Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
ohofke
ohofke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
PK2 - Collections disabled in Kindle unregistered

Good afternoon. First, sorry for my English is not my first language.

I have a Kindle PW2 unregistered in the Amazon, his screen cracked in one piece and exchanged it for another, but have not sought the "old".

I'm running 5.4.5 firmware on JB and I wonder how to be able to use the tool to create collections, given that it appears to me disabled.

They could help me? I would be VERY grateful!
ohofke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If the Kindle is not registered, collections will never be available.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
If the Kindle is not registered, collections will never be available.
Actually, I believe that there is a way to do it if the Kindle is jailbroken, and since the OP states that it is "running 5.4.5 firmware on JB" then it probably is possible.

ohofke-Check out the Kindle Developer's Corner for more information on this.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:34 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Would it not be easier simply to register the Kindle?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:00 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
To be specific -- the collections management UI is disabled on unregistered devices. Existing collections still show up no matter what.

Take a look at our hacks for managing collections -- LibrarianSync (KUAL extension) and Collections Manager kindlet. Either one will bypass the Kindle framework and modify the database directly. Thus they work on unregistered devices.
Additionally, you can use the calibre plugin "Kindle Collections" with either hack, to manage collections automatically based on calibre metadata.

I do agree with HarryT though -- registering would be the simplest solution. If you, ah, "value your privacy", I think that is unwarranted paranoia but you can always use the BBB (Block Big Brother) Firewall hack available as a KUAL extension. It comes with rules for blocking all Amazon connections.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2015, 03:53 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I do agree with HarryT though -- registering would be the simplest solution. If you, ah, "value your privacy", I think that is unwarranted paranoia but you can always use the BBB (Block Big Brother) Firewall hack available as a KUAL extension. It comes with rules for blocking all Amazon connections.
Or just register the device and then leave WiFi turned off. That's what I do, not because I have any privacy concerns (if anyone wants to see what I'm reading, they have only to look in the "What am I currently reading" thread in the "Reading Recommendations" forum here at MR) but because leaving WiFi turned off roughly doubles the battery life.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That too would work -- as long as the WiFi was never ever turned back on.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote