Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-14-2023, 12:31 AM   #1
MonkCanatella
MonkCanatella began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Possible to sideload KFX to Kindle App on iPad?

Hi all,

I'm trying to use KFX instead of epub now as I want to be able to use continuous scroll. Unfortunately, I only found one person describing how to do it, but it's from a couple years ago and the Kindle app has had some major changes since then. In the file sharing window in itunes, Kindle doesn't show any of my books, and there's no folders to put books in. Using my macbook to connect, I see essentially the exact same thing I see on the iTunes interface. no books, just 3 random files.

Is it possibel to sideload kfx onto kindle still? I'd really appreciate some help
MonkCanatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:06 AM   #2
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
AFAIK the kindle iOS/iPadOS app will not let you sideload kfx, only mobi.
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 08:12 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The method described in this document still works for me to transfer KFX files from a PC to the Kindle app on an iPhone: Use iTunes to share files between your computer and your iOS or iPadOS device

I am using iOS 16.3.1 and iTunes 12.12.7. There is a glitch in that adding files to the app works but it will not show which files are already on the device. That used to work.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:08 AM   #4
MonkCanatella

I've tried that with epubs and not had any luck. They just sit there and kindle doesn't recognize them at all. This is on an ipad with the latest ios updates and the latest iTunes for windows. I'd really like to use kfx for the scrolling as I read on a tv (am considering working on a reader app for smartTVs), not to mention the other features though they're not as important
Old 03-14-2023, 10:36 AM   #5
MonkCanatella

OMG! it works with sideloaded KFX files but NOT EPUB. What in the world! Well this is awesome! thanks
Old 03-14-2023, 10:41 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkCanatella View Post
I've tried that with epubs and not had any luck. They just sit there and kindle doesn't recognize them at all.
Kindle apps and devices cannot read EPUBs. They are only supported using send-to-kindle which sends them off to Amazon's servers for conversion to formats that are readable on Kindles. Sideloading directly to the Kindle app bypasses this.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:25 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
With a Mac, you can just use Finder and any of your iOS devices can be mounted wirelessly in a persistent manner. No need to connect a wire.

Seems like there should be a way to copy using terminal but I have not figured out how.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 02:51 PM   #8
MonkCanatella

That's right, I think I had heard something along those lines but I'm not super familiar with how all that works. Also I had had some issues getting larger epubs onto the kindle but now I have a way by sideloading kfx files.