Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-23-2019, 07:07 AM   #121
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You might be interested in the discussion of Whose Body? which was the last selection of the old Mobile Read Book Club, exactly a year ago in January 2018. We discussed antisemitism at length.
Thanks Issybird. I've bookmarked it and will have a look when I've finished the book, to avoid spoilers
Old 02-10-2019, 02:15 AM   #122
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I just finished The Grand Tour by Patricia Collins Wrede and Caroline Stevermer. It's the second of the Cecelia and Kate series (here's a link to the first book of the series in case you're interested). These are YA historical romance novels and quite good fun. The point of this post is that this second book, The Grand Tour, set around 1817, refers to the League of the Pimpernel as still existing, saying that "Once the Terror was over, the members were able to rest in safety. Yet the need to defend the innocent never ends. There will always be work for those of us who wish to use our wits against the enemy."

Having recently read The Scarlet Pimpernel just added to the amusement of finding the League still around in this slightly magical alternative history.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #123
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Having recently read The Scarlet Pimpernel just added to the amusement of finding the League still around in this slightly magical alternative history.
I'm taking the references to The Scarlet Pimpernel in our current read, A Delicate Balance, to be an explicit shout-out to the NLBC!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:13 AM   #124
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Coincidences like these make me wonder how often I miss stuff in other books I'm reading ... probably best not knowing.

Last edited by gmw; 02-11-2019 at 06:59 AM. Reason: The case of the missing "ing"
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote