a Misunderstood Mark by Cecelia Watson, and it's off to a VERY promising start:
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #28528
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I've been reading Elements of Horror: Earth from Redcape publishing. Short stories themed on the element, with 3 more volumes coming for Air, Fire and Water. The quality of the stories is outstanding in this one. I hope the others are as good! Love a good monster story.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:22 PM   #28529
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next John Flanagan's The Emperor of Nihon-Ja. The tenth in the Ranger's Apprentice series.
This one wasn't my favorite in the series. There seemed to be a lot of conveniences. When something needed to be done there was always someone with the skill and resources available. Everything was just so perfect. One group of people need weeks to arrive at a location and another just a few days under mounds of snow where food is somehow plentiful. Still it was fun to read and explore a new land. Hopefully, the next one will be better. Rated C- [3 stars].

Next TBD
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #28530
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Rereading, (or rather listening to on Audible,) Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear, by Patrick Rothfus. I can't wait for The Doors of Stone to be released.

Patrick Rothfus is a lot like George RR Martin, (in more than just style): The last book in his series was published in 2011. And he's working on a TV series at the same time, so publication will be delayed further.

Arrrggghhh!

Angst is offline   Reply With Quote