Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #46
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Initial tests show that the reboot while reading an SD card based book bug has been fixed.

The annotation selection cursor bugs are still there.
On my Touch, upgraded last night to 2.1.5, I got a reboot upon opening a sideloaded epub on my microSD card. Very annoying.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #47
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK View Post
Kobo is checking to make sure each device gets the appropriate upgrade package when needed. If the user (you) can't wait and goes willy-nilly then its the user's responsibility for whatever damage that causes.
Sorry, but if you guys aren't even doing the very basic checks involved in determining that the firmware is for the right device. This is a design defect and probably a manufacturing defect as well.

You are operating in an international arena, the consumer protection laws are different in every country. I'm sure that at least one of these countries will find that the design of the firmware update management is a defect. And imagine the PR disaster if your devices are found to have a defective design. People (and by this I mean the press) doesn't really distinguish between firmware and hardware.

Nothing a user does on the user accessible side of the Kobo should result in a broken device. Needing-to-be factory reset is barely acceptable, but broken is completely unacceptable.

If someone goes playing around on the internal side of the device, then they are on their own.

There was also no warning from Kobo that this behaviour would lead to a broken device. There is a big difference between 'incompatible' and 'broken'.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #48
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
On my Touch, upgraded last night to 2.1.5, I got a reboot upon opening a sideloaded epub on my microSD card. Very annoying.
Oh... that's a pain.
I was reading ebooks last night for a couple of hours and no reboots.
Used it for about 30 mins this morning otw to work as well with no probs. *crosses fingers*

Where did you buy ur KT?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #49
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
@ mdclements and MDK

What is confusing is that some of us have an update 2.1.5 for the Glo (like SeigneurAo from France, "France, my Kobo Glo updated to 2.1.5.") and other like me, for the Kobo Touch.

Is it possible to have accurate information on this subject?

By the way, the new update is working well on my Kobo Touch.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #50
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
A question, if the update file is for Touch only, why name it kobo-update-2.1.5.zip and not something sensible like kobo-touch-update-2.1.5.zip ??
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #51
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Probably for the simple reason we the end-users are not meant to be aware of the file location ..
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #52
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
I manually installed 2.1.4 on my Touch a few days ago and I synced with Kobo Desktop today and got 2.1.5 automatically.
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #53
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
Nothing a user does on the user accessible side of the Kobo should result in a broken device. Needing-to-be factory reset is barely acceptable, but broken is completely unacceptable.

If someone goes playing around on the internal side of the device, then they are on their own.
If you are MANUALLY putting a firmware on your device in a way that is NOT APPROVED by the company, how is this any different than rooting the device? Or maybe they should be responsible for problems is you do that as well? This isn't something you can accidentally do, you are making a conscious decision to do it. Kobo has always recommended not doing it.
I'd much rather they spend time working on improving the firmware than wasting time covering the possibility that someone was going to put the wrong firmware on and doing all the testing to make sure that didn't break something that would mean it didn't install on a device that it should.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #54
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Got 2.1.5 on my KT here in Oz this morning. Didn't work with a wifi sync but work via the desktop. Version is 2.1.5 (r43939).
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #55
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I got 2.1.4 automatically through the desktop app. Got 2.1.5 automatically through a wifi sync.

2.1.4. was already very stable and very nice to use imo. Just wish they'd sort all the font issues out.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #56
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Probably for the simple reason we the end-users are not meant to be aware of the file location ..
Come on, even for internal use it should have a different name.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #57
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I'm confused. My KT was stuck on 2.0.0 for the last week, and just updated to 2.1.4 this morning. There's still no 2.1.5 for me. Why would my KT update to 2.1.4 today if that version was withdrawn to fix a bug and then re-released as 2.1.5?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #58
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I'm confused. My KT was stuck on 2.0.0 for the last week, and just updated to 2.1.4 this morning. There's still no 2.1.5 for me. Why would my KT update to 2.1.4 today if that version was withdrawn to fix a bug and then re-released as 2.1.5?

You expect logic from Kobo upgrades?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #59
jusmee
Wizard

I just got my 2.1.5 update, and now I see why so many people think they are getting 2.1.4. At the end of the upgrade, it restarts and the user is presented with a page proudly announcing that their reader now has 2.1.4 on it. Even though it is really 2.1.5. I know, we have been told it's because they don't put release notes on a maintenance release - but when you through incorrect info right in the user's face, you are just causing confusion!!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #60
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
Check under your settings/device info and you'll likely find you're actually on 2.1.5. Firmware notes pop-up title wasn't updated.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote