Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #46
ello
ello can extract oil from cheeseello can extract oil from cheeseello can extract oil from cheeseello can extract oil from cheeseello can extract oil from cheeseello can extract oil from cheeseello can extract oil from cheeseello can extract oil from cheese

Device: H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Good! Could you confirm that internal rotation works too? That means: You keep fb=0, and you change the ksm value. The screen should rotate and you should still be able to make selections.
Yepp, that also works flawless!
ello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #47
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
Code:
PLATFORM=mx6sl-ntx PRODUCT=snow INTERFACE= WIFI_MODULE= WIFI=RTL8189
CPU=mx6sl PCB=E60QM0 RAM=LPDDR2 RAM_SIZE=512MB
MODEL_NUMBER=374 FW=4.10.11655 UNAME=Linux (none) 3.0.35+ #6004 PREEMPT Fri Dec 2 14:15:07 CST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
Device: H20 Edition 2 (V1) - KSM not installed

The only combinations where the screen is responsive are those where FB is 0:

FB / KSM

0 / 0, 90, 180, 270 -> working

All other combinations have as result a non responsive display. E.g. I tap d and get w as result or I do not get any reaction.

Last edited by Dirk-71; 12-03-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #48
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Code:
PLATFORM=mx6sl-ntx PRODUCT=alyssum INTERFACE= WIFI_MODULE= WIFI=WC121A2
CPU=mx6sl PCB=E60Q90 RAM=LPDDR2 RAM_SIZE=512MB
MODEL_NUMBER=371 FW=4.10.11655 UNAME=Linux (none) 3.0.35+ #4072 PREEMPT Mon Dec 19 09:25:37 CST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
Device: Kobo Glo HD - KSM not installed

No combination is working! Tried all combinations with libKoboTS.so and libKoboTS_h2o2.so (libKoboTS_h2o.so not working at all).

Last edited by Dirk-71; 12-03-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:02 PM   #49
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
ello and Dirk-71,
thank you for confirming that H20 Edition 2 (V1) works as expected.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #50
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk-71 View Post
Code:
PLATFORM=mx6sl-ntx PRODUCT=alyssum INTERFACE= WIFI_MODULE= WIFI=WC121A2
CPU=mx6sl PCB=E60Q90 RAM=LPDDR2 RAM_SIZE=512MB
MODEL_NUMBER=371 FW=4.10.11655 UNAME=Linux (none) 3.0.35+ #4072 PREEMPT Mon Dec 19 09:25:37 CST 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux
Device: Kobo Glo HD - KSM not installed

No combination is working! Tried all combinations with libKoboTS.so and libKoboTS_h2o2.so (libKoboTS_h2o.so not working at all).
Thank you for testing! The expected driver is libKoboTS_h2o.so. I guess you did not try the latest version of KoboLauncher (2018.11.30). Would be interesting whether touch works there.
Advert
Old 12-04-2018, 03:34 AM   #51
Dirk-71
Zealot

Quote:
Thank you for testing! The expected driver is libKoboTS_h2o.so. I guess you did not try the latest version of KoboLauncher (2018.11.30). Would be interesting whether touch works there.
I just was using the latest version but driver libKoboTS_h2o is not working at all for Kobo Glo HD. Using this driver prevents showing the KSM Menu. Simply nothing happens. Using the other drivers KSM does appear but with non responsive display.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:21 PM   #52
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I just was using the latest version but driver libKoboTS_h2o is not working at all for Kobo Glo HD.
I meant it would be interesting to know whether the new driver works on vlasovsoft-KoboLauncher (cf. here).
Quote:
Using this driver prevents showing the KSM Menu.Simply nothing happens.
This is strange. I wonder whether I am missing something here.
Quote:
Using the other drivers KSM does appear but with non responsive display.
I just tested the three drivers on a (non HD) Glo. KSM appears with all of them, and work with libKoboTS.so and libKoboTS_h2o.so alike.
For the moment I do not know how to go on from here.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #53
DezReads
DezReads began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (Version 2)
Hello, just joined to help you guys (if help is still needed)!

Model: 378

Everything works as long as 'fb rotation' is set to '2'!

Code:
### executed:killall nickel sickel adobehost

export QWS_MOUSE_PROTO=KoboTS_h2o2 ksmrotate=2 mrotation=90; /mnt/onboard/.adds/ksm_helper/kobomenu_test.sh

### executed:/mnt/onboard/.adds/ksm_helper/print_info.sh

PLATFORM=mx6sll-ntx
PRODUCT=snow
INTERFACE=
WIFI_MODULE=
WIFI=RTL8189
CPU=mx6sll
PCB=E60QM0
RAM=LPDDR2
RAM_SIZE=512MB
MODEL_NUMBER=378
FW=4.10.11655
UNAME=Linux (none) 4.1.15-00129-gdbd540d #21 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 30 14:46:31 CST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

### executed:killall kobomenu
Here are the results with different 'fbreader' settings:
  1. 'fbreader' = '0':
    Touch works but seems to be inverted.
  2. 'fbreader' = '1':
    Touch works in the upper 3/4ths of the screen where it is weirdly offset or inverted.
  3. 'fbreader' = '3':
    Touch works but is offset and or weirdly inverted.

I also have a couple of questions if you don't mind.
  1. How do I uninstall the testing utility?
  2. Can I install KSM from the main thread now?
  3. Is it possible to ssh onto my device?

Let me know if you need anything else, I'm willing to test almost anything as long as the instructions are clear! Again I am new to all of this and only recently got the device so apologies in advance if anything is unclear or not formatted properly.

Edit: I installed ksm 09 according to the main thread. Works fine except that the buttons at the bottom are inverted. USB MTP or USB Net do not work. The 'ksm_helper' is still in the .adds folder and it's web interface still works.

Last edited by DezReads; 12-08-2018 at 08:16 AM.
DezReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #54
tshering
Wizard

DezReads,
thank you for testing!
Currently I cannot provide a version of KSM that works on all devices.
We could try to make your usb work again. First you have to download a KoboRoot.tgz to your device. I have renamed the file to KoboRoot.epub (so that you can download it easily with nickel's web browser, and have uploaded it to the first post of this thread (so that you do not have to navigate to this post, which is a pain with the browser). If you like do the following:
  • [on the Kobo] Open the web browser of nickel
  • [on PC] Start the rotation test webinterface
  • [on the Kobo] Download KoboRoot.epub with the web browser
  • [on the Kobo] When the browser shows "Download Complete" chose "close"
  • [on PC] Write into the cml-field (yellow)[CODE]mv /mnt/onboard/KoboRoot.epub /mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz 2>&1[\CODE] and press the "execute" button
  • [on the Kobo] Exit into KSM
  • [on the Kobo] There you should now see the new entry "handle update"
  • [on the Kobo] Select "handle update" > "KR install uncontrolled"
When the update is finished, usb will work again, or so I believe.

As for removing the testing utility, see this post. But maybe it is better to keep it for the moment, or at least until usb works again.

EDIT: I was writing this post under the assumption that you cannot load anything unto your device via usb. From your post on the plato thread I guess you can after all. Then the whole attempt to download the KoboRoot.tgz with the web browser is of course a waste of time and energy.

Last edited by tshering; 12-08-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #55
DezReads

Yes I apologize, I should have clarified... When I am in nickel, connecting my device via usb still works. I have removed the testing utility for now as ksm actually works fine besides the mentioned issues and I can use rmc over wifi for now!

Thank you also for the guide and for uploading KoboRoot.tgz, although luckily I do not need it, I think it is still good to leave it up just in case something might go wrong for someone else!

What doesn't work for me is the 'usb enable.sh' script I suppose. When I execute it, the USB support still shows 'disabled', that's all.
Also, after executing the 'usb enable.sh' script, ksm won't show the icons to launch nickel or koreader anymore, so I have to restart for them to reappear.

Actually maybe a pc would recognise my device but I cannot currently test that because I am using a mac. My mac also doesn't recognise my reader in plato if I use platos usb feature.

Again it is not a big issue, as I can just use nickel to transport files!

Last edited by DezReads; 12-08-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #56
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezReads View Post
What doesn't work for me is the 'usb enable.sh' script I suppose. When I execute it, the USB support still shows 'disabled', that's all.
Also, after executing the 'usb enable.sh' script, ksm won't show the icons to launch nickel or koreader anymore, so I have to restart for them to reappear.
What is happening is that KSM tries to enable usb storage mode, and for that purpose unmounts the user partition to prevent data corruption. Since Koreader is located on the user partition, and nickel uses some files of the user partition, you cannot start them in this state. The problem is that KSM evidently fails to enable usb storage mode. Did you installed the KSM version from the first post of the KSM thread? I guess usb would work with the version you can find here. You can install it over your current version (select install uncontrolled).
The problem with enabling usb storage is caused, I believe, by KSM trying to enable usbnet at start up. The KSM version you are probably running cannot handle this on mark 7 devices and therefore messes up the usb situation. This might possibly effect also plato.

Quote:
Again it is not a big issue, as I can just use nickel to transport files!
It might become an issue when nickel does stop working. This can happen for instance when the database gets corrupted.

Last edited by tshering; 12-09-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:13 PM   #57
DezReads

Quote:
What is happening is that KSM tries to enable usb storage mode, and for that purpose unmounts the user partition to prevent data corruption. Since Koreader is located on the user partition, and nickel uses some files of the user partition, you cannot start them in this state.
Thank you for explaining, that makes sense. I think I will make a script that does the opposite and mounts the onboard partition again so I don't always have to reboot when I test it.

Quote:
Did you installed the KSM version from the first post of the KSM thread? I guess usb would work with the version you can find here. You can install it over your current version (select install uncontrolled).
I have just tried it and it still has the same problems, usb still doesn't work and the touch input is horizontally mirrored. In fact, isn't this version missing update_002? I had already installed that before.
(I did not have the option to select 'install uncontrolled', I just put KoboRoot.tgz into the .kobo folder and ejected my device, then it rebooted)

Quote:
The problem with enabling usb storage is caused, I believe, by KSM trying to enable usbnet at start up. The KSM version you are probably running cannot handle this on mark 7 devices and therefore messes up the usb situation. This might possibly effect also plato.
I see. Is there an option to completely turn off usbnet? I do not need it for now as long as wifi works. I can also ssh into my device by using koreader or vlavosoft launcher or use rmc over wifi in KSM.

Quote:
It might become an issue when nickel does stop working. This can happen for instance when the database gets corrupted.
Good to know. If I could still access KSM then I could start vlavosoft launcher and use sftp and ssh to fix things!
Old 12-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #58
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you for explaining, that makes sense. I think I will make a script that does the opposite and mounts the onboard partition again so I don't always have to reboot when I test it.
Try first whether you get rid of the problem by disabling usbnet at start:
"tools" > "ksm diverse.msh" > "auto enable usbnet off.sh"

Quote:
I have just tried it and it still has the same problems, usb still doesn't work and the touch input is horizontally mirrored. In fact, isn't this version missing update_002? I had already installed that before.
(I did not have the option to select 'install uncontrolled', I just put KoboRoot.tgz into the .kobo folder and ejected my device, then it rebooted)
Rebooted and ...? What happened then? Did it automatically installed the update?

Quote:
I see. Is there an option to completely turn off usbnet?

Quote:
Good to know. If I could still access KSM then I could start vlavosoft launcher and use sftp and ssh to fix things!
it is very easy to enable telnet access by installing this package.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #59
DezReads

Quote:
Try first whether you get rid of the problem by disabling usbnet at start:
"tools" > "ksm diverse.msh" > "auto enable usbnet off.sh"

Rebooted and ...? What happened then? Did it automatically installed the update?
I have disabled usbnet but it didn't fix the problem.

Also yeah, I think it automatically installed the update.

By the way, I have also added "useDropbear=true" but it didn't work over wifi. It works in vlasovsoft and koreader. Telnet also works, thank you!
Old 12-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #60
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
I have disabled usbnet but it didn't fix the problem.
Could you please run the this test so that we see what is happening?

Quote:
Also yeah, I think it automatically installed the update.
This should not happen. Is your device booting each time into KSM or only every other time?

Quote:
By the way, I have also added "useDropbear=true" but it didn't work over wifi.
"useDropbear=true" tells the enable_usb script to start dropbear.