Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-01-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Ebook/Audiobook Subscription services

I've noticed that there is little discussion of these services here. That surprises me as I would have thought more would be using them. For me with the poor selection of ebook/audiobooks from my local library, and my reading habits of reading/listening to 10+ books a month, they are very valuable. Here are the ones I've tried or am using.

Amazon Prime - One of the benefits is First Reads. Each month they offer a selection of 6 books, you can select one of them for free.

Amazon Kindle Unlimited - Amazon claims an astounding number of books and some audio, and while that is probably true I found that most books offered are from lesser known authors. I don't have a problem with that as a good book is a good book no matter who writes it. But with new/self published/lesser knows authors, the quality of the read is all over the place. I've read plenty of good books here and no few stinkers. Cost about $10/month with a little discount if you pay for a year. One plus on cost is that they occasionally have a sale on the subscription though you usually have to dig around to find it.

Scribd - They changed their subscription model and now offer 'unlimited' reading/listening of books, magazines and some other things. This service tends to have more mainstream authors but with a twist. For instance the JD Robb "in death" series are almost all here but only as audiobooks and I've found others that way too. I've been using it for quite a few months now and am very pleased with it. Cost about $9/month with a cheaper annual plan.

Audible - A very good service for audiobooks but at a premium price. It doesn't fit me as I prefer reading to listening. Cost is about $15/month for one regular book and 2 'audible books'. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what the 'audible books' are.

That's mine, what's yours?

Sent from my Google Pixelbook using Tapatalk
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
I've noticed that there is little discussion of these services here. That surprises me as I would have thought more would be using them. For me with the poor selection of ebook/audiobooks from my local library, and my reading habits of reading/listening to 10+ books a month, they are very valuable. Here are the ones I've tried or am using.
First Reads

Audible

The other two get mentioned when they have sales.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I mostly do audiobooks, probably 4 to 5 a month.

I'm lucky to have a good local library which offers Overdrive and Hoopla audiobooks.

To supplement, I start and stop an Audible subscription. When they offer me a free book, at least once year, I'll start a subscription and keep it going for a few months. These fill in for the books I really want to read that aren't available through the library. Once I get a backlog of books, I cancel or put the membership on hold.

I've used the Kindle unlimited trials as they've been offered to me, at least 3 times so far, I've discovered a couple of absolutely delightful authors this way, but I haven't found enough audiobooks to justify keeping the subscription going.

There'also the Prime lending library, I think it's a subset of Kindle Unlimited.

Those are enough to keep my ears busy. ��
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Those are enough to keep my ears busy. ��
I hear ya
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Lparsons21, did you look at Prime Reading?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I do pay for library cards to 2 libraries: Brooklyn and FLP. They, along with my local library, provide all the reading I want.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #7
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Lparsons21, did you look at Prime Reading?

Yes, and it was what got me started with the subscription model. Now I use Kindle Unlimited when I get a real good sales deal on it and back off to Prime Reading otherwise.

For those that haven’t looked at Scribd, it is worth taking another look. And to sweeten the deal they have a 30 free trial. Plenty of both ebooks and audiobooks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:54 PM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Scroll down to Everything Audiobook and there are two sub forums.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=265
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #9
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I do pay for library cards to 2 libraries: Brooklyn and FLP. They, along with my local library, provide all the reading I want.
Yes, I do too, plus Scribd. I'm a book fool, e-books, audiobooks, paper books, everything.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
In addition to Overdrive my local library system also has an extensive selection of books on CD. Don't overlook the availability of physical media.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote