Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Today, 03:45 PM   #46
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Interesting and intelligent comments. It would certainly be feasible to carve out at least most major properties by reference to the amount of revenue during the initial period. Do you see any benefit to doing this other than to make it politically possible. Leaving the rights holders there big money makers in return for their acquiescence. This alone would be quite adequate justification on the basis that it would still be a very significant improvement on the existing situation.

Also, any particular reason for 27 years? My suggestion of 10 was based on my understanding that most books have made virtually all of the revenue they are going to make well within the first 5 years, though on reflection this may no longer be true now books need never go "out of print".
Right, Ralph Sir Edward is correct. I simply picked that because it was the copyright period for much of the US history. 10 years may make more sense now in the quicker paced world than it did back in the 1800's when things moved at a much slower pace.

I see no benefit other that making it politically possible. My two competing concerns are getting the author as much money as possible and making sure the books are widely available. I do think that the pendulum has gone way too far in the copyright holders direction and there needs to be a correction. I do like the idea of books going into a licensing arrangement after a given amount of time. There are no perfect solutions that everyone is going to agree on. I wish there were.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:48 PM   #47
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
But Mickey Mouse has clearly been used as a trademark (along with Tinkerbell) for decades and is still used today. I think Disney would win that one. . .
Logic and law don't always mix. It's what you can convince a judge of, not what makes sense to a layman.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote