Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #61
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Baen Books have always been DRM free. Jim Baen was opposed to DRM.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:48 PM   #62
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I believe that TOR and Baen books purchased direct from the publishers web sites are also DRM free
So far any Tor or Baen books that I've purchased at Baen, Tor, Amazon or Kobo have been DRM free. There is a disclaimer in the book information to the effect that this book is being sold without DRM by request of the publisher.

BTW, if anyone here does not read the Grantville Gazette, volume 88 has an article from Eric Flint celebrating the 20th anniversary of the publication of 1632 in February, 2000.

One quote from the article:

And—I love this fact because I sneer at so-called “electronic piracy”—keep in mind that 1632 has been available electronically FOR FREE for about the last eighteen years and… still just keeps selling and selling. Every year I get royalty payments for the book somewhere between $4,000 and $5,000.

As he says in the article, most of the 1632 books have a long, fat tail.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:35 PM   #63
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The same as the current Python2 branch, the standalone DeDRM tools are gone and won't be coming back.

If I read some comments correctly, part of the reason for dropping the standalone DeDRM removal tools for Windows and Mac were due to issues where most would-be users showed an total inability to read and follow instructions in the various ReadMe files.
The last standalone scripts that worked on Windows was 6.5.x anyway. Iirc, adding KFX support also added dependencies that were pretty much impossible to get working on Windows.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:14 AM   #64
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
So far any Tor or Baen books that I've purchased at Baen, Tor, Amazon or Kobo have been DRM free. There is a disclaimer in the book information to the effect that this book is being sold without DRM by request of the publisher.
The publisher's request that a book be sold DRM-free is only partially honored by Amazon. If you own an e-ink Kindle device or a Fire tablet then Amazon allows you to download a copy of most books from their website. Those will be DRM-free if the publisher has requested that option from Amazon.

If you do not own a Kindle or Fire device then obtaining a DRM-free copy can be difficult. Non-Kindle owners do not have the download option on Amazon's website. And for most books, DRM protected KFX format is used by Amazon for over the air delivery to apps and devices. That applies even to books published by Tor and Baen.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
Whatever, all I know is that I don't use ADE, I simple have my Sony For PC (which is the 2.0.1 version) download the book, then I tell Calibre to go get the book from Sony and Calibre has never failed to disinfect it. For epubs I shop at Kobo.
ADE is using a version of RMSDK. The Sony software is also using a version of RMSDK. So really, you are basically using ADE like it or not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
YES! Smashwords maintains a library of your purchases and free downloads you have made and once a item is in your library it can be downloaded in all formats the book is offered in by Smashwords. Formats available do vary by author. No DRM on any Smashwords files so they can be installed on multiple readers and devices. I own Kindle, Kobo, Nook, Sony and Ectaco readers so this is a consideration, particularly as the Sony and Ectaco readers have no remaining support and the Ectaco reader has USB only for installing new books. Sony WiFi is pretty useless too without any support source.

I believe that TOR and Baen books purchased direct from the publishers web sites are also DRM free as are books downloadable from this forum and books from Gutenberg and other public domain book sources.
Star Trek eBooks from Simon & Schuster are also DRM free.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:39 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The publisher's request that a book be sold DRM-free is only partially honored by Amazon. If you own an e-ink Kindle device or a Fire tablet then Amazon allows you to download a copy of most books from their website. Those will be DRM-free if the publisher has requested that option from Amazon.

If you do not own a Kindle or Fire device then obtaining a DRM-free copy can be difficult. Non-Kindle owners do not have the download option on Amazon's website. And for most books, DRM protected KFX format is used by Amazon for over the air delivery to apps and devices. That applies even to books published by Tor and Baen.
I'm surprised the publishers that sell DRM free are not all over Amazon for their KFX lies.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #68
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
If you want to be on Amazon, you have to follow their rules. They do have maybe 90+ of ebook market.
You'd need deep pockets to take them to court and often the people with deep pockets either think DRM stops piracy (it can't, ever) or want the "control of ordinary customers" that DRM does provide.
All we can do is advise people to download to PC for USB transfer to designated Kindle. Amazon don't call it sideloading.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The publisher's request that a book be sold DRM-free is only partially honored by Amazon.

I use an old version of Kindle for PC that downloads .azw instead of KFX. Are those files DRM-free? (I've never checked, because even when I do purchase what should be a DRM-free book from Amazon, I import it to Calibre and convert to ePub before I ever open the file. So even if it had DRM, the tools work their magic before I'm involved.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #70
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No, anything other than KFX the DRM is decided by the publisher.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #71
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
No, anything other than KFX the DRM is decided by the publisher.
Thanks. That's what I assumed. But you know what they say about assuming. It makes an ass out of you and Ming. And I've heard he's merciless.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 03-09-2020 at 11:17 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote