Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-14-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
rlconc
rlconc began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
pdf files not showing metadata series

Hi,
When editing metadata fields "series" and "number" in epub files the only way I get to transfer them correctly to my InkPad 3 is to convert file to epub again once those metadata are set and then transfer new file into InkPad.
The result is OK as you can see below

Click image for larger version

Name:	pTtm3Lj.png
Views:	152
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	168373

The problem is that this system is not working with PDF files since converting them again to PDF completely ruins original PDF look and format.
So I have tried all suggested solutions in many threads but metadata "series" and "number" don't show up. All I get is something like this:

Name:	UoAtZ7A.png
Views:	158
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	168374

I am using an alternative solution through Metadata plugboard with this expression: {series}{series_index:0>2s| – | – }{title}
So data are displayed like this:

Name:	EtyQx1k.png
Views:	146
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	168375

But I would really like to be able to display complete metadata in pdf files under title row as in attached epub example. How can I achieve this?
Thank you for your help

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-14-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Upload images to MR - PLEASE Read Guideline (link @ end of page) #9
rlconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
PDFs don't have a specific Series metadata element.

You could try using Embed Metadata tool to update the XMP metadata in the PDF; you'll probably need to add the tool into a toolbar or menu or give it a keyboard shortcut.

I don't know if your InkPad PDF Reader will show XMP metadata - at a guess, probably not.

Moderator Notice
BTW - read the message I left at bottom of your post

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-14-2018 at 07:42 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:14 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you basically need to cotact the makers of whatever reading software is used on your device and get them to support reading XMP metadata from PDF files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
rlconc
rlconc began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Thank you very much for your replies, I was getting mad with this.
Sorry for not following rule #9 from Guidelines, now I'm aware of them.
rlconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlconc View Post
Sorry for not following rule #9 from Guidelines, now I'm aware of them.
No worries. and welcome to MobileRead

Images can be uploaded to MR by clicking on the Advanced mode->top toolbar->paper-clip icon and selecting Manage attachments. Then they can be inserted in-line by selecting images from the paper-clip drop down.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote