Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
iPad Pro gets a face lift and new size.

The iPad Pro description in the wiki has been modified for the 2017 release of the iPad Pro. A new 10.5" replaces the 9.7" and the 12.9" gets an upgrade to match the 10.5" specs. (I left the 9.7 in the wiki for comparison purposes).

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Oops we must have been typing at the same time. I'll change my thread to be about iOS 11 rather than the two new iPads.
Advert
Old 06-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Needless to say that I bought an iMac a month ago. Ah well, at least it wasn't a week ago.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I bought my iPad Pro 9.7 just a few months ago. But no big deal as it does everything I need it to and then some. I'm a poor boy so I can settle for second or third best!
Old 06-06-2017, 01:12 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Definitely interested in the iPad Pro 12", better camera w/LED, scanning deskew feature etc.. The new features of iOS 11 look good as well.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2017, 04:21 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the "old" 12.9" iPad Pro, which I've certainly no intention of replacing. I'll probably replace my current 9.7" iPad Air 2 with the new 10.5" iPad Pro at some point in the next year - that's the device I travel with, and the improvements look very worthwhile. Happy to see that there's now a 512GB option - you can never have too much storage!

Very happy with the improvements in these new models. Apple keep on making the iPad better and better, to my mind. I've never been a Mac user (or had any desire to be one), but I really love my iPads .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have the "old" 12.9" iPad Pro, which I've certainly no intention of replacing. I'll probably replace my current 9.7" iPad Air 2 with the new 10.5" iPad Pro at some point in the next year - that's the device I travel with, and the improvements look very worthwhile. Happy to see that there's now a 512GB option - you can never have too much storage!

Very happy with the improvements in these new models. Apple keep on making the iPad better and better, to my mind. I've never been a Mac user (or had any desire to be one), but I really love my iPads .
More storage is the primary reason that I tend to upgrade my iDevices. If they came out with a new mini with that much storage, I would buy it in a New York second. I use my current mini as a lunch/bedtime reader rather than carry my 12.9" iPad Pro. The 10.5" might be small enough to make the switch, but I'm going to wait until there is a good enough selection in cases to find one that suits my needs (i.e. prop it up on the table so I can read while I eat. A battery case would be perfect).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:08 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Couldn't resist it - just placed an order for the 10.5" iPad Pro (space grey, 256GB, WiFi+Cellular) plus a Smart Cover. Delivery on Wednesday. Should be able to get half the cost back by selling my existing iPad Air 2.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Couldn't resist it - just placed an order for the 10.5" iPad Pro (space grey, 256GB, WiFi+Cellular) plus a Smart Cover. Delivery on Wednesday. Should be able to get half the cost back by selling my existing iPad Air 2.
I'm having second thoughts about what to sell. It may well be that the slightly larger screen of the new iPad will remove my need for my 12.9" iPad Pro, in which case I'll sell that too. I'll see when it arrives. If I do sell both my iPad Air 2 and my iPad Pro, the two together should pay for the new iPad - I may even end up slightly in profit.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-11-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm jealous, both that you have the new one on the way and that you have two others that will still fetch a nice used price! I usually keep my iThingies so long before upgrading that the old one is not worth much and better just kept as a backup. For example, I upgraded from an iPad Mini 2 to my iPad Pro 9.7. I just kept the Mini because I would have basically just been giving it away at its current market value. Always nice to have options like you have!
Old 06-11-2017, 09:59 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This is the first time I've ever bought an iPad that's not the top end model. I looked at the prices, and asked myself "is it worth spending nearly £200 more to get the 512GB model rather than the 256GB?", and the answer has be "no" for me personally.

I use my iPad for two main purposes: first and foremost as a PDF reader, and secondly as a photo viewer. I have about 40GB free on my 128GB iPad (and 160GB free on my 256 GB iPad Pro - I have essentially the same content on both), so in all honestly I can't see myself needing the extra 256GB. May as well save the money! I do always buy the version with 4G, because I travel with my iPad, and it's often useful to have the 3G/4G access when I'm in places with no Internet (or staying in hotels where they charge a ridiculous price for it).
Old 06-11-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
This is the first time I've ever bought an iPad that's not the top end model. I looked at the prices, and asked myself "is it worth spending nearly £200 more to get the 512GB model rather than the 256GB?", and the answer has be "no" for me personally.

I use my iPad for two main purposes: first and foremost as a PDF reader, and secondly as a photo viewer. I have about 40GB free on my 128GB iPad (and 160GB free on my 256 GB iPad Pro - I have essentially the same content on both), so in all honestly I can't see myself needing the extra 256GB. May as well save the money! I do always buy the version with 4G, because I travel with my iPad, and it's often useful to have the 3G/4G access when I'm in places with no Internet (or staying in hotels where they charge a ridiculous price for it).
I have the air 2 without the 4g I am thinking about the IPad pro 10.5 and may stay with the cheaper 128 if it is still available. I do not keep much on my devices, I depend on the cloud a lot. I tether to my IPhone when I need a connection away from home.
My question is: Is the 4g really worth it or should I just stick with tethering to my IPhone?
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have the air 2 without the 4g I am thinking about the IPad pro 10.5 and may stay with the cheaper 128 if it is still available. I do not keep much on my devices, I depend on the cloud a lot. I tether to my IPhone when I need a connection away from home.
My question is: Is the 4g really worth it or should I just stick with tethering to my IPhone?
For me personally, the cellular radio is not worth the extra cost because I would have to pay for another line on my T-Mobile account. So more money for the device plus an additional monthly cost. No more than I use my iPads with cellular, I can easily use my iPhone as a hotspot for no additional cost per month as I have unlimited data. But YMMV of course.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #14
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
For me personally, the cellular radio is not worth the extra cost because I would have to pay for another line on my T-Mobile account. So more money for the device plus an additional monthly cost. No more than I use my iPads with cellular, I can easily use my iPhone as a hotspot for no additional cost per month as I have unlimited data. But YMMV of course.
I agree with you on the extra cost. I still have the IPhone 5S and it works great for my use. I have the IPad air 2 with me normally for when I need a large screen.
I will stay with the 5S as long as I can get updates and it keeps working. But I believe I will update to the IPad Pro seeing I using the IPad more and more as a laptop replacement. I will get the smart keyboard case.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I agree with you on the extra cost. I still have the IPhone 5S and it works great for my use. I have the IPad air 2 with me normally for when I need a large screen.
I will stay with the 5S as long as I can get updates and it keeps working. But I believe I will update to the IPad Pro seeing I using the IPad more and more as a laptop replacement. I will get the smart keyboard case.
Whether or not the 4G version's worth it is very much a matter of personal usage, of course. It's worth it for me - it may well not be for you.

I bought the keyboard cover with my original iPad Pro, and I didn't like it at all! It made the iPad too heavy and bulky, and of course it's there all the time, whereas I only actually need a keyboard quite rarely. I returned the keyboard cover, swapped it for a normal Smart Cover, and then bought a Logitech Bluetooth "Keys-to-Go" keyboard, which is a very lightweight standalone keyboard. It's charged via USB using a standard microUSB connector, and runs for months on a charge. Highly recommended! The Smart Cover and the Logitech keyboard together were about the same price as the Apple keyboard cover.