Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil-0.9.13 Released

Sigil-0.9.13

NOTICE: If after installing Sigil v0.9.13 (or higher), Sigil is crashing, won't run correctly, or won't start at all, check out this wiki notice before filing a report or asking for assistance.

For the impatient, the installer files (and source) can be found as assets at the bottom of the Github Release page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Sigil release is primarily to address bugs introduced by the upgrade to Qt5.11.2 and Python 3.7 in the previous releases and to revert the conversion of Sigil ini files to the utf-8 character encoding.

Bug Fixes
  • Revert change of INI encoding to utf-8 as QSettings very broken under utf-8 (commit 5484463)
  • Ensure all url attributes in shape-outside properties in CSS stylesheets get updated (commit de7b09f)
  • Workaround for lost cursor in qlineedit Qt bug (issue #398) (commit a8acab7)
  • Workaround missing File New, Open, Quit menus in Mac menubar if windows closed (commit 660a8aa)
  • Remove Icon from Tab for macOS only to workaround Qt bug (commit 5c91924)
  • Plug some memory leaks (commits: 85f78d7, cb9b833, 614d601, bf2f2f4, ebfb613, 4qa8f33)
  • Backport Qt 5.12alpha fix to prevent heap corruption due to qwidget next focus pointers (commit f5c7284)
  • Plug macOS memory leaks when closing a main window (commit fbf9015)
  • Put back quote in tag name bug fix lost in recent changes (commit ebd8c7c)
  • Disable Netscape Plugins being used in BookView and Preview Window (commit 79314ea)
  • Use custom version of qtwebkit with Qt 5.5 memory leak fix added back and no load plugins if disabled (see commits 94a28d7, 9f7ebba, and 4b968a9)

New Features
  • Add filename to tab tooltip (commit 27f8db7)
  • Clear memory caches when Preview changes to keep memory footprint smaller (commit 87b9247)
  • Update to MathJax 2.75, adds support for mathml mlongdiv, mstack, mcarries (commit 568aba5)
  • Reduce memory footprint by letting worker threads expire (commit c1ee7ea)
  • Reduce memory footprint by properly setting web page caches (commit 9f07cbe)

Be aware that Sigil-0.9.13 still enforces the need for epub3 to have and support an NCX so that it generates as backward a compatible epub as possible. This may be relaxed in future releases.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please check the Sigil Wiki for important Sigil support links, additional resource downloads, and platform-specific trouble-shooting tips/requirements.

Sigil-0.9.13 release page and downloads.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the time being, please ensure that any bugs reported can be reproduced after a clean install of Sigil 0.9.13. "Clean" meaning the old version uninstalled and existing preferences removed (move them somewhere safe, for heaven's sake!) before installing 0.9.13.

We want to ensure that we're not dealing with issues related to corruption in INI files.

If you think you have a new bug, just know that we're going to ask you to verify that you've been able to reproduce the issue with a fresh install and clean preferences. Thanks.

If some Windows users (especially Windows 10 users) are still experiencing severe performance issues (even with a clean install), We've got some things to try. Just hold tight for a bit as I might not be available much this weekend. The first thing I would tell you to do is to uninstall the 64-bit version of 0.9.13 and see if the 32-bit version offers any relief.

Needless to say: once you've installed 0.9.13, DO NOT go back to versions 0.9.11/12 for any reason. If yoh must roll back, roll back to 0.9.10 or earlier.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-21-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Advert
Old 03-21-2019, 01:39 AM   #3
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Just a note that I discovered (just now actually), that the new implementation of QtWebKit that Sigil 0.9.13 is using supports CSS grid layouts (albeit only with the -webkit- prefix).

I've no idea how many epub rendering engines will support them, but ....

EDIT: attaching a bit of a demo for those who may be unfamiliar. Note that the lines for the grid stuff are doubled (with and without the -webkit- prefix) to provide a suitable fallback.
Attached Files
File Type: epub grid-layout.epub (2.9 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-21-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Just a note that I discovered (just now actually), that the new implementation of QtWebKit that Sigil 0.9.13 is using supports CSS grid layouts (albeit only with the -webkit- prefix).

I've no idea how many epub rendering engines will support them, but ....

EDIT: attaching a bit of a demo for those who may be unfamiliar. Note that the lines for the grid stuff are doubled (with and without the -webkit- prefix) to provide a suitable fallback.
PocketBook for Android practically supports all css3 properties. Here is how it looks in my smarphone:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2019-03-21-14-05-44[1].png
Views:	260
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	170302

And this how it looks in Sigil:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.png
Views:	269
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	170304

It seems that Sigil is a bit confused

Of course, grids allow practically infinity possibilities of layout.

And so far, Sigil is managing the memory perfectly Very good work! Congratulations!
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2019, 01:46 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
It seems that Sigil is a bit confused
Or I am! I'd never even heard of CSS grids before this morning.

That's all handled by QtWebKit, by the way. It do what it do, and we can't change it (except by tweaking the css, of course).

EDIT: looks like WebKit isn't assuming "fr" (fill row? apparently it's a new "Fractional Unit"--1 part of the available space. Makes sense) with the "auto" column property like PocketPocket must be. A grid-template-columns entry of: -webkit-grid-template-columns: repeat(4, 1fr); gives me very similar to what you see in PocketBook.

Quote:
And so far, Sigil is managing the memory perfectly Very good work! Congratulations!
Glad to hear it!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-21-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Or I am! I'd never even heard of CSS grids before this morning.

That's all handled by QtWebKit, by the way. It do what it do, and we can't change it (except by tweaking the css, of course).

EDIT: looks like WebKit isn't assuming "fr" (fill row?) with the "auto" column property like PocketPocket must be. A grid-template-columns entry of: -webkit-grid-template-columns: repeat(4, 1fr); gives me very similar to what you see in PocketBook.
It seems that Sigil can't handle the property "-webkit-grid-template-columns: auto auto auto auto;". I had to set the width of columns by "-webkit-grid-template-columns: 25% 25% 25% 25%;" and after that worked perfectly. It's not a major problem because in most of cases we need to use different widths for columns. And with grids one can do anything. In epub3 we can use "display: inline-grid" and the layouts are only limited by imagination Chapter titles, blockquotes, divs, etc., can have the design you want. We only need the devices to support that. It would be good to know if those who have a Kobo can open and display without issues the epub you uploaded. If so, that would be a huge step to implement of once the epub3 protocol.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It seems that Sigil can't handle the property "-webkit-grid-template-columns: auto auto auto auto;". I had to set the width of columns by "-webkit-grid-template-columns: 25% 25% 25% 25%;" and after that worked perfectly.
I'm getting identical results (in epub3) with:

Code:
-webkit-grid-template-columns:  repeat(4, 1fr);
But then I'm clueless as to whether any of that is allowable by EPUB spec.

Quote:
It would be good to know if those who have a Kobo can open and display without issues the epub you uploaded. If so, that would be a huge step to implement of once the epub3 protocol.
Feel free to spread it around so the right people see it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-21-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I'm still experiencing major slowdowns and memory usage on Windows 8.1 after a clean install of Sigil 0.9.13. I uninstalled Sigil 0.9.12 and deleted all .ini files. I've tried both the 64-bit and 32-bit version, with the same result. Sorry.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I'm still experiencing major slowdowns and memory usage on Windows 8.1 after a clean install of Sigil 0.9.13. I uninstalled Sigil 0.9.12 and deleted all .ini files. I've tried both the 64-bit and 32-bit version, with the same result. Sorry.
There's a few things we can try. I jumped right past Win8(.1), so you may have to bear with me and help me translate things in terms of Win7 (or 10).

1) Are there any Compatibility Assistant properties associated with sigil.exe. On Windows 10, the Assistant can run after any kind of issue and will often make incorrect assumptions, and these settings can be easily applied unintentionally. These settings will survive an uninstall/reinstall to the same location. Right-click on sigil.exe, select Properties from the context menu and look for a Compatibility tab. Remove any compatibility settings if there are any, and ensure that Windows isn't trying to run Sigil as if it were being run on an older OS.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #11
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just checked. Sigil is not running in Compatibility mode.

Quote:
There's a few things we can try. I jumped right past Win8(.1), so you may have to bear with me and help me translate things in terms of Win7 (or 10).

1) Are there any Compatibility Assistant properties associated with sigil.exe. On Windows 10, the Assistant can run after any kind of issue and will often make incorrect assumptions, and these settings can be easily applied unintentionally. These settings will survive an uninstall/reinstall to the same location. Right-click on sigil.exe, select Properties from the context menu and look for a Compatibility tab. Remove any compatibility settings if there are any, and ensure that Windows isn't trying to run Sigil as if it were being run on an older OS.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:25 AM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
And this happens with both the 32bit version AND the 64bit version?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Can you exclude Sigil's program directory and the %localappdata%\sigil-ebook folder from all anti-virus, anti-malware scanners?
Old 03-22-2019, 02:01 PM   #14
icallaci
Guru

Yes, I'll give that a try later today when I get back home.

Quote:
Can you exclude Sigil's program directory and the %localappdata%\sigil-ebook folder from all anti-virus, anti-malware scanners?
Old 03-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #15
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
And this happens with both the 32bit version AND the 64bit version?
Yes, both 32-bit and 64-bit show the same behavior.