Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-30-2019, 02:26 PM   #706
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Of course it works fine in my setups... I am still looking for the issue though.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #707
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Toxaris - I am convinced it's something to do with graphics.

I doubt it has anything to do with the addin itself, but with how the addin interacts with Word. The addin hasn't been updated since September 2018, but I have updated Windows and Word many times since then, including major updates - Windows 1803 to 1809, and Word 2016 to Word 365.

I'm attaching a snapshot of Speccy's graphics section, it hasn't changed since July 2017. I guess I could try disabling the NVIDIA adapter and put the monitor on the Intel card.

I hate these sort of problems.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	171196  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #708
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps it is a .Net issue combined with a graphics driver. So far tried it with VirtualBox, Intel graphics card and an nvidea card. This weekend I will test it with an AMD card as well.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #709
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Perhaps it is a .Net issue combined with a graphics driver. So far tried it with VirtualBox, Intel graphics card and an nvidea card. This weekend I will test it with an AMD card as well.
In the following screen shot you will see Word is using a lot of CPU and its Power usage is Very High - but it's waiting for me to correct a mismatched quote (") pair - which seems odd to me - it should not take that much grunt to wait for user interaction

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	171217

Which is borne out by the S&R tool, I do not see anything like those values in task manager when this dialogue pops up

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	171219

Dialogue Check & Search and Replace appear to be very similar processes.

My gut feeling is that the 'inexplicable' high resource usage by DC has been ever thus. And one or more changes in recent updates to Windows and/or Word have exacerbated it - i.e. driven it over a cliff.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-01-2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: add last para
Old 05-03-2019, 02:02 AM   #710
Toxaris
Wizard

I can actually explain that usage. It has to do with how the breakout is handled. The procedure comes into a loop and checks if the 'return' button is pressed. The loop is causing the usage, as it needs to do something. In fact, if you breakout in the S&R, you should see the same, as the same code is used for that.
Advert
Old 05-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #711
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

In S&R I only see high CPU and Power usage numbers when I use the "Pause and make small adjustments' button, they fall back to low levels when I hit the "Back to the Procedure button" and it goes back to searching.

In Dialogue Check I see those high usages throughout the entire process, when its scrolling (down and up) searching for mismatches, when it finds a mismatch, when I'm correcting the mismatches, right through to End of process popup. That would seem to imply its in the -- The procedure comes into a loop and checks if the 'return' button is pressed -- state all the time.

I received a new version of Office 365 this morning - Version 1904 (Build 11601.20144). I have run a couple of smaller documents through DC that gave me problems a few days ago - guess what they ran through successfully. I'll run the large document that was giving me DC problems before that over the weekend.

BR
Old 05-03-2019, 11:08 AM   #712
Toxaris
Wizard

The reason is why you see the high usage in that case (the scrolling) is also explainable. It is not because of that loop though. When a mark is found, it will look for the next one. It does that by moving character for character until there is a hit. That causes the high usage of Word.

I am really annoyed by the Word 365 lately. They change stuff in the S&R on a regular base, wrecking havoc. Not for 'normal' usage, but for these kind of things it does. I did make some changes to make it more robust and less dependable on the Word functions though.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #713
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
The reason is why you see the high usage in that case (the scrolling) is also explainable. It is not because of that loop though. When a mark is found, it will look for the next one. It does that by moving character for character until there is a hit. That causes the high usage of Word.
Devil's advocate questions

IMO the user doesn't need to see the scrolling. So, can the looking be done 'invisibly'? If I take focus away from Word while DC is scrolling I've had it crash - horribly.

Rather than looking at every character, could you get Word to find the next 'mark' -- up or down as case may be?

BR
Old 05-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #714
Toxaris
Wizard

If I could, I would. I already turned off screen updating (yes, this is with disabled screen updating...). Positioning in Word is tricky and can change. So if I looked for the first mark, remember the position and then the next mark, there is no guarantee the first position is still correct...
Old 05-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #715
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Strange, strange! Now that I'm working on another book, on a sudden, the Check Dialogue works again! The appearance is different than before: as I remember, there had been a box in the popup where one could deny to do any changes. Now, there is only the "Back to the Procedure" button, and to continue, I have to interfere in the text, at least by removing the highlight. Only then I can activate the CD to continue.

However, I don't know what you did, but I'm really glad!
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #716
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Devil's advocate questions

IMO the user doesn't need to see the scrolling. So, can the looking be done 'invisibly'? If I take focus away from Word while DC is scrolling I've had it crash - horribly.

Rather than looking at every character, could you get Word to find the next 'mark' -- up or down as case may be?

BR
Hey, Red?

You remember how I could NEVER get ePUBTools to "stay" in my Word install? Finally--and don't ask me why--but FINALLY, yes, it's installed and it's stuck. Insert Happy Dance here. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:17 AM   #717
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hey, Red?

You remember how I could NEVER get ePUBTools to "stay" in my Word install? Finally--and don't ask me why--but FINALLY, yes, it's installed and it's stuck. Insert Happy Dance here. :-)

Hitch
Its the changes MS make to Windows or more likely Word.

I had a horror stretch with Dialogue Checking for a while, Word would wedge half way though and other programs (Firefox, Chrome, Sigil, Audacity, Shotcut... ) would just die while it was doing its thing - always when it was searching upwards - and it Besodded Windows once or twice.

Seems to have settled down over the last few weeks - tree hug

BR
Old 07-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #718
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Its the changes MS make to Windows or more likely Word.

I had a horror stretch with Dialogue Checking for a while, Word would wedge half way though and other programs (Firefox, Chrome, Sigil, Audacity, Shotcut... ) would just die while it was doing its thing - always when it was searching upwards - and it Besodded Windows once or twice.
Yep, similar symptoms, and only seem to occur on the search up too, crashing the entire video driver. Happened with Firefox+Chrome open (usually while having streaming videos playing). Afterwards, the Chrome window would then be a pure black box.

Also had Dialogue Check just decide to stop in the middle of checking... and nothing I could do would get it back besides restarting Word and trying again.

Both only started relatively recently (past year?).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 07-20-2019 at 02:44 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #719
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Is there anything equivalent to this that's a Sigil plugin?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #720
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Is there anything equivalent to this that's a Sigil plugin?
Nope, not even near. Sigil is not a word processor. Some functionality could be build into Sigil, but not all. Different use-case.