Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
zooyuka
zooyuka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 & Kindle 4
Clip on LED Light?

Do any of you use a clip-on LED light with your PRS-T1? I would prefer to have a stand alone light than one incorporated in a case. I don't do much reading in the dark, but I would like to have the option.
zooyuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I use this one and although I clip it to my cover, the clip does allow you to clip directly on the reader as well. As well, lots of colour choices. It's $5 cheaper if you buy directly from lightwedge instead of Amazon... Most good LED ereader lights cost between $15-$20.
http://www.lightwedge.com/Verso-Clip-Light
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
zooyuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I use this one and although I clip it to my cover, the clip does allow you to clip directly on the reader as well. As well, lots of colour choices. It's $5 cheaper if you buy directly from lightwedge instead of Amazon... Most good LED ereader lights cost between $15-$20.
http://www.lightwedge.com/Verso-Clip-Light
Thanks! I will check it out. I'm glad to know that it will directly clip to the reader, since that is the way I intend to use it.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I looked for something similar originally then just caved and bought the official Cover, my reason was solely the coin type batteries used I just can't imagine them lasting very long and unless I'm wrong their pretty expensive.

So as much as I don't believe in the cover being worth anywhere near what Sony sells it for I do think it's the cheaper option in the long run as all you need is a single AAA and that doesn't cost me really anything as I have quite a few of the rechargeable energisers.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just noticed I'm wrong and you can buy rechargeable ones now which is definitely a good option far better than needing the coin batteries, I still like using triple AAA batteries though as their so easily found and they can be rechargeable as well.

sorry for the double post by the way I thought I hit edit.
Advert
Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
It uses 2 cr2032 batteries which are 3/$1 at the Dollar Store. They last about 30 hours. Much cheaper option than the cover and can be used with the OP's 2 readers what with being clipon.
In North America dollar stores are around very corner, not sure if that's the case elsewhere though...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 05-21-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
It uses 2 cr2032 batteries which are 3/$1 at the Dollar Store. They last about 30 hours. Much cheaper option than the cover and can be used with the OP's 2 readers what with being clipon.
In North America dollar stores are around very corner, not sure if that's the case elsewhere though...
I had a brief look at the UK prices and they seem to be about £1 each here which at least as far as I'm concerned is much less appealing, roughly I think to get 3 here would cost almost 5$ in US terms.

30 hours isn't bad at all though much better than I expected, I think I get about 15 from the case but then I will always have 3 more ready to load into it when I need to and it really does a good job evenly lighting.

I probably would have saved money and bought a standalone if I had found rechargeable ones at the time but I don't regret the case if nothing else it keeps my T1 dust free.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But there is one issue with the clip-on. What if you go on vacation and forget the clip-on? The cover light is there with you as long as you have the reader. Plus, if you don't have the button batteries and you aren't near a dollar store, you then have to pay more or do without.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
zooyuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But there is one issue with the clip-on. What if you go on vacation and forget the clip-on? The cover light is there with you as long as you have the reader. Plus, if you don't have the button batteries and you aren't near a dollar store, you then have to pay more or do without.
This is all true, but I really don't want a case w/ built in light. I just use a protective sleeve for my reader when I travel. I doubt I would forget the light if I intend to use my reader. Also, I can buy the batteries in bulk for less than .20 a piece. If I find myself reading more that 30 hours anyway on a vaction I should just stay home anyway....LOL.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I had a brief look at the UK prices and they seem to be about £1 each here which at least as far as I'm concerned is much less appealing, roughly I think to get 3 here would cost almost 5$ in US terms.

30 hours isn't bad at all though much better than I expected, I think I get about 15 from the case but then I will always have 3 more ready to load into it when I need to and it really does a good job evenly lighting.

I probably would have saved money and bought a standalone if I had found rechargeable ones at the time but I don't regret the case if nothing else it keeps my T1 dust free.
Try eBay... last lot of CR2032 batteries cost me approx £10 for 100
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Try eBay... last lot of CR2032 batteries cost me approx £10 for 100
Well that's a lot better but I still think rechargeable triple AAA's are a lot cheaper and just easier in the long run. A set of modern rechargeables like eneloops or the energiser accu recharge extreme will last years.
I've always wondered why these clip on lights don't just use a more standard battery like Sony did, maybe it's just a size thing.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
zooyuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Well that's a lot better but I still think rechargeable triple AAA's are a lot cheaper and just easier in the long run. A set of modern rechargeables like eneloops or the energiser accu recharge extreme will last years.
I've always wondered why these clip on lights don't just use a more standard battery like Sony did, maybe it's just a size thing.
I'm guessing it has to do with weight. Something clipped to the top of the reader with a larger battery could make the machine really off balance when reading.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooyuka View Post
This is all true, but I really don't want a case w/ built in light. I just use a protective sleeve for my reader when I travel. I doubt I would forget the light if I intend to use my reader. Also, I can buy the batteries in bulk for less than .20 a piece. If I find myself reading more that 30 hours anyway on a vaction I should just stay home anyway....LOL.
Zooyuka, I am having a devil of a time choosing a cover or sleeve for my T1. Which protective sleeve are you using and would you recommend it to others?
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
zooyuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
Zooyuka, I am having a devil of a time choosing a cover or sleeve for my T1. Which protective sleeve are you using and would you recommend it to others?
This is the one I bought. Its nothing fancy, but does the job. I wish it was a little snugger, but it was the closest I could find. I think it is more than adequate to protect in a briefcase, luggage, purse etc.

I've also considered adding one of thesefor a snugger fit and added protection.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #15
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Zooruka
Thanks for your fast reply. But.....now I have spied the Oberon sleeves and am slowly leaning in that direction $$$$
But I will have to give a bit more thought before opening my wallet!
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote