Notices

Old 04-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
Purrceyz
Enthusiast
Purrceyz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 7 tablet
Help hard drive crash, getting non drm books off Kobo

Hi,

I recently had a hard drive crash and had to reinstall Calibre. I lost my Calibre library (it was on the c drive).

Is there any way to recover the books from my Kobo? When I look into my kobo Aura with Windows 10, all I see are empty directories with no epubs.
Purrceyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Are these kobo store bought books, or sideloads?
When you open the kobo, normally, as a reader, do you see your books then ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purrceyz View Post
Hi,

I recently had a hard drive crash and had to reinstall Calibre. I lost my Calibre library (it was on the c drive).

Is there any way to recover the books from my Kobo? When I look into my kobo Aura with Windows 10, all I see are empty directories with no epubs.
If you look at your Aura, inside the .kobo directory, do you see a .kepub directory with a mass of files with alphanumeric names such as "0edb5a67-7b5e-4db7-af69-57ead1d87236"? Those are the ebook files synced to your Aura. If you install the obok plugin, it will let you import those files into calibre with human readable names.

You can also got to your account on Kobo and download the books as epubs from My Account => My Books and click on the ... under Actions. This does need you to do this for each book so recovering any synced books from your Aura would be easier.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:39 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
For sideloaded books, connect the device and start calibre. Then, select the sideloaded books, right-click and select the menu item to add the books to the library. That should add all the DRM sideloaded books to the device. From memory, you can select all the books and it will add those it can, and display an error for the rest.

For books from Kobo, you should be able to use the Obok plugin that is part of the DRM Tools package. That can handle books with and without DRM. Or, use the Kobo desktop application to download the books to the PC and then use Obok. Or download the epub version from you library on the Kobo site.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote