Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
My 2019 Book recommendations

I have been trying to go out of my comfort zone and read books that I would not normally read or think I would like.

If you like disturbing books I really enjoyed Exquisite Corpse By Poppie Z Brite ( not sure if I have the Author name correct) It is basically about two Gay serial killers that find each other and team up. The book is rather graphic in the murders.

Darkness at the Edge of Town by Brian Keene. The explanation of the phenomenon was rather weak but overall an enjoyable book. Basically all life on earth is totally gone except for this one town surrounded by total darkness. Everyone that leaves town is never heard from again but you hear their screams after they cross over the town border and into the darkness.

https://www.amazon.com/Exquisite-Cor...4954129&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Edge...4953915&sr=8-1
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I had waited for long to read Darkness at the Edge of Town. I'm disappointed to know that the supernatural aspect has a weak explanation. But I still want to try it.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #3
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I had waited for long to read Darkness at the Edge of Town. I'm disappointed to know that the supernatural aspect has a weak explanation. But I still want to try it.

It was weak but still excellent. I hope the author rewrites that aspect. If he could give us a better background story it would make a fantastic movie
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:37 PM   #4
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
It was weak but still excellent. I hope the author rewrites that aspect. If he could give us a better background story it would make a fantastic movie
I'm reading it now. Great stuff.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I have been trying to go out of my comfort zone and read books that I would not normally read or think I would like.

If you like disturbing books I really enjoyed Exquisite Corpse By Poppie Z Brite ( not sure if I have the Author name correct) It is basically about two Gay serial killers that find each other and team up. The book is rather graphic in the murders.

Darkness at the Edge of Town by Brian Keene. The explanation of the phenomenon was rather weak but overall an enjoyable book. Basically all life on earth is totally gone except for this one town surrounded by total darkness. Everyone that leaves town is never heard from again but you hear their screams after they cross over the town border and into the darkness.

https://www.amazon.com/Exquisite-Cor...4954129&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Edge...4953915&sr=8-1
Brian Keene is a good author, like many - hit or miss. I haven't read that particular one by him yet but hope to read more of his work soon.

Did you ever read the anthology Revelations, edited by Douglas E. Winter? I am picky with anthologies but highly recommend that one. Each story set by different century - 1900 to 1990. Poppy has a short story in it that was pretty good. The stories focus on apocalypse and end of the world, but not in the way you'd traditionally think for each one. Supernatural in there of course, but you also deal with the real past tragedy of the Spanish Influenza, and another particularly disturbing short right before Hitler's rise (Aryans and Absinthe by Paul F. Wilson).

What's weird is that I have a lot of admiration for Clive Barker's writing, and he opens AND closes the book with a story, but that was one of my least favorite parts of the book and a struggle. If you ever do read the book, don't let that put you off when you start it.

With Poppy's - Triads - Poppy Z Brite and Christa Faust, it was surreal a bit, which isn't a surprise with that writer. A cultural turned physical war in China told through two "owned" men who were feminized and in a homosexual relationship, with the story focusing heavily on their strong bond.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 06-09-2020 at 11:46 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote