Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thoughts on the Apple Pencil?

What do people think about the Apple Pencil? I was looking at it last night in my local (-ish) Apple Store. I'm quite tempted by it. Anyone have one?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not really a pencil. It's a stylus.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jon, you really are a very annoying person. "Apple Pencil" is the name of the product.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

LOL, yep penguins can be annoying at times, at least around here!

Harry, I've got the Apple Pencil. I like it a lot. It gives me a lot of control. I've never owned a Wacom tablet and that kind of stylus before, or anything like those, so I cannot compare to them. But I can draw really well with it. I can get minute selection with it. I think it was well worth the $100 I paid. Oh, and it is very good for editing documents.

It does need to be charged each day, but that literally takes 5 minutes or so. Even just plugging it into the lightning port on the iPad will charge it quickly, though I bought an external charging port for mine.

Here is a self portrait I drew with it. I'm not that artistic, but it is a pleasure to use this stylus.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Self-Portrait-SketchBook-600x533.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	157308  
Old 06-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, Jack. I think I'll wait and see how my eBay auction turns out, and if I don't make too much of a loss on the new iPad Pro, this will be my next purchase, I think.
Advert
Old 06-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I have the Pencil for my iPad Pro 12.9". I've been playing with some of the sketching apps, and I really like it for online crossword puzzles. I send the puzzle to Notability and then use the pencil to solve them. Same for Sudoko etc. It's great that you can rest your hand on the screen and the iPad knows to ignore that touch.

It's a nice stylus too.

I'm not very good with the artistic side, but hope to improve.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Jon, you really are a very annoying person. "Apple Pencil" is the name of the product.
The term pencil refers to the experience that that user can expect. The new Sony pen has two different tips available. One provides a pencil experience and the other feels more like a pen.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I've used a variety of Bluetooth styluses on my iPad Air 2. These only work optimally with apps that specifically integrate with each vendor's SDK, and the features available (pressure sensitivity, button support, palm rejection, etc) vary from stylus to stylus and from app to app. It's a mess.

Having pen support in the OS was the obvious thing for Apple to do to improve this, and I'm looking forward to getting an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. Ideally, however, they will some day open things up for third party hardware, including devices with extended function buttons. 'One size' doesn't fit all hands and requirements.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #9
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
What do people think about the Apple Pencil? I was looking at it last night in my local (-ish) Apple Store. I'm quite tempted by it. Anyone have one?
I've got one and like it, but I really don't use it that often. It really depends on what you use it for and what you expect from it. I don't really draw that much, so it doesn't do a lot for me.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

One thing I like to use my Apple Pencil for is to make handwritten notes and add little drawings to Notes in the Note app.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:06 PM   #11
Keslynn
Plausible Deniability
Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Keslynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini 4
I don't draw and only sometimes color (in those coloring book apps). I love the Apple Pencil though. Best stylus I've ever used, and it just plain feels nice in your hand. I wish I could use it on my iPad Mini too.

Nice drawing, Jack! I wish I had some skill beyond stick figures.
Keslynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:19 PM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I wouldnt hesitate to get one if I had a Pro. As it is, I use an Adonit Jot and its OK, but palm rejection depends on software, not the devices, and thats a bit hit and miss. I just use it for fine work in Adobe Photoshop Fix. An Apple Pencil and a Pro would be much more useful, generally.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
One thing I like to use my Apple Pencil for is to make handwritten notes and add little drawings to Notes in the Note app.
I'm looking forward to these new features.
Quote:
iOS 11 Update For Apple Pencil
The functionality of the Apple Pencil will be improved as part of the iOS 11 update. For example, the Notes app will support searchable handwriting, inline drawing. And tapping on the Lock Screen with the Apple Pencil will open up your most recently opened note.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:57 PM   #14
macaddicted
macaddicted began at the beginning.

Device: none
I bought one with my original iPad Pro. I've tried about every stylus there is: adonit, Wacom, cosmonaut, pencil by 53 and about every generic there is. I love the Apple Pencil. The lag time for writing is better than all the battery operated competitors, the palm rejection is much better, and the charge time is much, much better. I prefer the length to any stylus, battery or not, I've used
macaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:04 AM   #15
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
I bought one with the 12" Pro. I rarely use it. It would be great for drawing, which I do not do, perhaps note taking, but I prefer the keyboard.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote