Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-19-2019, 06:05 PM   #691
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
No, there is no popup at all, and therefore no option of jumping to any option. Whether I add a quotation, remove it or do anything, doesn't matter.
So it looks like the problem is not related to the quotation at the top of the poem.

@Toxaris - Shortly after you added the Mark Words feature I recall getting a problem if I had 'colour marked' words in the text when I started Dialogue Check.

I can't recall all the symptoms: the <> replacements for single quotes weren't removed, and the View wasn't returned to Print Layout. Rather than trying to fix manually, I restored the previous day's version of the DOCX from nightly backup.

I did not do any tests to confirm the 'colour marks' were the source of the problem - but when I ran DC on the restored text after clearing the 'colour marks' I didn't have the problem. It has only happened once, because I now clear any residual 'colour marks' before I run Dialogue Check, I have a macro to do it, and it's in my copy edit checklist. I use DC towards the end of my copy edit workflow, by then any residual 'colour marks' should have long gone.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 03:37 AM   #692
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The colors don't have any impact. In fact, colors are also used to indicate page changes in the original document (if you use the post-OCR routine). The only thing that might cause a popup not to appear, is if the routine is aborted due to an error or exception.

@Leonatus, could you sent me the document that gives this issue? The log will probably not help in this case, as in this version it is still very limited. Could you also try another document?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2019, 08:17 AM   #693
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
PM has been sent! Sorry for the delay!
Trial with other documents had no different result. Perhaps should I mention, that Word seems to have a problem with the add-in, for it is mostly deactivated when I start Word.

Last edited by Leonatus; 04-22-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #694
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
PM has been sent! Sorry for the delay!
Trial with other documents had no different result. Perhaps should I mention, that Word seems to have a problem with the add-in, for it is mostly deactivated when I start Word.
Welcome to the club. It's ALWAYS deactivated for me. Drives me insane. I think that BetterRed figured out a way to fix that, though? Somewhere on this thread? Red, you out there?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #695
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For information only: I created an epub nevertheless and, as a workaround for the problem with the Check Dialogue feature, I found that for finding superfluous closing double angle quotes or opening quotes with no corresponding closing quotes this regex would generally work:
Code:
«[^»]*[«]
Advert
Old 04-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #696
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Welcome to the club. It's ALWAYS deactivated for me. Drives me insane. I think that BetterRed figured out a way to fix that, though? Somewhere on this thread? Red, you out there?

Hitch
I changed quite a lot in the new version (only import epub left to do and a lot of testing) that might also help in this regards. It should be more robust in many ways.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM   #697
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
For information only: I created an epub nevertheless and, as a workaround for the problem with the Check Dialogue feature, I found that for finding superfluous closing double angle quotes or opening quotes with no corresponding closing quotes this regex would generally work:
Code:
«[^»]*[«]
If the quotes you are using are double angles, that might work, but only for those. I will run your file through the debugger tonight.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #698
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
See post 663 and following dozen or so posts.

What I discovered is that for me at least, ePUBTools disappears less often (muchly) with Office 365, and can be reinstated simply by restarting Word. I am uncertain if this is also true of vanilla Word 2016 as I only used it for a short while before moving to Office 365 - theoretically it should.

Prior to switching to Office 365, the disappearance of ePUBTools was always intermittent for me. Typically it would stick around for a few days/weeks and then for no apparent reason disappear - it was not updates to Word. This was true on Word 2007 and 2010 (I skipped 2013), and it always necessitated uninstall/reinstall of the addin, poking around in Options->Add-ins was a waste of time. Uninstall/reinstall left the settings in place which made it relatively painless.

I use a 'tweak' that Toxaris added at my request, the environment variable setting TOX_EPUBTOOLS_MONITORING=0 seems to make a difference to the add-in going AWOL - but I can't explain why that should be.

I use three other 3rd party COM add-ins, one of which has disappeared very, very occasionally (maybe 3 times in a decade), and restarting Word has always reinstated it; I can't recall the other two ever disappearing.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-22-2019 at 07:52 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-23-2019, 03:03 PM   #699
Toxaris
Wizard

FYI, the monitoring part is completely gone in the new version. There is no need for it anymore, so I took it out.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #700
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I seem to have run up against the same issue recently reported by Leonatus. Dialogue Checker stops in upwards pass with keyboard focus in text but no apparent error and more importantly no dialogue box, with a "Return to procedure" button.

It is a 100,000 word document with a lot of dialogue. I tried cutting it in two - ran into the same problem on both halves

Win10 1809 and Word 365

BR
Old 04-26-2019, 02:22 AM   #701
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I did two things:
  1. looked to see if there were any Office updates, which there were so I'm now on Word Version 1903 (Build 11425.20244)
  2. checked my DC settings to make sure I hadn't inadvertently butchered them when I looked at them last week, which I hadn't. But I noticed the additional delimiter options -- [] () {}<> -- were checked, which wasn't necessary in the context of the book I was editing, so i unchecked them. But if you look at what I posted in 684 you'll see they were checked then. My guess is that they've always been checked.
I ran DC again - same result. But something else happened too - Firefox terminated, and when I started it, it did a 'post-crash restart' i.e. it restored the tabs I had open. That happened on the first DC run, reported in previous post. But I didn't connect the dots because I didn't notice Firefox had crashed until after I had updated Office and made the changes to DC settings. My initial reaction was "that Office Update took out Firefox".

So, after restarting firefox I reopened the DOCX and ran DC again - guess what, it 'wedged' again, and Firefox crashed again. So, I left Firefox in its crashed state, reopened the DOCX and ran DC again - guess what, it ran through to the end, including a popup for a multi para quoted speech.

I'm about to try it again but I'll close Firefox first.

BR
Old 04-26-2019, 03:47 AM   #702
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Darn - plot thickens, I suspect its graphics card/driver related - this time instead of killing Firefox the Dialogue Checker shut down my display and I had to reinstall video drivers.

Also discovered I can't run Office 365 in Windows Safe Mode, even with network enabled. Have to use something else it seems.

@Toxaris - did you come to any conclusion on Leonatus' problem, I think he worked around the issue with S&R.

I'm off to run DC on some DOCXs on which I have already run it before OK.

BR
Old 04-26-2019, 05:38 AM   #703
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

fWell size has something to do with it. I did a couple of things, turned of everything to do with proofing, removed a couple of Onenote related addins I don't use - one of which was Italian that I assume came with an Italian dictionary.

The 100,000 word document with a lot of dialogue eventually took 13 minutes to finish - there was only one error, whereas a 50,000 word document of with lots of dialogue took 2 minutes - i.e. six times longer to process twice as much data. The backward scans seem get really slow on longer documents.

I suspect the instance of DC problems I blamed on 'left behind' colour Marks was an instance of the same problem, and nothing to do with colour marks. I don't want to spend any more time on this because I know there's a new version on the way - unless of course if Toxaris wants me to do any specific tests.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-26-2019 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #704
Leonatus
Wizard

I don't use Firefox, but MS Edge, and, as far as I noticed, there are no crashes because of running "Check dialogue".
Win 10 32 bit, Office 2013 and - on my other computer - 2016.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #705
Toxaris
Wizard

That is strange behavior. I don't make call to any other program at all. Also, this particular routine does not use much memory, as it is heavy depending on the S&R function of Word. It makes sense that larger documents take more time, as there is more text to search through.

I got all the information from Leonatus and will run the debugger tomorrow with his settings. Now, that will be on Win7 with Word 2007. If it works there, I will also run it on Win10 with Office 365.