Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #16
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Okay, not sure if it was a coincidence or whether the failure (if your hack worked) to send a log affected things. The one I used was the second one you posted. But for over an hour 13 items were pending at 0% (Zero percent) download.

I was able to use the browser but none of those items changed in percentage during that hour. I UNinstalled the log hack and the k3 rebooted and the pending items started downloading?

Again, I don't know if the failure to send a log affected things or not.

I don't know what my k3 and Amazon "talk" about in sending a log or being requested to send a log and whether a failure to "receive" it might hamper other operations?

I may try it again.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #17
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I put it on and updated and went on bought a free book this morning. The book was sent to the Kindle ok via whispernet.

That is about as far as I've had time to play around.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #18
Shbek
Shbek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Awesome, I'm trying it out as well. With it installed, I have successfully downloaded several free books from Amazon over wifi. I'm not sure if it would be different paid versus free.

As for the restarting (and I'm really sorry about the degree I hijacked, it wasn't my intention), my Kindle has indeed crashed a few times, it didn't like being stuffed with audiobooks, music, and manga, oh, and a few books too. I also like to try out new stuff on here and elsewhere, all of which naturally require restarting to install.

I don't frequently restart. I have very few things I would like indexed, which I have backed up. In the event I do restart, before I can disable it again it typically manages to index something. So I have to go and overwrite it with my backup - I can't stand having something else on there. It isn't that big of a deal, but I'd like not having to put in the commands in the first place, I have no use for indexing anything else.

Last edited by Shbek; 02-24-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Shbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #19
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Okay, not sure if it was a coincidence or whether the failure (if your hack worked) to send a log affected things. The one I used was the second one you posted. But for over an hour 13 items were pending at 0% (Zero percent) download.

I was able to use the browser but none of those items changed in percentage during that hour. I UNinstalled the log hack and the k3 rebooted and the pending items started downloading?

Again, I don't know if the failure to send a log affected things or not.

I don't know what my k3 and Amazon "talk" about in sending a log or being requested to send a log and whether a failure to "receive" it might hamper other operations?

I may try it again.
Did you ever install the first hack? If so, that's your problem. I made a mistake in the first one that stops all communication with Amazon.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #20
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I may have installed the first (even though I meant to use the newer one) since there is something odd about the second zip file (it has TWO of each file). But I don't recall that when I installed which means I may have used the first one. Redoing it all now.

Last edited by FF2; 02-24-2011 at 05:51 PM.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #21
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Sometimes the Kindle simply locks up. It's happened to me two or three times in the last couple of years. In those (rare) cases, a restart is the only solution.
The keyword there is rare. It shouldn't be too troublesome to type in two commands on rare occasions.

Last edited by kranu; 03-08-2011 at 02:10 AM.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #22
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
/deleted by author

Last edited by jeromedevine; 03-08-2011 at 10:04 AM.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 AM   #23
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromedevine View Post
English Matherf4cher! Do You Speak it?!
Yes, I do. I just happened to have a typo while typing.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #24
Tarr
Tarr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Wow Yin I almost missed this! thanks a ton for your hard work again. One question though if you'll humor my nubness, does this log clear when it is sent to Amazon or does it drop info as needed to maintain a max size or what? I just want to be sure I don't end up filling the log over the time until it blows up and kills everyone in proximity.
Tarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:21 AM   #25
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarr View Post
Wow Yin I almost missed this! thanks a ton for your hard work again. One question though if you'll humor my nubness, does this log clear when it is sent to Amazon or does it drop info as needed to maintain a max size or what? I just want to be sure I don't end up filling the log over the time until it blows up and kills everyone in proximity.
In theory, it should send the logs to a non-existent URL, so everything will be normal, except amazon will never receive the logs. Does it work? Are there side effects? I don't know. I havent run tests yet. Someone needs to tcpdump overnight.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #26
Tarr

Np, I didn't need a guarantee per se but was curious. I realize know you had already pointed this out in an earlier post so sorry about that. You just need someone to use it overnight and dump a regular log cause I can do that. I haven't done the telnet thing though so I'd have to have my hand held for that stuff but I'll do it if I can either way. Installing it now so I'll dump tomorrow. What do I type again, just dumplogs? I forgot.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #27
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I don't have a Kindle but a pal of mine who does is very concerned about security of the Kindle and the ability of Amazon to look at what you are doing with your Kindle. So what he has done is a waste of the Wifi functions but he side loads all of his books never through wifi which he keep switched off. His firewall his told very specifically which software are allowed to transmit information to the internet and who is not and Amazon is not one of them that are allowed to transmit: simply the web browser and the security software are allowed to transmit. He swears that since his firewall does not permit the Kindle to transmit anything Amazon is getting nothing from him.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #28
Tarr

Sounds like he could use a jailbreak and this hack! I'm not to worried about Amazon doing anything with the logs but to be quite frank it's none of their damned business what I'm reading and where so I'm with him!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #29
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I guess that'd work okay for the WiFi model. My problem with that would be that I have a very hard time keeping my K3 from staying on Wi Fi and not switching to 3G whenever I turn Whispersync on.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #30
Tarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I guess that'd work okay for the WiFi model. My problem with that would be that I have a very hard time keeping my K3 from staying on Wi Fi and not switching to 3G whenever I turn Whispersync on.
I think this would still work for you as the hack changes where it's sent and not disabling the send altogether or what method? Don't take my word on it though.

Edit: Installing now and there is a Kindle3G install so I'm sure it works fine. There is no need to restrict 3g or wifi with this.

Last edited by Tarr; 03-11-2011 at 08:49 AM.