Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #16
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Apple is not obliged to send you the ACC, but you *are* allowed, by law, to make your own.
In some jurisdictions, even that is illegal.
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamARobot View Post
In some jurisdictions, even that is illegal.
Absolutely. It's illegal in the UK, for example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #18
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely. It's illegal in the UK, for example.
Not according to this:

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/co..._copyright_law

Though I have no first hand knowlege of the accuracy of this web page.]

Edit: perhaps I should have read more carefully. The backup provision is specified as being for comptuer programs only. Has someone already determined that it doesn't apply to anything else digital that can be backed up?

Edit: And finally, this message was completely wrong. UK's Copyright, Designs and Patents Act of 1988 forbids this practice. Sorry. You guys are just screwed

Last edited by rashkae; 11-23-2011 at 02:21 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #19
Shigalyov
Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.

Device: [no sponsor - no mention]
A slight variant on the question in the OP:

If I owned a paper book at home and I transcribed and then uploaded it to my eReader would that be lawful?
Shigalyov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:46 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigalyov View Post

If I owned a paper book at home and I transcribed and then uploaded it to my eReader would that be lawful?
It depends what is considered "fair use" under copyright law in your country of residence. Since you do not specify that either in your post or in your profile, your question is impossible to answer.

Again, though, if you live in the UK, the answer is "no, it would not be legal", although if it was for purely personal use, there would be no risk of you actually being prosecuted for doing so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 06:11 PM   #21
Shigalyov
Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.Shigalyov is no ebook tyro.

Device: [no sponsor - no mention]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Since you do not specify that either in your post or in your profile, your question is impossible to answer.
Whoops!.. Sorry about that. It's Australia actually.
Thanks for attempting an answer in any case.
Shigalyov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #22
IamARobot
Enthusiast
IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.IamARobot has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigalyov View Post

An interesting note here about something US related.

PGP, due to its strong cryptography, was considered an ordinance (weapon) in the US. As such it, in compiled form, could not be exported from the US. To get around this, they would print it as a book, export the book from the US (not considered a weapon), OCR the book and recompile based on the OCR'ed source code.

As for the quote, it would likely still be a copyright infringement as copyright is to cover the copying of the work, which you would have done during transcription.
IamARobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:53 PM   #23
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
That last point, it really depends on the jurisdiction. AFAIK in Germany making copies for purely personal use is OK. For example ripping your own CDs to your computer, for instance, as long as it doesn't involve cracking some kind of copy protection. So I'd think HERE transcribing a book and making an ebook version would be legal.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #24
shall1028
Nameless Being

Better question: is this at all related to the topic of this sub-forum?
Old 11-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #25
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrokamileon View Post
is there a problem with me using an epub that I "found" online if I have the physical book in my bookshelf?
Good question. I've read this whole thread and see people getting into all kinds of arcane copyright arguments. I won't ask where or how you "found" this book, but I'd say, at least morally, you have the right to read a book you already own by any means you like. You could scan it, OCR it and convert it to ePub format and then read it and I can't see anything wrong with that. Should the publisher or author get any more money for that? I think not, any more than they should get paid every time a library book is read.

I own about a thousand vinyl LPs, most of them acquired before CDs were invented. I used to record them on cassette to listen to them in my car and I think that was considered illegal originally, but not anymore. Now I could record them real time and rip them to mp3 to listen on my mp3 player in the car, but being lazy, I just find them on line in mp3 or flac format and don't feel guilty at all, since I already own the music.

No, you probably won't get the RCMP breaking down your door, but you never know. They've got so many other problems now, they may be looking for a diversion.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #26
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
I only read the initial question (and not all the posts) and...usually...if you have to ask if it's legal - the answer is usually "no"...
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #27
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quite correct, know-one. If they ask, they probably already suspect, but I doubt if they'll change their evil ways. Maybe they get a kick out of people condemning them. Every day we all do all kinds of things that are illegal.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #28
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
Let's put this a little bit simple:
Your question could be:

"Can I read a book to my son?"

From the publishers point of view, it's illegal!!!

so? My answer is: go ahead !!!
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote