Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #1
theQuicker1
theQuicker1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Arrow Linking between two different ebooks

Hi. I am primarily trying to design an ebook for a Kindle Touch e-reader.

I would like to know how to put a link in my book that when clicked opens another book that is on the device (it would have to already be on the device) and take the reader to a specific location.

Here are some searches I have tried so far:
Cross reference linking across books.
Reference a different book with a link.
Placing inside-links in your Kindle book to reference a spot in a different books.
Linking across books on kindle.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!
theQuicker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I am not aware of any way to do this with kindle or epub books.

Even if some particular device were to support it in theory, those links would be unreliable for the files on different devices because the files are stored in different ways (imagine trying to link to a particular file in Calibre - it makes up its own directory and file names). Added to that is the problem of linking to some particular location inside the book from outside the book, I'm not aware of any way to do that reliably either; it would require support from all epub/kindle reading software. So I recommend that you don't even try to do this. If external resources are absolutely essential, direct to a website - this is well defined and portable.

Last edited by gmw; 09-13-2018 at 11:16 PM. Reason: clarification
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you wanted to cross-link two books you'd likely have to follow the example of the Faithlife company and create your own software to read the books on. (Their cross-linking and searches are a thing of beauty and IMO best reason for buying their books despite being locked in)
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The big problem is for the linking to find the other book. There is no reliable way it can.

The only workaround that I can think of is to collect all of the associated books into a single large ebook. Then the linking would be within the same ebook file.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:27 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by theQuicker1 View Post
Hi. I am primarily trying to design an ebook for a Kindle Touch e-reader.

I would like to know how to put a link in my book that when clicked opens another book that is on the device (it would have to already be on the device) and take the reader to a specific location.
Not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
The only workaround that I can think of is to collect all of the associated books into a single large ebook. Then the linking would be within the same ebook file.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
ebook, kindle, linking